• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Channeling Doug...made a tool.

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
So..I was putting fork seals in @GlFlyers GSXR and needed to compress the spring and spacer far enough to expose the damper rod threads and jamb nut to install the cap but the rod kept falling down in the tube and the springs were too stiff to compress.

I know I can buy a rod tool but I thought I'd make one and also use / modify a shock spring compressor tool.

Anyway...had everything but a 10mm 1.0 pitch threaded nut so it was pretty easy to make.
14ef8867567fb41ffb31526929336faf.jpg
e3f9068055f210225fc112e6acf22995.jpg
b563c5e2550c2dd296cb9c9833f7ac73.jpg
075bfc9cd27dddede68aa0bc3095c973.jpg
b23028522e1046be1b2b0456feb554ae.jpg
4f94fc435ce7d3bad136d2455a944441.jpg
7c69139fe1b6a3dc01b57b229f46728a.jpg
60a63c01968c0f669e2e03ed93bdf1bc.jpg
7caeaeb2e3fc8c23976492f652f635f9.jpg
18a7d6e9aab53630621564d9e0cf39ed.jpg
e9d54ce3e6454b1c22f6f6a7bafdf012.jpg
9cd7f69d429952be479a4a4cf3c052a2.jpg

Your tool took more skill to make. :)

Mine can barely be called "making" a tool as all I really did was weld 2 nuts together and attach some all thread.

Then again...I did use a welder and a grinder...so I decided it qualified. :)

Yours is fantastic, I like to see variations on fork spring compressors. Don't sell yourself short, I like it!

I like it. You done good.
Totally understand how that happens..."I need a thing to hold the thing like this so I can do this without this".

Is that a fluxcore machine?

There's a lot of love in this thread ...

Thanks all. I feel loved. :)

Monica, yes, it's a flux core. It can actually run, stick, shielded mig and tig if I bought the appropriate shielding gas and tig torch.

It's my first welder and I'm still learning. My welds are strong, but usually not pretty. :)

Ugly welds are ok. I have a bunch of stuff I am still learning at 60. But that dang lathe has been very handy a time or two.

Ugly welds are ok. I have a bunch of stuff I am still learning at 60. But that dang lathe has been very handy a time or two.

I have four welders and plasma but use my lathes all the time. Have made many job specific tools.

Your tool took more skill to make. :)

Mine can barely be called "making" a tool as all I really did was weld 2 nuts together and attach some all thread.

Then again...I did use a welder and a grinder...so I decided it qualified. :)
I bow to all those who are talented enough to make their own tools.:hail:

Thanks all. I feel loved. :)

Monica, yes, it's a flux core. It can actually run, stick, shielded mig and tig if I bought the appropriate shielding gas and tig torch.

It's my first welder and I'm still learning. My welds are strong, but usually not pretty. :)
Oh nice. Multivoltage unit? Big one? I've got a little 110v but I've long eyeballed the Hobart MVP 210 that can do all the processes.
Don't worry, practice and it'll be fine. My welds are 'eh'. But they get better when I'm welding a lot. If I need something more important then it goes to a pro lol
I think the most major thing I built was a sheet metal brake out of 1/4" angle iron and strap. Was fun to run the heck out of the welds. Most delicate project was welding hex nuts to the top of the torx head bolts INSIDE the truck cab...don't burn down the truck, don't burn down the truck, don't burn down the truck....

Oh nice. Multivoltage unit? Big one? I've got a little 110v but I've long eyeballed the Hobart MVP 210 that can do all the processes.
Don't worry, practice and it'll be fine. My welds are 'eh'. But they get better when I'm welding a lot. If I need something more important then it goes to a pro lol
I think the most major thing I built was a sheet metal brake out of 1/4" angle iron and strap. Was fun to run the heck out of the welds. Most delicate project was welding hex nuts to the top of the torx head bolts INSIDE the truck cab...don't burn down the truck, don't burn down the truck, don't burn down the truck....
It's the Vulcan OmniPro 220 from Harbor Freight. I think it's a bit funny that "pro" is in the name of a Harbor Freight brand but its actually a pretty decent unit for the $$. It can do 120/220 and up to about 1/2 inch so fairly versatile.

I've had it a bit over a year and am on my second 5 pound spool of wire and aside from burning a few tips up a bit faster than I thought normal, it's done pretty much exactly what I've asked it to do.

My coolest project so far was welding support trusses on the front axles of my jeep XJ and my son's JK. Lots of welding there.

My next big project is building a rear bumper for it. It will be my first project where I build something from scratch....good thing my jeep isn't a show jeep. :)

Back