• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Clarksville-based AR day ride. Any suggested changes?

Reaction score
Looks like a riding buddy (who has never ridden AR) and I are going to be able to grab a few days off the job make a weekday run to the hills. Here's our current plan. Please share any changes you think might make it a better trip or any info you may have on road conditions.

Day 1 - We'll roll from Tyler (after a couple unavoidable work duties) mid-morning Monday and head towards Clarksville. The likely route is up 259, over the Talimena Drive to Mena. Hwy 71, 28 and 27 through Danville. Depending on how much daylight remains, either head "straight" to Clarksville or run up Magazine Mountain on our way there.

Day 2 (the fun day) - AR103 toward Oark, AR215 over to the Pig Trail, east on 16/21 to Ponca. AR74 to Jasper and Mt. Judea. AR123 down to Sand Gap, then AR16 east towards Tilly. Depending on daylight, either head south on AR27 or take it north to Marshall and turn around for the return trip.

Day 3 - Depends on the weather (right now 40% chance of thunder boomers). Either a route similar to Day 1 or the quickest way back.

Those are great roads, 74 and 16 have more deer wandering around and 123 is always worth two runs. Oark pie yum...chocolate

+1 Oark & big fluffy merengue top chocolate creme pie. Umm! Your choice of roads looks very fun. Also some fine eating at Lowgap on hwy 74. Little tiny hole in the wall cafe is literally the only thing in Lowgap, but the guy who runs it is a proper trained chef from the CA wine country, and makes some of the best dishes in the whole County. Stop in you will be pleasantly surprised. Only drawback is they are only open Wed-Sun.

Thanks guys. Looks like coming back Wednesday is likely to be soggy (now 60% chance), but we're a go anyway.

Unfortunately, pie in Oark will have to wait for another day since we'll be passing by there too early in the day.

Is the place in Lowgap this one? http://lowgapcafe.com/ We might be heading through there around lunch time.

Low gap is a fantastic eatery. I know they have limited hours and specials depend on the 5star chefs mood and what he gets in that day.
Rain and weather predictions up there may vary but it will be crisp in the morning and curvy all day.
Jealous. Have fun.

Not sure where your staying in Clarksville, but I've used the Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express right off I-40 there. There's great food across the road from those hotels in what looks like a shady place. It's not. The steaks are awesome and staff friendly. The place is called Crosswoods.

Sorry to hear you can't hit Oark. That place is great and the owners super nice. My friend and I arrived as they were closing, and they gave us each a free slice to go for making the effort to stop by.

Last edited:
Not sure where your staying in Clarksville, but I've used the Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express right off I-40 there. There's great food across the road from those hotels in what looks like a shady place. It's not. The steaks are awesome and staff friendly. The place is called Crosswoods.

Sorry to hear you can't hit Oark. That place is great and the owners super nice. My friend and I arrived as they were closing, and they gave us each a free slice to go for making the effort to stop by.

Thanks for the eatery tip. We'll be staying at the Hampton. Crosswoods sounds like my sort of place, so we'll be sure to check it out.

Oark is certainly on the list for a future trip.

Yep that's the place. There is only one cafe in Lowgap. In fact other than a church, it is the only building in Lowgap! Unfortunately, it sounds like you will not be going by on Wed-Sun.
No one will be there on Mon or Tuesday. The Hub at Marble Falls on 74 north of Jasper has some very good steaks, and is all about serving the biker comunity. Also the Boardwalk cafe in Jasper has a nice menu. There is the Ozark Cafe in Jasper too. Pretty much your typical bubba food emporium, but if you like a decent chicken fried steak and such...it'll do the job.

Hey moderators;
What in the world is going on with my picture? I see on all my posts that it has been replaced by a big blue blur? Wasn't like that last night, don't see anyone else's done that way...what up? Am I getting the "special treatment" because I moved out of Texas, to Arkysaw? Lol

Hey moderators;
What in the world is going on with my picture? I see on all my posts that it has been replaced by a big blue blur? Wasn't like that last night, don't see anyone else's done that way...what up? Am I getting the "special treatment" because I moved out of Texas, to Arkysaw? Lol

Are you referring to your avatar? I see someone standing with a bike. There's nothing set special on your account that is different from anyone else. :shrug:

Last edited:
Are you referring to your avatar? I see someone standing with a bike. There's nothing set special on your account that is different from anyone else. :shrug:

Scott - If you're going to drop in on my thread, can I at least get some insightful tidbits from you about the AR trip? I'm sure you've been up there a lot more than I. :mrgreen:

:LOL2:

I dropped in before that post, but you pretty well had it covered. Plus, the others have all made good suggestions ;-)

The likely route is up 259, over the Talimena Drive to Mena.

May I suggest, on your way to the Talimena drive up 259 that you turn left onto 144 (gas station/restaurant only located there) to Bethel. Bethel is little more than an intersection but just beware that a right turn at the intersection keeps you on 144. Stay on it till you come to the stop sign several scenic miles later. The intersecting roadway you're stopped at is a more developed 144 showing on Google maps. Go straight from the stop sign towards Hanobia. This is now the Indian Highway. It will take you up and over a twisty narrow mountain road eventually ending at 271 a few miles south of Talihena.

The first half is very scenic at times following the top of a ridge/mountain there, and the second half is more technical and tight up and over the mountain.

The beauty of this is that its a very fun run and almost as enjoyable as the Talimena Drive imo. You also gain access to the Talimena Drive from Talihena therefore you ride the whole Talimena drive instead of just half had you entered it from 259.

May I suggest, on your way to the Talimena drive up 259 that you turn left onto 144 (gas station/restaurant only located there) to Bethel. Bethel is little more than an intersection but just beware that a right turn at the intersection keeps you on 144. Stay on it till you come to the stop sign several scenic miles later. The intersecting roadway you're stopped at is a more developed 144 showing on Google maps. Go straight from the stop sign towards Hanobia. This is now the Indian Highway. It will take you up and over a twisty narrow mountain road eventually ending at 271 a few miles south of Talihena.

The first half is very scenic at times following the top of a ridge/mountain there, and the second half is more technical and tight up and over the mountain.

The beauty of this is that its a very fun run and almost as enjoyable as the Talimena Drive imo. You also gain access to the Talimena Drive from Talihena therefore you ride the whole Talimena drive instead of just half had you entered it from 259.

Thanks MacDaddy. I didn't see your post before we rolled, but that sounds like a route to certainly put on the agenda for next trip up that way.

Day 1 - We rolled out of the Tyler area about 9:45 and trudged through N.E. Texas on our way to the good stuff. Lunch in Broken Bow at Oaks (the lunch chicken was OK, but nothing memorable), up 259 to the byway. After passing the lodge, we took the left on 272 to Rich Mtn then 270 over to 71 to avoid the lights and traffic in Mena. North to AR28 (very rural), across to 27.

The few miles coming up over the hills on AR27 and into Danville were a real treat. Diminishing daylight meant we had to skip Mt. Magazine (too many crazy deer up there to ride it at dusk) and head on to the Clarksville Hampton. Dinner across the street at Crosswoods (a sports bar) was pretty decent and substantial. Had the ribeye philly cheesesteak sub and rings.

Day 2 - Breakfast at the hotel then headed north on 103 towards Oark. Since it was way too early for lunch to stop at the general store there, we made the left onto AR215 (one doe crossed in front of me on this stretch) to the good part of the Pig Trail. Then east on 16 to 21 and up to Ponca. We were especially enjoying having these roads almost all to ourselves since there was so little traffic on a Tuesday morning. The perfect riding weather didn't hurt nothing either.

Good thing they have gas pumps in Ponca and the folks at the outfitter store there were quite nice. Cut across 74 to Jasper for lunch at the Ozark Cafe. I somehow managed to stuff down that huge chunk of tasty meatloaf, taters and corn. I'd eat there again.

Back on 74 over to Mt. Judea then time to climb the mighty switchbacks of AR123. The first time I ever rode that stretch was some years ago with a bunch of TWT guys from this area going DOWN the mountain on a loaded-up FJR. I hadn't been warned ahead of time what to expect and concluded that they had conspired with my wife to divvy up the life insurance proceeds.

Upon ascending the hill and riding the continuous twisties over to AR7, we headed south to the intersection with 16 and 123. With some extra daylight remaining, we chose to head east on 16 about 15-20 miles and then turn back. The pavement on 16 wasn't the best we had seen all day, but it's hard to not like a road where you see multiple signs with the snaking arrow, 30 mph and an additional sign below saying "next 2 miles" :mrgreen: AR 123 south back towards Clarksville is a pretty dandy stretch of pavement in its own right and was an enjoyable end to an exceptional day of riding (which also happened to be my birthday).

For dinner, we tried a place called "Pasta Grill" on Rogers in Clarksville. If I had known what a gem this place is, we'd have gone there the first night. Heck, I'd go out of my way to eat there again. Everything was tasty (the Shrimp New Orleans especially so) and the cajun alfredo sauce is wildly good.

Day 3 - We knew that we'd be getting wet. It was only a question of how long and how much. After an early breakfast at the Hampton, we rolled before 8am using a mostly direct route. The ride from Clarksville down through Subiaco and on to where AR23 joins Hwy 71 was pretty enjoyable and dry. The rain began in Mena and stayed with us until Mt. Pleasant. Nothing frightening, just wet. The only place the Roadcrafter let any water through made me look like I'd peed myself. :eek2:

All in all, this was a very enjoyable short hop into AR. It was my riding buddy Blake's first time ever to ride the Ozarks. I doubt that it will be his last.

Back