• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Chuck, my best friend.

jfink

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Fink
Some of you know my good buddy, Chuck (cthrall). I had lunch with him Thursday, June 23rd, and he seemed fine. Saturday, two days later, he was tested positive for Covid. His temperature on Saturday was 100, but by Tuesday it had climbed to 104.5. Over his objection, five days after diagnosis, he was unceremoniously loaded into an ambulance and taken to St. Lukes in the Houston medical center. St. Lukes is the top hospital in Houston dedicated to fighting Covid. Chuck has acknowledged that being admitted was the right thing. And my daughter tells me, his doctor is one of the top Covid experts in the country. Chuck has had a serum transfusion, which is the number one treatment at this time for Covid, but it hasn't helped. They have started Acetemra, a rheumatoid arthritis drug, used experimentally with Covid. It reduces inflammation, but at the same time can have some very negative side effects. I'm not in the medical field and I'm only relaying what I have heard. It is all very bad.

I was texting with him early on, but as this has gone on, he was saying it was becoming difficult to answer all the well wishers and question askers, so I have limited my texting. I did receive a text from him today. In typical Chuck fashion he was more worried about his wife being left alone and frightened. It is very difficult listening or reading texts from the sidelines, unable to visit and offer positive support. Or see for myself how serious this is. I DO understand the need to remain distanced and not to risk further infections. I have been tested negative. I also know it is better for the medical support staff to not have a bunch of well wishers unfoot. With all that understood though, it is still very frustrating.

I don't know if Chuck will read this, but just know I am wishing and praying for a positive outcome. Sorry buddy when you do read this, I just had to have an outlet for this pent up anxiety. Hopefully, others can support Chuck in any way you know or believe.

Prayers sent.

Just throwing this out there. One doc is saying this is the silver bullet:

“The treatment plan is inhaled, generic budesonide (via nebulizer), using some generic antibiotics to protect from a secondary bacterial infection. Using zinc, which interferes with virus replication.”

This is terrible news. Wishing Chuck a speedy and full recovery.

I almost couldn't believe this post. From prior conversations I know he took the virus very seriously and took precautions to the nth degree. You just never know.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Praying for Chuck, his family and you Joe as his friend.

Wow, in total shock here. So sorry to hear the news, and please let him know we will be keeping him in our prayers. Been awhile since I've had to pleasure to see him, but he was in great form then for sure, so hopefully he'll beat it and get back on two wheels before too long. Hang in there, Joe.

I rode off road with a small group on Friday who are not taking Covid too serious .... this is another example “don’t mess around with viruses”.

i pray for a speedy recovery for him.

The one time I met him I really enjoyed it and his stories. Will pray for him .

Hate hearing this Joe. Best wishes for Chucks recovery and strength for his by his distant side.

Prayers for Chucks rapid and complete recovery and peace of mind, strength and comfort for wife and family (and Chuck).

Last edited:
Sorry buddy when you do read this, I just had to have an outlet for this pent up anxiety.

Never apologize for that. And never pass up an outlet for the anxiety.
If someone objects, they can go to that really warm place.
Best wishes for everyone affected by this micro monster, whether we've met or not.
Tell Chuck we'll save pie for him to get well. That seems to be quite the motivator 'round these parts.

Rydah told us about this tonight at the Wednesday dinner and it was hard to hear. Chuck always seems to be in good health and hopefully that'll help him through this. Hang in there Joe and let Chuck know the Clear Lake bunch are all praying for him. I know it's probably not a major concern at this point, but has anyone had any thoughts how he got exposed?

Rydah told us about this tonight at the Wednesday dinner and it was hard to hear. Chuck always seems to be in good health and hopefully that'll help him through this. Hang in there Joe and let Chuck know the Clear Lake bunch are all praying for him. I know it's probably not a major concern at this point, but has anyone had any thoughts how he got exposed?

Chuck was very aggressive, certainly more than me, about being safe. I suspect they did a contact history but I doubt there is any definitive answers for how he caught it. I think I may have been the initial suspect, because he had had lunch with me two days before he was diagnosed. But I tested negative. The weekend before he and his wife had gone to Fredericksburg, so it may have been there. But his wife tested negative. I don't think it will ever be known.

Chuck has been up and down with this. Just a few days ago he sent me a text saying his temperature was 98, his oxygen level was 98 percent and the disease markers were all coming down. It sounded great. Two days later they had him sign consent to go onto a ventilator. If he has gone on a ventilator, it is usually two or three weeks of sedation and treatment. And I suspect little information.

Prayers sent.

Just throwing this out there. One doc is saying this is the silver bullet:

“The treatment plan is inhaled, generic budesonide (via nebulizer), using some generic antibiotics to protect from a secondary bacterial infection. Using zinc, which interferes with virus replication.”
I just got a text link about this too. Dont know if its snake oil or what. Not endorsing this!

Chuck did go onto a ventilator on Thursday and is also on heavy sedation because of the trach' tube. That same day, he had several blot clots that had to be removed surgically. Apparently, when O2 levels fall, the blood thickens and is susceptible to clotting. He had a couple good days after that, but had another clot last night, that needed to be surgically removed. During a time he was out of sedation, he wrote a note to his nurse that said, that when he was a child, being like this was his nightmare.

This is horrible news. I am like Chuck in trying to stay healthy and not wanting to go to the hospital. I don't pray often but I will do so now and send 1000% of my best wishes go straight to him and his family.
Joe, Chuck and I have never met but if he is your friend, he has to be a great guy. rick h

Dang. Hate to hear this. We have a list of folks we're praying for right now because of Covid. One family is recovering. Another just recently got infected despite all the masks, social distancing, etc,... They were being extra careful because of elderly parents. Husband, wife and daughter all have it now. Don't know about the elderly parents. Mine are still hiding out and trying to play it safe.

An update. I get these from his wife's facebook posts so there isn't much more that I can add. They have started a morphine like drug to reduce his coughing. His coughing is causing him to not be able to raise his O2 level. They have also NOT done a tracheotomy to remove the ventilation tube from his mouth. They are concerned since he is now septic. They have started antibiotics to reduce the infection and lower his fever. He is obviously still in critical condition and still fighting.

Back