• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Central Texas Riding/Camping Adventure Class Opportunity

I've been kicking around the idea of doing some small classes in the Luling area where I have family land, 100 acres of mixed terrain, hill climbs, dry creek beds, rocks, open pasture, decent trails I've cut. And I have a 50 mile dual sport gravel travel route, that has some sand thrown in. I'm no Bill Dart or retired racer, but I've been riding for 40 years, learned a few things and have taught/helped many folks over the years. It would probably be more of a camping/gathering that we ride, with a focus to help folks struggling with different aspects or just trying to be prepared for a big out of state trip and need some diversity training/challenge/confidence. I was thinking like once a year, 6 to 10 riders. If it turns into something more, follow my nose. Luling is 1 hour from San Antonio, 1 hour from Austin, 2 hours from Houston. Anybody have any thoughts on this being something folks would like to see? Deep thoughts by Stevo.......
I think it’s a great idea. You may need to do one a month instead of one a year. 😇😁 I and a buddy recently got a 2021 and 2016 ATs. I differently need help off road. 😞. Please post dates for events. 😁

I've been kicking around the idea of doing some small classes in the Luling area where I have family land, 100 acres of mixed terrain, hill climbs, dry creek beds, rocks, open pasture, decent trails I've cut. And I have a 50 mile dual sport gravel travel route, that has some sand thrown in. I'm no Bill Dart or retired racer, but I've been riding for 40 years, learned a few things and have taught/helped many folks over the years. It would probably be more of a camping/gathering that we ride, with a focus to help folks struggling with different aspects or just trying to be prepared for a big out of state trip and need some diversity training/challenge/confidence. I was thinking like once a year, 6 to 10 riders. If it turns into something more, follow my nose. Luling is 1 hour from San Antonio, 1 hour from Austin, 2 hours from Houston. Anybody have any thoughts on this being something folks would like to see? Deep thoughts by Stevo.......
Always interested in a good uncontrolled fall! Count me in, depending on dates.

Ok, I need to regroup. Have had a lot of you that either committed via sending me a PM or mentioned wanting to be included in this thread. Keeping with my original idea of a small group around a half dozen, I'm already looking at 5 different sessions/weekends of my time.....and I am sure that number could grow. I wasn't planning on this kind of response. I figured on having a couple gatherings a year. My biggest concern is liability.....and with this many interested this is a statistical issue that concerns me. No different than when you do a big group ride, odds increase of having a bike or human issue that derails the group ride. I'm going to do some talking with my family, please press pause on this idea for now. I apologize for any inconvenience in excitement!!

Thank you for taking the initiative on this matter and offering your time, place, and knowledge.
Pause acknowledged.
Riding NM portion of CDR and BDR October 10-21.

Did some trail maintenance this past weekend.

1663593377753.png

Did a lot of thinking while working out there.......

1663593407895.png

1663593580348.png

1663593927062.png

I do a lot of trimming by hand.....and sometimes bring out the big guns.

1663593640675.png

Mostly worked all day Saturday, not much riding for me. Can't wait for cooler weather, got a little overheated. Jumped on my bike and did a quick pass through some freshly trimmed stuff and then went to cool off in a creek.

1663593756033.png

1663593992344.png

I've done a lot of thinking and talking with others on how to move forward having some folks out now and then. I am going to do the first gathering Oct 21-23 and invite the first 6 or 7 folks that sent me PMs with their email. I am still worried about liability and decided I won't be charging any money, I will put out a donation bucket and go from there. I will be sending an email to the folks that PMd me with their email address and will include more specifics so we can discuss further. If people can't come that weekend, I will go down the "waiting list" in the order I receive PMs with people's contact info. If you didn't send me a PM with your email, you are not on the list.

Will see how this first one goes and let that determine how I will navigate things in the future. For now, ride and be cool!!!!

1663594038322.png

I have 3 confirmed for 10/21/22, listed below. Plus @misterk confirmed to come hang/help.

@William Wolfen
@Fugi
@gixxerjasen

If you were one of the interested folks that sent me a PM, check your PM Inbox and/or your email. If I don't hear back, I will move down the list of the other interested folks early next week. Looking forward to cooler weather and hanging out!!!

1663967315052.png

I have 3 confirmed for 10/21/22, listed below. Plus @misterk confirmed to come hang/help.

@William Wolfen
@Fugi
@gixxerjasen

If you were one of the interested folks that sent me a PM, check your PM Inbox and/or your email. If I don't hear back, I will move down the list of the other interested folks early next week. Looking forward to cooler weather and hanging out!!!

View attachment 330932
Hang (no pun intended) LOL, also I am at the expert level of bike catching
3A122889-EDED-4CB0-BED2-FBC29B4F0943.jpeg

EC11A8B0-4A18-46B9-8B31-87BECBBF2583.jpeg

I don’t, I gave my original Tensa to a friend of mine.

I'll have to get one eventually. Definitely if I get to doubt a lot more riding and camping. Right now I don't do it often enough to justify the expense. I just pick places with trees.

I figured we would get into some camping conversations. And I will probably get a pulse on the hammock fetish.

It's all relative to the quality of your gear. I've been some amazing places with no trees and you couldn't get there carrying a bunch of kit and poles. I've learned that for maximum experience you need maximum flexibility. It's not for everyone.

Given my injuries, if I need to camp and can't get there with a bike, I'm probably not going. Back injury dictates that I'm not carrying a pack.

It's all relative to the quality of your gear. I've been some amazing places with no trees and you couldn't get there carrying a bunch of kit and poles. I've learned that for maximum experience you need maximum flexibility. It's not for everyone.
Steve you and I are the perfect extremes of “camp to ride” vs. “ride to camp”.

If we compared tours side by side, at 3pm on any given day here is what I imagine.

3pm Steve: “come on guys we can plow through this single track and climb that rocky, rutted, muddy hill. “

3pm Kevin: “shhh, be quiet guys, I am taking a nap” 😂

Steve you and I are the perfect extremes of “camp to ride” vs. “ride to camp”.

If we compared tours side by side, at 3pm on any given day here is what I imagine.

3pm Steve: “come on guys we can plow through this single track and climb that rocky, rutted, muddy hill. “

3pm Kevin: “shhh, be quiet guys, I am taking a nap” 😂

Put me down as splitting the difference!

Back