• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Central Texas Riding/Camping Adventure Class Opportunity

KsTeveM

Say When
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Pylant
I've been kicking around the idea of doing some small classes in the Luling area where I have family land, 100 acres of mixed terrain, hill climbs, dry creek beds, rocks, open pasture, decent trails I've cut. And I have a 50 mile dual sport gravel travel route, that has some sand thrown in. I'm no Bill Dart or retired racer, but I've been riding for 40 years, learned a few things and have taught/helped many folks over the years. It would probably be more of a camping/gathering that we ride, with a focus to help folks struggling with different aspects or just trying to be prepared for a big out of state trip and need some diversity training/challenge/confidence. I was thinking like once a year, 6 to 10 riders. If it turns into something more, follow my nose. Luling is 1 hour from San Antonio, 1 hour from Austin, 2 hours from Houston. Anybody have any thoughts on this being something folks would like to see? Deep thoughts by Stevo.......

are you going to teach them how to cook a steak with the devil's pitchfork :lol2: Groups of 6-10 is a perfect size.
I have been preparing for this class a long time and have someone in mind to handle steak cooking skills......this person just needs to start thinking outside the box. You can't be truly free until you get rid of those walls that are boxing you in!!

1661955252933.png

I have been preparing for this class a long time and have someone in mind to handle steak cooking skills......this person just needs to start thinking outside the box. You can't be truly free until you get rid of those walls that are boxing you in!!

View attachment 329271
😂😂😂 you and your philosophizing skills

Interested. Improving my slow speed balance is interesting to me. 29 inch inseam 36 inch seat height.😂
Hey there Mr. Redford. First, not happy you have a cool name and I don't. Third, slow speed balance......directly related to weight of the machine/location of the weight vs. needed speed to accomplish forward momentum. I have about a 20 acre pasture to play that game. And depending on your experience/skill, could put you on a small dirt bike to hone the skills to apply to bigger boy. Let's see where this goes and if we can get enough folks together for a fall fun session.

1661969375021.png

Sounds excellent

I think you'll have a hard time limiting it to only a small group!
I've been contemplating doing something for some time. Just been curious of the need and folks trusting in me......not sure about the volume of takers. Lot of folks like seeing that MX name. I guess my dirt cred might can be seen in ride reports, we tend to take the trail less traveled. Also hoping women don't get scared away by typical caveman dirt bike guy....would be doing this on my Mom's property, with my wife and kids present most likely, to include my two teenage daughters that ride. Definitely a family affair, we all ride!!!!

1661970113370.png

Sorry I should have been more clear, slow speed balance over rocky technical sections, especially going uphill.
Yup, got to trust inertia and momentum, your best friends. I have ridden trail bikes all my life. I can zing around decent enough on dirt bikes. Earlier this year I decided to see if I could pull off my trails in Luling on my 2020 Africa Twin. It was fun and I pulled off all of the trails I pointed it at. I definitely have rocks/hill climbs that can be an attention getter on a 500 lb. plus bike. Also found that the silly wheelie control thing still came into play on super steep hill climbs, need to know how to turn off all your nanny controls, not just ABS and TC. My philosophy with doing tough tracks with the Africa Twin.....I wanted to see if I could find the limits of my skill on that big bike close to home before I looked at a trail out of state.....I think I can do that? Better to know, that way you know when to turn around, to save the bike/save your body, so you can keep the adventure going. We can probably find those limits....and maybe stretch to new limits.

1661970739547.png

Last edited:
Very interested. I'm in San Antonio, so just a short haul over to Luling with my modified WR250R.

Would really like to catch up with you and pick your brain about all your BDR trips. I sold another bike and I'm looking for a great BDR bike (Tenere 700 or KTM / Husqvarna 500/501).

Last edited:
Very interested. I'm in San Antonio, so just a short haul over to Luling with my modified WR250R.

Would really like to catch up with you and pick your brain about all your BDR trips. I sold another bike and I'm looking for a great BDR bike (Tenere 700 or KTM / Husqvarna 500/501).
We can catch up and talk BDR anytime, regardless of anything official on a class. You can PM me if it is pressing. If not, we can see what develops.

I could show up and contribute nothing 🤔
Seriously, be glad to have a couple vets around to help with time/efficiency while doing drills/running obstacles in sub groups. Plan is to customize for the needs of the folks coming out and build class/exercises around those needs. Will just be good to have extra hands if someone doesn’t make it up or down an obstacle, many times a nudge or push makes the difference and saves the day. Can’t have too many pushy friends!!

I suppose somebody has to be the confidence booster on the big bike...

I figured the folks wanting some extra help or skills sharpening for adventure rides will mostly be on big bikes. Afterall, the sales and marketing push folks that direction. And Chris Burch and Paul Torres make it look easy 😀

1661993058129.jpeg

I’m cool with all skill levels and bikes. Some may just want to come and enjoy the fellowship, trails and hone some camping and packing skills. A successful BDR week plus trip involves a lot of different facets, a mx guy or gal may not have those arrows in their quiver. We rode with a super experienced mx guy a few years ago. When we started hitting hard trails, rocks, creek crossings, and off camber etc., he started realizing they are different skills completely and have to be learned. And practiced I would say.

1661993158786.jpeg

I figured the folks wanting some extra help or skills sharpening for adventure rides will mostly be on big bikes. Afterall, the sales and marketing push folks that direction. And Chris Burch and Paul Torres make it look easy 😀

View attachment 329329

I’m cool with all skill levels and bikes. Some may just want to come and enjoy the fellowship, trails and hone some camping and packing skills. A successful BDR week plus trip involves a lot of different facets, a mx guy or gal may not have those arrows in their quiver. We rode with a super experienced mx guy a few years ago. When we started hitting hard trails, rocks, creek crossings, and off camber etc., he started realizing they are different skills completely and have to be learned. And practiced I would say.

AView attachment 329330

Yeah... I'm not one of those pro riders, but I have been the guy riding a DR650 on trails giving confidence to the newer guys on smaller bikes. I could use to put the Twin through it's paces off-road and need sand practice in particular.

Yeah I figure I’ll show up and give Pro Tips about crutches and such. Who knows I might bring my devils fork and burn meat and talk smart.

Hey look my new brace has KTM colors. I’m pretty sure it is a knock off as it says Acme rocket on the inside in small print.
9C8BE5B2-0C84-42B3-A566-85FF98FD3D51.jpeg

Back