• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Check your buckles and loops!

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Yeah, this could have been REALLY ugly this afternoon. I'm leaning against a stair rail on some steps shooting and chatting with a guy. I casually look down and notice one strap is no longer attached to the body. I've got the body/lens (D4s/70-200/2x converter) cradled in my arms at the time. Wow.

So check those plastic parts and make sure all your straps are tight!

This was a SmugMug (Smuggie) strap they gave all their customers. Not too pleased as it was in service less than a year.
i-nfZFfk7-XL.jpg

I've noticed all the newer stuff seems to have plastic buckles or metal fasteners I deem suspect. I'm particularly suspect of the nylon buckles.

http://news.smugmug.com/2010/08/09/smugmug-camera-strap-fail/

SmugMug camera strap fail

We thought we were doing an awesome thing by giving away 20,000 stretchy comfy grippy camera straps. Until recently, all we heard was how cool the straps are.

But we’ve heard a few disturbing reports of the clips failing on some straps, so we thought we’d better put out an alert. Problem is, we’ve given these away at places like SmugMug user group meetings, so we don’t have a way to contact everyone who received them. Please pass this along to anyone you know with our straps.

We have 15,000 new straps coming this week and we asked the manufacturer to put much bigger clips on the new ones (click to see bigger):

I bought one of these and really like it. It has plastic hardware, but seems to be pretty sturdy. It came with a backup lanyard just in case.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Joby-JB01302-BWW-Sling-Strap-Charcoal/dp/B00GNIH79A?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage"]Amazon.com : Joby JB01302-BWW Pro Sling Strap for DSLRs (L-XXL) (Black/Charcoal) : Tripods : Camera & Photo[/ame]

Last edited:
Back