• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cloudcroft vs. Colorado

Cott
Bill I have been in Cloudcroft all week. There are plenty of easy dirt roads here. I have been bombing around on my WR with Roland on his KLX. Being plated made it easier to get around as we did loops that had great twisty blacktop along with fun scenic dirt roads.

I saw West Side Rd posted above. I rode some of it yesterday. It has been raining a lot here this week in the afternoons. I made it about half way before the gravel went away and turned into bike stopping red clay.

I rode back out and then road up to this view. I wouldn't consider it easy.

Current temp.
COTRAX website shows all kinds of Colorado trails.

lol - small world syndrome today ;)
My wife is planning a trip for us (vehicle) to Cloudcroft.
She went there many many moons ago and wanted to get out of teh Texas heat.
So we'll be there end of August.

Attachments

• IMG_20220729_164848846.jpg
    IMG_20220729_164848846.jpg
    606.2 KB · Views: 104
Cloudcroft is in my (hopefully) near future. If anyone has any recommendations for accommodations I'd appreciate it.

Bill I have been in Cloudcroft all week. There are plenty of easy dirt roads here. I have been bombing around on my WR with Roland on his KLX. Being plated made it easier to get around as we did loops that had great twisty blacktop along with fun scenic dirt roads.

I saw West Side Rd posted above. I rode some of it yesterday. It has been raining a lot here this week in the afternoons. I made it about half way before the gravel went away and turned into bike stopping red clay.

I rode back out and then road up to this view. I wouldn't consider it easy.

Current temp.
Rich, lets talk when you get back. With us not being plated, I'm worried about getting around in Cloudcroft. I've found some really good stuff up near Lake George CO that is all OHV non-plated stuff and I'm thinking about headed that way just for ease of getting around without plates.

Rich, lets talk when you get back. With us not being plated, I'm worried about getting around in Cloudcroft. I've found some really good stuff up near Lake George CO that is all OHV non-plated stuff and I'm thinking about headed that way just for ease of getting around without plates.

I got back last night, but probably won't be much help for you. We stayed in a cabin in town and since the WR is plated, I didn't really pay attention to what it would be like to get around with non plated bike.

I got back last night, but probably won't be much help for you. We stayed in a cabin in town and since the WR is plated, I didn't really pay attention to what it would be like to get around with non plated bike.
No worries Rich, John has been helping me out with places to stay and ride where I can have all the fun I want without plates. Now I just hope the weather cooperates but even if it doesn't, just hanging out when the temps are not 100 degrees sounds darn good to me.

The monsoon season has been strong there this year. The weather was beautiful every morning. At noon almost everyday the thunderstorms rolled in. Roland and I rode early and tried to be back by around noon everyday to not get dumped on with rain.

The monsoon season has been strong there this year. The weather was beautiful every morning. At noon almost everyday the thunderstorms rolled in. Roland and I rode early and tried to be back by around noon everyday to not get dumped on with rain.
Darn good advice, thank you for that. I think we will try to do the very same.

Just curious, what's there to do when during the rainy half of the day?

Take a whole day and go ride Red Sands south of Alamogordo. If the sand is wet it is epic. About 10 years ago we hit that area on a perfect day and it was one of the best riding days I ever had. My group bumped into a local who could ride and he showed us all the good stuff there.

Otherwise, ride hard as you can as early as you can and then relax and hang out the rest of the day. There are worse ways to spend a day.

Otherwise, ride hard as you can as early as you can and then relax and hang out the rest of the day. There are worse ways to spend a day.

Well, that's certainly better than what I'm doing right now. Working.

For me, we have our toy hauler so we would ride all morning, then get back to the trailer, cook up a good lunch, and then if it is going to rain, probably bust out the board games, and enjoy the cool air and rain. We also have dogs to walk if the rain finishes but it is still to wet to ride, or we could take a trip into town or other places with the truck.

At least, that is what I'm imagining in my head. I'll let you know in a few weeks when we are up there. :)

Nuther vote for CC. From Raton, you're still a fer piece from anything suitable in Colorado. The Trinidad area is privately owned and between oil and gas, along with wildernesss areas, it ain't worth it. And...anytime you leave pavement in the colorful state there's a really good chance you'll find things getting way more technical than this kind of trip should be. CC is a great place to ride and camping in the forest is way cool too. Love the smell of those pine trees. :)

What camp grounds do you folks recommend for one pickup with a bed tent and one tag-along camper about 14-16' long?

No worries Rich, John has been helping me out with places to stay and ride where I can have all the fun I want without plates. Now I just hope the weather cooperates but even if it doesn't, just hanging out when the temps are not 100 degrees sounds darn good to me.

Share your trails and travel with a non-plated bike when you get back if you don't mind.

Last edited:
Well, it's official. Heading that way next Thursday and returning Sunday. Will be camping at a yet to be determined campsite.

Thank you everyone for all the input. Got me to move off center and get my butt in gear.

Red River NM is the best of both states , no traffic once your away from town and mountain roads in every direction , not as good as wyoming but lots closer to Texas . Middle Colorado is nothing but a traffic jam but Moffett county was great riding but lacking in good camping .

Back