• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Chispa Road/Pinto Canyon Road/Pie Run

Here's another West Texas/Chispa/Ruidosa/etc two-wheeled adventure (a real one). Same area, solo rider, no motor.
Very cool and awesome read.
(the link is a pdf file of his story)

Great RR, fantastic pictures. Thanks so much for sharing, I really enjoyed it.

I think the next time I do this ride I will start from Van Horn, ride Chispa Road to RM-170, RM-170 to Pinto Canyon Road, to 2810. This is 116 miles, 36 paved, 80 dirt. Those in the group that have had enough dirt for the day can take 2810 to Marfa, then US-90 to Van Horn, all paved. The rest of us can turn around and do the route backwards. Maybe take in Hot Springs Road and a different fork of Chispa Road.

Great report and pics Ken. :clap: :clap: Makes me wish I had a dual sport. I might have have to check around and see it I can find a T-Dub. It's about the only dual sport a short guy like me would be able to ride. :lol2:
Marty

Great report and pics Ken. :clap: :clap: Makes me wish I had a dual sport. I might have have to check around and see it I can find a T-Dub. It's about the only dual sport a short guy like me would be able to ride. :lol2:
Marty

Check into the old Honda SL100 and XL100. Very low seat height for a dualsport bike. 40 pounds lighter than a TW200. SL/XL125 engines bolt right in. Poweroll stroker in a 125 with 30 over gives about 160cc. Add a diaghram carb off a CB350, cam with a little lift, a Bassani TDSQ pipe, and electronic ignition, then clean up the head a bit, and you have power very similar to a TW200. There are a host of engine upgrades available, like magnesium top end castings, cams, bigger valves, close ratio 5- and 6-speed transmissions, better clutches, pipes, etc. 30+hp is possible, but a good dualsport for cruising about in the boonies only needs half that. Real 15w fork oil and a good set of aftermarket shocks will provide safe and sure handling at the moderate speeds I ride, and the seat is many times better than any small dualsport seat sold today.

Pulling this one back up, as I found it on a google search.

Three of us are riding out of Midland in a couple of weeks. We are heading straight to Rio Grande Village for the night (tent camping). Then we are riding up the river road (the dirt portion through the Park), then the River Road to Presidio, all the way to Candeleria and then up the Chispa Road.

As far as you all know....is the Chispa Road still open and passable?

We will be on KTM 950 Adventure bikes.

Anyone have any tips, info or advice?

Great ride report. You definitely drive home the point to be prepared along the desolate sections outside of the Big Bend Park with sufficient amount of water.

Back