• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HOUSTON: Clear Lake DS ride log

Man, it's been many moons since I've ridden Pelican Island, but there's a funny story that goes with the "why"; I'll share it sometime. Welcome aboard, Rusty, and welcome to the wonderful world of retirement; now get ready to work your butt off, LOL! I retired last year, and I've been busier now than ever before. Now that the weather is getting better, riding is definitely back on the schedule, so we'll get this thread going again for sure. As you can see, I'm just next door in La Porte, and I've been itching to get out to good ol' East Texas, so we'll put a plan together soon.

Man, it's been many moons since I've ridden Pelican Island, but there's a funny story that goes with the "why"; I'll share it sometime. Welcome aboard, Rusty, and welcome to the wonderful world of retirement; now get ready to work your butt off, LOL! I retired last year, and I've been busier now than ever before. Now that the weather is getting better, riding is definitely back on the schedule, so we'll get this thread going again for sure. As you can see, I'm just next door in La Porte, and I've been itching to get out to good ol' East Texas, so we'll put a plan together soon.
I’m up for a ride anytime! What part of East Texas do you go to?

Pelican is a fun riding place. Been years since I’ve been out there as well. I had a fairly spectacular crash out there on a CR500. The spoils area was like a dry lake bed, with a crust on top and some quicksand like mud just under it. It was the dredge mud from the ship channel dredging. Some areas the crust was thinner than others and if you weren’t careful, you would break through. Be careful riding out there.
There’s a loop of East Texas dirt roads known as the East Texas 200 and and even bigger loop call the East Texas 500. There are GPS files in threads here showing the routes. The 200 can be done in a day, the 500 can be done in 2 per Rydah. The one time I did the 500, we broke it up into 3 days.
I’ve got some health issues I’m dealing with that have impeded my riding as well as the excessive heat. I would to see how I can do on a ride; REALLY missing it.

Last edited:
Yep, what Jay said. The ET200 is a day ride up to Colmesneil, starting and ending from Kountze. Here's a report from when I did it earlier this year:

Back