• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cloudcrofting 5Hundys

Wow... Years ago I was heading to Ouray to meet up with _RG_ and some other TWT folks for a week of riding. As we were descending into Silverton, thick white smoke started coming from the right rear wheel of the truck. We had seven/eight bikes on the trailer? We stopped quickly at the overlook on 550 just South of Silverton and had a peek behind the wheel. It was wet. Apparently the seal went out and the grease was oozing out. We VERY carefully limped the rest of the way to Ouray and made our way to our hotel on the North end of town by a little service station with a full service garage. They were able to order the part for the truck and get it fixed before the end of the week when we needed to head home! :thumb:

When we did the Rim Trail and I was on my 530 EXC, I was running 13/52 gearing. The bike was like a freaking mountain goat and I could lug lug lug it all day long without it missing a beat. It topped out around 55mph comfortably, which is way above most of the speed limits in the Cloudcroft area. We also had our big bikes (1200 GS and KTM 990) for more "relaxed" riding.

For those of you that might never have been to Cloudcroft but have been considering it, GO! It has everything from the gnarly single track, easy gravel/dirt roads, and nice paved stuff. We spent a week out there riding all over the place and still left a lot to do for later trips.

Back