• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Chuck, my best friend.

His wife's update today says that he has had one negative test for Covid and if the second one returns a negative they will move him out of the Covid ICU ward into a transitional ward. She also said he sat up and had a meal today. It all sounds like good progress. Thank you everyone for your prayers and thoughts.

Final update for a while anyway: I just got through texting, just a little bit, with Chuck. He was telling me that he was as exhausted as he has ever been yesterday, just dancing with some big burly guy getting into and out of bed. But I didn't press. I make it a point not to ask about what Chuck does in the privacy of his own room. We shared a few jabs, but it was clear that he is making progress. He did say they Doctors have told him that much of his lung capacity has been destroyed, but that it can be rebuilt through exercise. It sounded to me that he has a long way to go, but that he is going to put in the effort to get there.

Thanks again for well wishes and prayers.

Thanks for keeping us updated . Chuck is a cool dude , cooler than you. LOL

Thank God he’s doing so much better. Thanks for the update.

Thanks for the updates, Joe. Glad to hear the old boy is doing better, and hope Karen is getting through all this okay too. I know it must be hard.

Thank you for all the well wishes and prayers. It is very uplifting. I do prefer to dance with the big burly guys now. You just can’t believe how it can wear you out to get out of a bed, take one step, sit down, eat a meal of mystery, sit there for another two hours a then get back into bed. Hardest thing I have ever done. I have two goals. First is to develop enough strength to make it three steps across the room to the commode in the corner so I can get off the bedpan. Second is to develop enough additional lung capacity so I don’t need supplemental oxygen. I will do it but it will be a few weeks for the latter. What I have officially had is the Covid 19 pneumonia. I f it goes for the lungs it takes time to rebuild them. Set me out on my corner without an oxygen supply and I would be dead in less than a hour.
Thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers.

Good to hear from you! Awesome. I was nowhere near as sick as you, still working on getting some endurance back. Slow going.

Great news, Chuck! Hope the recovery goes quickly, but sounds like heading in the right direction for sure :thumb:

I’m feeling better today but still on bedpan. One looses all modesty here. When getting washed off I keep telling the nurses to be gentle because I’m delicate. But they scrub like there’s no tomorrow. I think they may still suffer from p... s envy and this is their chance to even the score. Again, thank you all for your well wishes and prayers.

:lol2:
Hang in there Chuck. Some people pay for that.

How you doing? Hope you’ve been able to loose your dance partner.

Was just wondering if you are home yet?

Was just wondering if you are home yet?

He's not. Probably won't be home for at least a couple months. Still having trouble breathing and getting out of bed. Making progress though, just very slow. I am not sure how often he gets on the site at this point.

I talked to Chuck yesterday for the first time since he went into the hospital. He sounded good, although muffled through his oxygen mask. He is tired of potatoes. Apparently, he gets them for every meal (except breakfast). Although no longer pureed, everything is still chopped up. As you might expect, he has lost some weight. He is 6' 4", normally around 200, but is down to 168 lbs. He says they will let him out as soon as his oxygen requirements can be met by a home unit. May be in one or two weeks. After that ???

Back