• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Classic plates for 1985 RZ350

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Waugh
Okay guys & gals, I am building a 1985 RZ 350 YPVS from parts, it will be a few more months before she is finished and rideable, I was looking at how I can register it in texas and there seems to be 3 ways:-
1) Antique plates
2) classic plates
3) Regular plates

for option 1, it seems I have to find an old set of number plates, get them inspected and then register the bike, something like $50 for 5 years and I can only ride the bike to events and for maintenance.
for option 2, it seems that I get the plates from the registration office, I can ride when and where I want, I have to have an annual safety inspection, so apart from the plate having a different color, it is identical to a regular plate for cost and usage
for option 3, annual inspection and ride when and where I want..

can anyone confirm the above is correct, I am thinking I will go with option 2, as I want to be able to ride the bike when I want and don’t want to risk getting in trouble with the lads in blue, it is unclear to me if I have to find number plates for option 2, or if the registration office provides the plates with the correct color and design?

thanks for any feedback or suggestions. It seems the only advantage of the classic plate over the regular plate is that it’s a different color (so looks cooler/different), all other costs and restrictions are exactly the same as a regular plate.

Gary

There is a big grey area for the antique plate.
Here is one of the best explanations I have read on the use of an antique vehicle (color is hard on the eyes, but the info is good).
Basically, don't use it as your main transportation and you should be fine (should being the operative word).
You can either get a plate from the state that has "Antique Motorcycle" on it, or use a year of manufacture (YOM) state issued plate in at least semi decent condition (so long as the plate number is not being used).
Cost is cheaper, good for 5 years, and no inspection required.
Not sure if this is the current Antique Motorcycle plate, if not, it is similar.
unnamed (1).jpg

Classic plate is either the plate from the state that has "Classic Motorcycle" on it, or as above with the antique, a YOM plate.
No restrictions on this plate. It is just like a regular registration, just using a different plate.
This is what the current Classic plate looks like.
unnamed.jpg

If you want to do an old plate, hit up e-bay, you can find almost any year there. The YOM does not have to be exact, just period correct.
I had a plate with a '93 tag on my old '94 Shadow (still have the plate, may put it on my '94 Goldwing next registration).
A '85 plate should just be white with black letters (my '94 needed to be white with blue letters). I highly doubt anyone at the DMV really knows the difference.
If you go with this style plate, they are supposed to give you a little metal tag to attach to the plate to put the sticker on so you don't cover the "old" tag, plus current stickers are a little larger than the old ones.

Last edited:
I can only attest to Antique plates for automobiles. For them, the DMV can issue an Antique plate or you can use your specific year plate and it is good for 5 years. No inspection but only good for shows, club events, very casual (parade) use. I always kept club business items on hand if needed to justify general driving use. Also, antique insurance usually has limits on yearly mileage. The classic option requires an annual inspection, I think you can use year specific plates and use is unlimited. But not the $50/5yr deal. I used that on several old VW's...it is a sweet deal.

I had antique plates on my Transalp (state issued) and I never had any problems with the cops. It wasn't a daily rider, but I'd take it out a couple times a week. Progressive insured it for $11/year (liability only).

It has been a looong while but I used to buy new...never issued plates at the Conroe Swap meet. I do not know if they had any M/C plates.
Anyone that lived in Texas for many years remembers annual plate switching with one year white letters on black (even) and the next (odd) black letters on white. 1970 was different as it was blue letters on white. Around that time, stickers were issued for plates and windshields and boredom set in.

Thanks guys, still think I will just go for a classic plate.. Easy option, did a quick search for people selling a Texas motorcycle plate from 1980 to 1988 and found almost nothing!!

Gary

Like I said, you can use any plate that was used in the time frame of bike manufacture, and those are 1978 to I believe 1991 or 1992 (that is when they switched to blue letters). You may be able to find some black letter plates with later stickers (up to around '97) if you really are wanting to do it.
So long as it is a Texas motorcycle plate that is a white background with black text and the "TX" is vertical between the stickers, it should work (if in decent condition).
Just needs to look like this:
tag.jpg

You should be able to check on the My Plates website to see if tag is used or not (the one above is not available). The My Plates site is for getting a personalized plate, but it allows you to see if a specific tag is currently registered.
Just keep an eye on e-bay and you should be able to find one for <$20 in decent shape with a tag you can use.

edit: Here is a plate with an '85 sticker that has a usable tag that is $20 shipped.
s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
Like I said, you can use any plate that was used in the time frame of bike manufacture, and those are 1978 to I believe 1991 or 1992 (that is when they switched to blue letters). You may be able to find some black letter plates with later stickers (up to around '97) if you really are wanting to do it.
So long as it is a Texas motorcycle plate that is a white background with black text and the "TX" is vertical between the stickers, it should work (if in decent condition).
Just needs to look like this:
View attachment 285117

You should be able to check on the My Plates website to see if tag is used or not (the one above is not available).
Just keep an eye there and you should be able to find one for <$20 in decent shape with a tag you can use.

edit: Here is a plate with an '85 sticker that has a usable tag that is $20 shipped.
View attachment 285118

Many thanks.

No problem.
Funny thing is, almost nobody will notice it, except those that know...
Plus you will know. It is just one of those little things that makes your bike unique.

Just make sure to print and fill out a form VTR-850 (the classic plate form) when you get it registered,

I have three bikes with Antique plates on them. I have never had any trouble with riding the bikes as I please. I don't ride them a lot but have never had any issues.

I have three bikes with Antique plates on them. I have never had any trouble with riding the bikes as I please. I don't ride them a lot but have never had any issues.
Which is how it should be.
If you only have one vehicle as your main/only transportation, it should not be registered as antique.
If you ride/drive the vehicle on a regular basis (ie to and from work daily), it probably should not be registered as antique.
If it is an "extra" vehicle that is only used occasionally (regardless of what for), then antique is a good choice.
If you have multiple "antique" vehicles, then it is a lot easier to justify using them often on a rotating basis.

It is a problem I wish I had.:rider:
My Goldwing could be registered as antique, but I ride it to work all the time, and don't want to worry about explaining it.
If I got another bike, I may register it as antique since it would not be my regular rider.
Although if I used my plate from '94 on the '94, it would look the same regardless of it it was registered as antique or classic. Hmm... :ponder:

I have 9 motorbikes, all registered and insured and probably do less than 10,000 miles total on all of them each year, so registering this as an antique doesn’t worry me and now I have an antique plate, so when i get it running and registered (probably in the next 8 weeks or so) I will try to register it as an antique. I guess it’s a dumb question, but if I register it as an antique, it doesn’t need that annual inspection, so can I register it now as an antique even though it’s doesn’t work yet? Or do I need to get one inspection passed and then register it as an antique?

Okay, another question for the masses!! I have titled my bike (Not registered it), and have purchased an antique number plate, I want to go and register the bike as an antique vehicle, do I need to have the bike working and pass a state inspection before I can register it? I know that you normally need a current state inspection to register a vehicle, but as antique vehicles don't need a state inspection after being registered, do I need one to get it registered in the first place? Hope that makes sense? I assume the title and proof of insurance is all I need, but prefer to ask before making a trip to the registration office..

Cheers Gary

Back