• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cloudcrofting 5Hundys

KsTeveM

Say When
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Pylant
Well, I was feeling a trek coming on. Normally by this time of year I’ve either ventured to Big Bend or Arkansas…..or both. Didn’t happen this year for various reasons, schedules, weather etc. I have a pretty decent trip planned for September…..but that is just too far away to get a good solid fix. So thought I would do a little mini big trip. Cloudcroft “a pasture for the clouds”……more like a playground for the clowns. Been a few years since I’ve been there. Joining me for this little run is clown number 2, Big Rob (@VF1000R) on his 501. Loaded and rolling out. Worked today and made it as far as San Angelo tonight….wanted to get a jump on the trek out there.

1623901327894.jpeg

Had a little trailer tire trouble. I thought it was cool to repurpose some older 35s I had stored in my garage.

1623901371501.jpeg

Looked cool, wasn’t cool. Blew out with no warning that I could feel, about 2 hours in, truck said it was 98F outside. We made quick work of it. Dual sport dudes are prepared, pit crew, 4 way, bottle jack. Got back in the ac and went to next town to find shade and swap the other side, figure the sister was about to let go as well. Found a good spot, after hours bank teller awning.

1623901741976.jpeg

That tire was about to let go as well, glad we applied logic and swapped it out.

1623901771830.jpeg

Luckily I was on my way home from work earlier today and was thinking about how hot it was outside and thinking those tires are older. Decided to bring the normal 14 ply newer tires that came with the trailer, I had room, what the heck! It pays to be anal. Don’t dwell on that phrase.

1623901946669.jpeg

We made it to San Angelo in decent time considering. Will try to keep you guys fed with some ride report morsels on this little trek. Keep your nose to the ground and your ear to the wind.

1623902123143.png

Nice! I've been wanting to make a trip to NM soon with the wr.
What kind of trailer is that? Unique and nice looking rig :)

Thanks, the trailer is just a little home made experiment. I have a build thread under general on it. Pretty happy with it so far for what it is.

Last edited:
Hey ,Spent the First week of June in Cloudcroft and had great time.
Quick Note: Weed Store gas pump was waiting for parts( no gas) Timberon NM. No gas.
Some County Roads have signs keep out ,private etc. However they are usable no problem.
locals just want Minimum Dust. Rim trail T105 Rough tight and technical!
In town restaurants understaffed with reduced Hours.
Have fun👍

“The rest of the Road is the best of the Road”

Hey thanks for the low down Picco. We bugged out of San Angelo pretty early and just landed, 74 degrees and gorgeous. We are grabbing some lunch at Big Daddy’s. About to say Goodbye Cloudcroft proper. Probably won’t be able to post each day, camping in the boonies. Will report when I can. Yall get back to work, ha ha.

1623957863685.jpeg

That's one of my favorite parts of the country to ride. I go there every summer; well, except for LAST summer, of course. :)

We doing ok, service spotty. Started the morning off good, I was feeling it. Then had to call some audibles, some of us didn’t want to keep our tires on the single track. Licking some wounds, swallowing some pride and doing some easier stuff. Will post details and pics when I can. Smell ya later!!

All that counts is that you are on two wheels.

Your having fun now…

I’m ready for the full story.

Ok, here is a little more on the trip. We seemed to beat the weekend crowds and scored a decent spot. Set up some of our camp and then rolled on out for a ride.

1624276288379.jpeg

I had a little loop in mind, Benson Ridge, Bluff Springs Tr, Lucas Canyon, Russia Canyon. Big Rob and I knocked some of it out.

1624276331214.jpeg

I was feeling lucky. Just yesterday I was working in central Texas…..and now we are on the 500s riding around in the cool pines at 8 to 9000 feet. Winning.

1624276375289.jpeg

Well, sort of. Big Rob wasn’t exactly feeling it, had trouble getting his sea legs on the rocky mountain stuff, his first time with that kind of terrain. And I don’t think it helped that his 501 was the street legal version with EXC type gearing, I think 14/45? And he wasn’t feeling his tires, Shinkos. It all added up to several drops.

1624276418847.jpeg

1624276455741.jpeg

We got back to camp a little beat up and finished setting up camp. Killed me not having a fire, restrictions in effect, not even a small charcoal fire allowed. @misterk, you would be eating a bologna steak.

1624276500771.jpeg

But I came prepared for it, coleman camp stove and a gas grill.

1624276544778.png

Managed to still burn some meat. And drank a cool beverage or five. Cool evening tunes, Slack Key Soquel Rag. Take that, night night….will work on the next day when I get a chance.

1624276571772.png

Goodness, and my wife thinks a RTT on top of an SUV is too high up! That thing is up there in the trees!

Goodness, and my wife thinks a RTT on top of an SUV is too high up! That thing is up there in the trees!
It is....but you access it from the ladder in the bed of the trailer. And when going down the road, the tent bed level lowers back down 2' using a cordless drill. Some idiot built it that way.

Last edited:
It is....but you access it from the ladder in the bed of the trailer. And when doing down the road, the tent bed level lowers back down 2' using a cordless drill. Some idiot built it that way.
It's awesome and I'd totally be all over it. But she'd never even consider sleeping way up there. :D

how did the chain come off? I have not seen that in 30 years since I lost the clip on the master link on a Honda Hurricane 1000. oh, and sweet trailer!!

Back