• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

COBDR Colorado Back Country Discovery Route

I have to second this!! Most people driving off-road in CO don't seem to be familiar with the rules.. No hand signals, no attempt to pull over and let faster vehicles pass, and no idea of stopping somewhere that they can easily be seen from a distance!! Stay awake, but its a lot of fun!!

Gary

yes, but you might want to choose a cooler time to ride them. There really is not much that is very difficult on the CO BDR. My wife and I loved riding it, we where on CRF450's but had absolutely no issues, I think you would be fine.

Gary

Thanks... I have been up in July and August and the weather was perfect. I can't imagine late August/Early September would be that hot.

Lot depends on elevation. Things can get pretty warm when you come down from the mountain and the bdr does that occasionally. If you're starting on the southern end then Ophir pass is a good test for how you approach the rest of the ride. If you can handle that then you're good to go. If not then look at go around options for any sections labeled as the hard way.

Lot depends on elevation. Things can get pretty warm when you come down from the mountain and the bdr does that occasionally. If you're starting on the southern end then Ophir pass is a good test for how you approach the rest of the ride. If you can handle that then you're good to go. If not then look at go around options for any sections labeled as the hard way.

Got ya... super familiar with climate as I have rode MTB's through the area.... Not even riding in Fruita (Grand Junction) mid day do I think it's hot compared to Dallas :)

Thanks... I have been up in July and August and the weather was perfect. I can't imagine late August/Early September would be that hot.
We did it in late August and the temps where perfect, I thought you where thinking of going now and it might be a bit warm, but it would still be great, just drink a bit more!!

Gary

What are folk's thoughts on doing the COBDR alone?

Let's just preface this by saying this was my first motorcycle in 15 years, and my dirt bike in 30 years.... That being said, I mtb a lot, even out west and was in generally good shape. That being said, my next trips on the CO BDR will be with a fellow rider. I had no issues on the last two sections of the NM BDR. However, Section 3 of the CO BDR near Razor dome put me and the bike down. Normally, I would not have an issue picking up the bike, but I exited pulling my hamstring and I was at 9300'. So let the problems begin....

Long and short, would have been no issue with another rider, solo very problematic. I wish I would have read the post below, it is spot on. I made it through an incredibly section and crashed on relatively simple scree two track downhill, mainly becau

That is a BIG, "It depends", kind of question.

I would not do it unless I was an above average rider in terms of off road skills.

I would not do it unless I was in pretty good physical shape, and I don't mean, "Round is a shape" kind of shape :-P I mean able to engage in somewhat strenuous activity at heightened mental focus for hours on end, for days on end. Fatigue is cumulative on rides like this and can really become a serious issue after 2-4 days of straight riding, especially when you start getting into the more technical stuff. Fatigue leads to mistakes and injuries. A planned day off every now and then can make a world of difference.

Bigger bikes generally take more physical effort than smaller bikes. Heavily loaded bikes generally take more effort than lightly loaded bikes. Again, this goes toward the cumulative fatigue issue.

If I were do go it alone, I would DEFINITELY get some kind of Spot or PLB device so I could alert someone if I really needed serious help. Cell phone service can be questionable, especially in the mountains.

I believe there are some alternate routes for big bikes that avoid some of the more gnarly technical stuff. If you are riding alone, you REALLY need to be smart about deciding whether to push on through something hard or perhaps being wiser and taking the easier route. Even a short technical section can cause you to expend a tremendous amount of energy, leaving you a bit wiped out if there is more to come. This is especially true if you start falling down and have to pick up the bike!

Personally, I'd go with at least one, if not three other riders. I understand the appeal of a solo ride. However, I also enjoy sharing great experiences like that with good friends (and shared experiences like that can make people good friends of they aren't already). Most of all, having 4 riders usually means no one gets left alone if something does happen and someone has to go for help.

One of the better posts for this trip.... just saw this as I was planning for next years trip :)

Back