• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Challenge 2009 and beyond - Historical Marker Run

Re: Challenge 2009 and beyond

No doubt Scott (M38A1) will post up about 400 of them. :lol2:
How 'bout a few more?

Alameda Cemetery

Bob's Oil Well

Center City Community

Curtis Airfield

Edwards County Courthouse

The Geographic Center of Tejas

Helena

Kimble County Courthouse

Kinney County Courthouse

Gunfight at the Lampassas Saloon

Judge Roy Bean/Langtry

Charles Lindbergh in Texas

London Post Office

Luckenbach

Pana Maria

Pecos River Bridge

Real County Courthouse

Refugio County Courthouse

Sam Houston's Grave

St. Matthews Church

Teacup Mountain

Trueue De Union

ValVerde Church

ValVerde County Courthouse

YO Ranch

Whew.... That ought to keep you busy.

Why has it taken me half a year to see this thread? :doh:

I'm in. I got a few photos, some with the bike in the pic.

I'll have to wait until I get back to Texas before I can post....still packing for the trip home.

So we can post any historical markers we have? Are we keeping track of how many there are and how many are posted?
I believe Mavrick said he'd take control of the administration of this thread. As for ones we had, I just went through my archives and pulled them to a single folder.

Marker 5465002556
Hood's Devil's River Fight - The men of Company G, a small unit of the U. S. 2nd cavalry, left Fort Mason on July 5, 1857, under the command of Lt. John Bell Hood (1831-1879), in pursuit of Comanche Indians in the vicinity. Traveling northwest, they discovered a fresh Indian trail leading southward toward Mexico. Crossing bluffs near the Devil's River on July 20, the men encountered an Indian camp on a ridge about two miles from the steam, marked by a white flag. Suspecting an ambush, Hood proceeded cautiously toward the ridge. A small band of Indians advanced to meet Hood's party. Then, throwing down the flag to signal their concealed allies, the Indians attacked. Outnumbered, and hampered by brush fires set by Indian women, the soldiers were forced into fierce hand-to-hand combat. They heard the loud cries of Comanche women through the smoke and dust, indicating an Indian retreat. Two cavalrymen, William Barry and Thomas Ryan, were killed, and five others, including Hood, were wounded. Later reports revealed that nineteen Indians were killed, and many more wounded. Hood and his men were later cited for valor in army reports. 1987)

JVRx7

Forum Supporter
Palo Duro Canyon
Marker #: 5437003918
Year Dedicated: 1936
Size, type: 36' Centennial - Subject Marker (gray)

Last edited:
I saw a Historical Markers Contest thread over on Dual Sport Riders of Louisiana and noticed one of the TWT members from east of the Sabine and Mississippi Rivers posting in the thread and thought I would post a link to it here. Doug did a great job as usual on the photos and the report.

Doug's Historical Markers

Here is a link to the all the photo threads in the contest/fund raiser...
Photo submissions

or to the entire Sub-Forum on the "Race to Historical Markers"
Race to Historical Markers - Sub-Forum