• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HOUSTON: Cheeseburger Loop - 9th or 10th of March

Which day would you prefer?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Trying to get a group together to take n the Cheeseburger loop 2nd weekend of March. Can do it Saturday or Sunday.

Let me know if you wanna join, there are a few guys on ADVrider crosspost that are interested as well.

ADVrider crosspost (LINK)

Thank you to @Hail_TX for the map and the updated info on the trail below:

• Accessible to all bikes big and small
  • 165 Mile Loop Starting from 105 & 149
  • ~ 65% dirt and gravel
  • ~ 3.75 hours averaging 45mp moving
  • 4 Gas stations flagged to accommodate small tank dual sports
  • Lunch at Yankees clockwise or counter

I did it with @Big Bird a few weeks ago. FYI the bridge on Stubblefield Lake Rd. is still closed. Also, the last portion of the forest road 222 is closed (if you are going counter-clockwise), keep going straight to take 214.

Last edited:
The gas station in Bedas is closed on Sunday.

There is a nice shiney new "Smiley's" store on the corner. It even has tables inside and a grill. It is open on Sundays. I think it is a Shell.

CR 190 on the far West side of the loop, South of Yankees, no longer goes through. There is a hunting ranch where it turns back East before FM 3090 and apparently they were able to get the county to close the road. It is a padlocked gate. You have to go down FM 244 to FM 3090.

Here are a few alternates,

The pink route is for stopping to get gas in Anderson and running more of FM 3090, or you can jump to the blue route and get gas in Navasota.

I put a way point marker where the closed gate is located on 190. Also, if you are heading East on the blue route, there is a hidden stop sign right around a corner. It is a T intersection, so you cannot blow it and keep going. You'll end up in a barbed wire fence.

I'm a "maybe" for now. We are going vacation the next week and I will have to get permission...lol!
I know the area well around Bedias and Iola. There are alternatives to the long straights you mentioned and all dirt roads. At the very least I can offer some tracks I have. Let me know

Joe

... Also, if you are heading East on the blue route, there is a hidden stop sign right around a corner. It is a T intersection, so you cannot blow it and keep going. You'll end up in a barbed wire fence.

Sounds like you speak from experience. :)

I'm a "maybe" for now. We are going vacation the next week and I will have to get permission...lol!
I know the area well around Bedias and Iola. There are alternatives to the long straights you mentioned and all dirt roads. At the very least I can offer some tracks I have. Let me know

Joe

Hey man, hope you can make it, would definitely be awesome to ride with someone who knows the area!

Hey everyone! I added a poll on top of the page to help decide which day would be best for everyone.

Thanks

Sounds like you speak from experience. :)

It surprised me, but I was able to stop in time because I wasn't going real fast ;-) I have had enough close calls with cars/trucks being on the wrong side of the roads that I go pretty slow around blind corners.

Here are your options to get around the Stubblefield bridge,

The Walker Loop off FM 1791 is mostly dirt with a bit of broken pavement in a few places.

Forest Service closes damaged roads
in Sam Houston National Forest

Sections of roads damaged by rain and flooding in the Sam Houston National Forest are closed until the U.S. Forest Service can make repairs.

On the west side of the forest, portions of Forest Service Roads 222, 233, 234, 209 and 271 are closed, according to Acting District Ranger Mary Hughes Frye.

As a result, there is no access for day-use or camping at Kelly’s Pond and the trailhead for the Multiple Use Trail is closed due to wet conditions.

“We will begin repairs on these roads as soon as the ground dries out enough to use heavy equipment,” Frye said. “We know this is frustrating for the public and it is frustrating for us as well. If we can get a few days of dry weather we will be out making repairs.”

Roads are closed to all traffic and are not safe for any vehicle.

I've ridden the Cheesesburger loop many times but don't know All the road numbers, might check the above out. 209 is definitely part of it.

Last edited:
233, 222, and 210 are the roads that go from FM 1375, by the Trade Center, past the East side trail head, and drops out on FM 1374. I have a good idea where it is damaged. The last few times through there on my GS have been a little rough, but not a problem.

209 is the one that goes from FM 1791 over to Taliaferro Rd. I just did it about a week and a half ago. Over on the end by Taliaferro, it was washed out pretty good and rough. No problem for any DS bike, but good luck convincing some Ranger of that if they catch you trying to get through while it is closed! The tickets are expensive if I recall correctly.

CR 190 on the far West side of the loop, South of Yankees, no longer goes through. There is a hunting ranch where it turns back East before FM 3090 and apparently they were able to get the county to close the road. It is a padlocked gate. You have to go down FM 244 to FM 3090.

Here are a few alternates,
View attachment 228054

The pink route is for stopping to get gas in Anderson and running more of FM 3090, or you can jump to the blue route and get gas in Navasota.

I put a way point marker where the closed gate is located on 190. Also, if you are heading East on the blue route, there is a hidden stop sign right around a corner. It is a T intersection, so you cannot blow it and keep going. You'll end up in a barbed wire fence.
When did they close that? They just finished a new bridge there last year (oldold lost during Harvey). I made it through CR190 last summer both before and after the bridge was finished.

On a more general note, there are numerous different cheeseburger loop routes. This one is a little different than my usual one. I've also had to modify mine on the fly to accommodate Stubblefield being bridgeless and CR190 having a cylinder problem for a while. Here's my usual one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8zdu8wl7an0jdr/CB_Loop.gpx?dl=0

I'll be keeping an eye on this. I've healed up now, but I'm still having some arm muscle pain issues when riding. Might be worth it to me to try. Haven't done any dual sporting since September!

Last edited:
When did they close that? They just finished a new bridge there last year (oldold lost during Harvey). I made it through CR190 last summer both before and after the bridge was finished.

Unless it has changed since I was last out there, it has been over a year. They had a massive pile of dirt on each end of the bridge and barricades to keep people from going over it. To one side of the bridge was a new locked gate with a dirt road going down through the creek bed and up the other side. It had a nice big no trespassing sign. I guess it is entirely possible that they replaced the bridge and reopened it :shrug: I sure hope so because I liked having that little section to run South from Yankees.

Unless it has changed since I was last out there, it has been over a year. They had a massive pile of dirt on each end of the bridge and barricades to keep people from going over it. To one side of the bridge was a new locked gate with a dirt road going down through the creek bed and up the other side. It had a nice big no trespassing sign. I guess it is entirely possible that they replaced the bridge and reopened it :shrug: I sure hope so because I liked having that little section to run South from Yankees.
Then I can confirm it's open. I remember the piles and barricades from when the bridge was washed out. The creek crossing is on private property, but the gate was open for some time due to construction. But there's a new bridge now and it's clear to get through on the road.

Back