• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cheeseburger Loop 12/14

I’m a newbie as well but I see some areas of improvement.

Seems like you’re new to riding in the dirt. Do you feel you were going to fast?

What kind of surface was it? Did you air your tires down (it helps)?

Ultimately, the main issue I see is that it looks like you tried to lean with the bike, like in asphalt. For dirt you should do the opposite. This helps with traction. Unless the camera view is misleading, of course.

That looked painful, glad you’re okay!

I’m a newbie as well but I see some areas of improvement.

Seems like you’re new to riding in the dirt. Do you feel you were going to fast?

What kind of surface was it? Did you air your tires down (it helps)?

Ultimately, the main issue I see is that it looks like you tried to lean with the bike, like in asphalt. For dirt you should do the opposite. This helps with traction. Unless the camera view is misleading, of course.

That looked painful, glad you’re okay!
Kind of a lot of things. Tires weren't aired down, and weren't knobbies. The big thing that got me what that I froze up at the beginning of the turn. This carried me wide to a looser surface, then the front went and it was all over.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

How's the bike? It didn't look like you had any crash bars...
The bike is more or less ok. Handlebars, foot peg, brake pedal, and turn signal. I did not have crash bars, it's on the list behind tires.

The bike is more or less ok. Handlebars, foot peg, brake pedal, and turn signal. I did not have crash bars, it's on the list behind tires.

Crash bars are just about top of the list for my AT now. That's about the only thing keeping me from giving it a go in the gravel. I can deal with the tires til I wear them out. Well, at least the rear one.

Well, I know it's a little late but here's a little clip of a little mishap.

Were you following @MacDaddy ?

I've done that a few times. It's kind of a rite of passage, it seems.

Get an ADV bike
Meet some ADV riders
Go for a ride with them and start having a blast
Go down a dirt road faster than you feel comfortable because they make it look easy
Get into a weird spot and get the deer in headlights adrenaline dump
Make one or two quick mistakes and down you go

It's fortunate you didn't have too many injuries. I've seen that happen and the ambulance had to come.

50/50 tire on the front helps. Using the rear brake off pavement helps.

On the race track, the instructors say front brake only. Off pavement, lots of good riders have told me rear brake only unless its an emergency.

It's tough to make that mental switch when the terrain changes, but it has helped me out a lot.

Crash bars are just about top of the list for my AT now. That's about the only thing keeping me from giving it a go in the gravel. I can deal with the tires til I wear them out. Well, at least the rear one.
I thought that too. Lol.

Ocho and I did a off road training deal down in the Willis area with Bill Dragoo a while back.

If he comes back to town, might be worth checking out. I learned a lot from it.

Ocho and I did a off road training deal down in the Willis area with Bill Dragoo a while back.

If he comes back to town, might be worth checking out. I learned a lot from it.
I'd really like to. I was thinking about making the trip to OK next year, but if he travels then so much the better.

As @William Wolfen and @my6 can testify to, I crashed my Strom on one of the rides. Didn't break any bones but busted up my fairing above the crash bars. I felt lucky to escape with no injuries. Tires make a huge, huge difference! My bike feels so much more planted with 50/50 style tires. I don't really notice much of a difference on pavement. I'll take the wear factor and the little extra noise they make in exchange for the handling and confidence they give off-road. Glad you are ok! Hope to ride with you one of these days.

As @William Wolfen and @my6 can testify to, I crashed my Strom on one of the rides. Didn't break any bones but busted up my fairing above the crash bars. I felt lucky to escape with no injuries. Tires make a huge, huge difference! My bike feels so much more planted with 50/50 style tires. I don't really notice much of a difference on pavement. I'll take the wear factor and the little extra noise they make in exchange for the handling and confidence they give off-road. Glad you are ok! Hope to ride with you one of these days.
What are you running? I'm pretty limited because of 17" wheels. I get tkc80's or Pirelli Scorpion Rally str's...

Get an ADV bike
Meet some ADV riders
Go down a dirt road faster than you feel comfortable because they make it look easy

It's fortunate you didn't have too many injuries. I've seen that happen and the ambulance had to come.

On the race track, the instructors say front brake only. Off pavement, lots of good riders have told me rear brake only unless its an emergency.

It's tough to make that mental switch when the terrain changes, but it has helped me out a lot.
No, that was EETTU.

Get an ADV bike
Meet some ADV riders

I understand what you're getting at, but I tend to avoid anything so black and white about braking. I use both brakes most of the time, on and off pavement, thigh the are times where I'll only use one of them. Rear brake is definitely your friend when you're worried about washing out the front!

What are you running? I'm pretty limited because of 17" wheels. I get tkc80's or Pirelli Scorpion Rally str's...

The TKC80 would probably be a good place to start. The 17" front is one of the biggest limitations of the CB500X. It would have really helped tire selection if they gave it a 19" or 21". The 17" rear isn't an issue. I've always been able to get 17" rear tires for my DR650. Only a couple that were 18" only that I've been interested in.

The TKC80 would probably be a good place to start. The 17" front is one of the biggest limitations of the CB500X. It would have really helped tire selection if they gave it a 19" or 21". The 17" rear isn't an issue. I've always been able to get 17" rear tires for my DR650. Only a couple that were 18" only that I've been interested in.
My only reservation with the Conti is that I commute on the bike a couple of days a week and enjoy twisty roads. I know they don't last long and I've heard they can be a little vague on pavement

I'm pretty limited because of 17" wheels. I get tkc80's or Pirelli Scorpion Rally str's...
My daughter rode a NC700X with 17" wheels.

She wanted to try out the dirt stuff so we put a TKC80 on the front and a Shinko 805 on the back and it really transformed what the bike could do off pavement, especially on a flat, dirt road.

The 17" wheel does limit what technical stuff can be done a bit, but there is so little of that in Texas, it's usually not that much of an issue, in my experience.

If you want something with a little more road manners, the Michelin Anakee Wild is kind of like the TKC80, but feels better at high speed in a paved corner. Not sure if they make that in a 17" though. That said, I've found anything up to about 105 mph feels fine on the TKC80's on pavement. Since my daughter's NC700X topped out around 100mph, it was never an issue.

The Mitas E07+ was nice on the rear of my Africa Twin. Seemed to hold up well.

Lately, I've been using the Anakee Adventure rear and liking it.

I'm not familiar with that Bridgestone, but I'm planning on a pair of Mitas E07s for my AT (regular front, + rear in my sizes).
Here is a pic of the AX41 front, I replaced an E07 with this one. Just wanted to try it. Was very surprised that being a relatively new rider, I was able to feel a difference. It's more aggressive than the E07 so will probably wear faster.

Yeah, I know the E07 front will be a compromise off road, but the bike is going to see a ton of road miles. I don't want to lose out on wet pavement and braking performance like I would with knobbies.

Back