• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Chuck, my best friend.

Joe,

Chuck might want to request a full vitamin panel if possible. Hospital food is very bland and he probably is low on various levels including D (lack of mid-day sun doesn't' help) and the B complex if he has not eaten much meat.

RB

Joe,

Chuck might want to request a full vitamin panel if possible. Hospital food is very bland and he probably is low on various levels including D (lack of mid-day sun doesn't' help) and the B complex if he has not eaten much meat.

RB

Thanks, I will pass that along.

sneak some of these chorizo and egg tacos to him. Guaranteed to put the pounds on.

Its got to be rough living in the hospital, I sure hope he gets well soon.

Last edited:
Make sure the eggs are BIG. You know how he hates small eggs. :lol2:

Hospital food is very bland and he probably is low on various levels including D

GOOD bone broth (I make my own) has pulled me and a couple friends back from low times faster than anything else. Beef and chicken.
Good gut bugs have been destroyed by meds, any GOOD fermented food, kraut, kimchee, real pickles, really helps.

I've eaten at a few LTC's, and a couple were pretty bad, but one northbound out of McAllen has ridiculous barbacoa.

Chuck continues to make progress in fits and starts. He was pretty good a week ago, then had a setback with inflammation and infection in his lungs. He seems to be responding to the drugs to get that under control. They are hoping to transfer him to a long term care facility towards the end of the month. Chuck says he is looking forward to making more progress than he has so far. He is down to only requiring about a 20% supplemental O2 supply.

He does know about and appreciates all the prayers and well wishes. "I'm amazed at the number of people pulling for me. It helps me a lot. Touches me emotionally too."

Glad to hear he is making progress and his attitude sounds good. Will continue to pray for him.

Actually, the Vitamin D studies are pretty compelling. And all you need it 20mins of sunshine to get all the D you need. Best between 10am-2pm.

It could explain why the homeless haven't been as vulnerable as expected, and haven't been getting sick in the numbers expected, ie. they're getting more daily sunshine.

I read also that it could possibly explain why folks of color have been disproportionately effected by the virus... because folks of color tend toward vitamin D deficiency due to difficulty synthesizing D or at a much slower rate than those with less skin pigmentation.

Nothing has been absolutely proven, but there appears to be a good deal of evidence.

A lot of what I have looked at indicates that vitamin D is not readily absorbed as a supplement. It has been added it to milk forever.
Sunlight is by far the best way to absorb this essential vitamin. People with high vitamin D values are much less prone to many diseases. It is very true that darker skinned people do not absorb vitamin D from the sun as well.
The dermatologist I see is the head of all Kelsey Seybold. She is awesome and super in touch with skin cancer issues. Every time I see her, she asks if I am staying out of the sun. I could lie, she would see right through it. I have a big time Farmers Tan, face, arms, back of neck and add in my legs to the top of my hiking boots. I am going in for my second Mohs skin cancer removal process. While not fun, the process isn't a very big deal. This one is a Basel cell and the previous one was squamous cell. Neither one has a life threat associated with it.
People with low Vitamin D are subject to tons of other health issues.
Now, back to Chuck...I know every hospital does all they can, they are overwhelmed, I hope sun therapy is part of it.

Chuck has improved enough to be transferred from St. Lukes in Houston to Methodist Long Term Care hospital in Katy. He is still receiving supplemental oxygen and will now receive therapy to help get him back on his feet ... literally. His strength has improved but he still becomes exhausted by the smallest of efforts. He has told me that his hopes are in two or three weeks to get to go home. That's the next goal. Thanks for your continued thoughts and prayers.

Seeing his wife for the first time in 50 days ...
4qCxXYZDOLW3WxSE8_vCpbtS7Q=w494-h508-no?authuser=0.jpg

Seeing his wife for the first time in 50 days ...
I can't imagine. My wife has been hospitalized a couple of times over the last couple of years, the longest of which was about three weeks. Through all of it, I think I missed staying with her three nights. I don't know how I would handle her being sick and not being able to be with her.

I'm glad things are looking a bit better for Chuck. Praying for rapid improvements.

Any new updates? Hope he's close to being able to go home.

Any new updates? Hope he's close to being able to go home.

Not much new. Physically, Chuck is still struggling with lung damage and difficulty breathing. This is going to be a long haul. Several people I have talked to say long periods of isolations in ICU may cause psychosis. From what I have read from his wife's account, it sounds like Chuck may be experiencing some of these symptoms. This Covid thing has made it even more difficult to help from the sidelines.

Joe, keep checking on visiting status.
I know Hermann Hospital System has just started (as of 3 days ago) allowing 1 visitor per day upstairs for those not in isolation, not sure what the policy is at Methodist where he is at.
Have his wife start bugging people about it. He needs the family/friend interaction to help with his sanity and recovery overall.

Several people I have talked to say long periods of isolations in ICU may cause psychosis. From what I have read from his wife's account, it sounds like Chuck may be experiencing some of these symptoms.

Joe,

Can the wife request his favorite music be played on a timer or perhaps a repeat of his favorite movies and better yet, family video?

Fred

Joe,

Can the wife request his favorite music be played on a timer or perhaps a repeat of his favorite movies and better yet, family video?

Fred

I am not sure. I am sorta, twice removed from making recommendations.

I'm thinking the lockdown is inducing psychosis all over the place :-P

I know it is bugging me. I am feeling REALLY restless. The job situation isn't helping. But, at least I am not sick... yet. I would literally go nuts being isolated in ICU for any length of time, even with visitors allowed!

If I didn't have my big Cummins Ford swap to keep me busy I would have already probably lost my mind. We are all praying for you Chuck !!!! I'll be ready to listen to some more of your traveling stories when you get better .

I have been texting with Chuck. His is up to texting, but only every three or four days. He is going through physical therapy now. His therapist told him that he has seen people worse than him recover almost completely. I think that lifted his spirits, at least temporarily.

Back