• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Class M endorsement stories

...Did nobody else get the parking lot test? In about ‘93 in California they had a short “street” course in the dmv parking lot. Slalom, uturn, make the blinkers blink, done...

That's how I got my MC endorsement back in Ohio late 70's. Took parking lot test on my RD400 so had to be careful, no wheelies were allowed. That endorsement has followed me for relicensing in 3 other states since without any further drive testing.

My MC license in Thailand required paperwork only. But my auto license required a very challenging closed course driving test/obstacle course. Lots of tight manuevering, bridge crossing and extended backing up while turning. The official watches you from a 2nd story balcony. Passed it first attempt but possibly I got some leniency being a foreigner.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I remember riding a 1974 Kawasaki 500 H2 to the DMV and doing the circle, figure 8, coming to a complete stop and turning 90 degrees stuff like that. When I came to the complete stop and did the 90 degree turn I never put my feet down, just stopped, turned and went. The DMV guy kept making me do it again and again, he got another tester to come over and watch, then they debated if that was legal or not and asked how the heck I was doing that. It is pretty funny, then didn't know how many hours I had on a trials bike already by the age of 15 and 1/2. They gave in and let me have my license.

I got my endorsement in Germany in 1976, as a young GI. I already had a car license and, to be honest, the hardest part had been passing the written test required by German law -- 100 multiple choice questions, and 100 signs that have to be identified. NObody passes the first time. I missed by 2 on the signs test, immediately retook it, and passed the 2nd time.

When I got my endorsement a few months later, I had never ridden anything larger than a 185 enduro bike, and had never ridden anywhere except trails, creek beds, & pastures. A friend brought a leaky Harley 350 over to the MP building for me to use. An MP told me where he wanted me to ride - basically around the quadrangle at the center of post. He stayed in his 4th floor office, hung out the window, & watched me. When I was done, I went upstairs & he thumped me for tailgating, for a rolling stop through a stop sign, and for being slightly careless about what side of the street I was on. Then he passed me. I then promptly picked up the Yamaha RT1 (360 enduro) I had arranged to buy, put a license plate on it, and proceeded to actually learn how to ride on the street.

When I got back to the States in 1977, I took my USAREUR license, along with my expired Texas license, to a DPS office and they transferred my motorcycle endorsement without a single question.

When I did mine in16 or 17 they told us if we lifted our front wheel we were immediately expelled and failed the class.

I love your story Kubota Mike.

I aced the test because I studied before the class occurred online, and for those of us that were truly interested, the course was a good thing to get your head in the game for street riding.

I remember riding a 1974 Kawasaki 500 H2 to the DMV and doing the circle, figure 8, coming to a complete stop and turning 90 degrees stuff like that. When I came to the complete stop and did the 90 degree turn I never put my feet down, just stopped, turned and went. The DMV guy kept making me do it again and again, he got another tester to come over and watch, then they debated if that was legal or not and asked how the heck I was doing that. It is pretty funny, then didn't know how many hours I had on a trials bike already by the age of 15 and 1/2. They gave in and let me have my license.

a coworker recently got a ticket- he came to a complete stop, but did not put a foot down. he fought it. and lost.

Well that sucks... would like to see the vehicle code for the infraction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Learners at 14. Dec 22, 1973, dad followed me up to DMV. Passed. It was 28F, on a 68 Honda street 90. I almost froze to death riding home. Blue jeans, work boots, blue jean jacket and flannel shirt. I think I had mild hyperthermia, but the excitement and joy was like a glowing red pot belly stove in my heart that day.

Well that sucks... would like to see the vehicle code for the infraction.
Nothing in the Texas Transportation Code (TTC) about a foot having to be put down.

TTC Sec. 544.010:

STOP SIGNS AND YIELD SIGNS.
(a) Unless directed to proceed by a police officer or traffic-control signal, the operator of a vehicle or streetcar approaching an intersection with a stop sign shall stop as provided by Subsection (c).
(c) An operator required to stop by this section shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection. In the absence of a crosswalk, the operator shall stop at a clearly marked stop line. In the absence of a stop line, the operator shall stop at the place nearest the intersecting roadway where the operator has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway.

TTC Sec. 541.401.10:

MISCELLANEOUS TERMS. ...
(10) "Stop" or "stopping" means:
(A) when required, to completely cease movement; and
(B) when prohibited, to halt, including momentarily halting, an occupied or unoccupied vehicle, unless necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or to comply with the directions of a police officer or a traffic-control sign or signal.

Nothing about a foot needing to be put down. Nothing about a time frame for being stopped.
But this is where the interpretation of law comes in. Some can't understand that you can come to a stop without putting your foot down, so if they don't see your foot come down, they write a ticket, and if a judge does not understand you can stop and balance without a foot down, and no video evidence of it, the chances of being found guilty is high.

Reminds me of the joke about the guy from California that did a California stop and it was witnessed by a Texas state trooper.
Trooper pulls him over and tells him he is being pulled over for not coming to a complete stop.
Guy says "That's how we stop in California".
Trooper says "In Texas, you need to come to a complete stop".
Guy says "aww, come on, what is the difference, a California stop is fine".
Trooper pulls the guy out of his car and starts hitting him with his night stick and calmly says "Sir, do you want me to California stop hitting you or Texas stop hitting you"?

Back