• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

COBDR Colorado Back Country Discovery Route

Hi all. This is my first post in many, many moons. I've been lurking a lot recently and I should probably visit the Introduction thread and re-intro myself...

Welcome back!

My fiancée and me did the CO BDR two-up on a my 1290 Super Adventure last July.

I was out in Ouray and surrounding area with other TWT folks at the same time you guys were out there. We just spent six days riding all the passes and fun highways.

That one stretch of Ophir is tough even running solo. Forget two up, and it's a pretty long walk, uphill, in THIN air! :eek2:

Last Dollar and Owl Creek are nice for the big bikes. You could have cut a corner from US 50 to get down to Lake City via CR 25. It is another fun big bike road, but 149 from US 50 to Lake City is pretty sweet anyway.

I am impressed you got over Hagerman without issues. I've seen a bunch of vids of that pass where things didn't go as people planned.

You were really lucky with the weather. Even a little rain can make a BIG difference in the challenge of some of those passes!!

Some folks get sick and it's debilitating. Never seen anyone "tough it out." I've been lucky so far but seeing folks who weren't made me a believer
Can you supply us with a hypoxia anecdote?

Some times wheelspin is critical to maintain the big Mo. Momentum is crucial in loose climbs. A loss of throttle control at a wheel spin will stop you. Then you may be glad you turned off the ABS. Just a guess as I don't have either.
And I am the believer in abs just because it's all I've ever known and has saved my bacon on at least 2 high speed stops down embankments. Now traction control, forget that stuff. Like you say who needs loss of power when climbing slopes. Learned my lesson once and almost lost it due to it.

Interesting that you like ABS on the down hill. In loose stuff, the point of locking up the rear is to cause the loose stuff to start piling up in front of the tire, which can actually help you stop faster even though the tire is sliding. It is not the same principle as with pavement where a sliding tire generates less friction than a rolling tire under max braking load. I know that on my 1200 GS, there have been times in dirt/gravel when I have stomped on the back brake and it just kept rolling instead of slowing me down as it does when the ABS is off. It can be annoying because on one of my typical DS rides, I am going back and forth between dirt and pavement quite frequently. However, the ABS can only be disabled by shutting the bike off, holding down the ABS button, and then restarting the bike. It can only be re-enabled by shutting the bike down and restarting. The ABS is always enabled if you don't hold down the button. Starting and stopping all the time to change back and forth is a pain. It would be nice if it could be done on the fly, or even if stopped but without having to completely shut off the bike and restart each time. So, I tend to leave it on all the time, but I am VERY aware of the lack of stopping power at the rear when riding in loose stuff and ride accordingly.

That one stretch of Ophir is tough even running solo. Forget two up, and it's a pretty long walk, uphill, in THIN air! :eek2:

Last Dollar and Owl Creek are nice for the big bikes. You could have cut a corner from US 50 to get down to Lake City via CR 25. It is another fun big bike road, but 149 from US 50 to Lake City is pretty sweet anyway.

I am impressed you got over Hagerman without issues. I've seen a bunch of vids of that pass where things didn't go as people planned.

You were really lucky with the weather. Even a little rain can make a BIG difference in the challenge of some of those passes!!

Hagerman was a challenge! Dez had to walk about a 1/2 mile or so when it got extra-rocky towards the summit. 1/2 mile is not that far, but uphill at 11,000 feet made it tough! We were able to complete the entire descent two-up. IIRC, I think we did consider CR25 but were running out daylight so we decided to stay on paved 50 and 149 even though it added miles. We've done a lot of bike trips and this was by far our favorite. I would recommend the CO BDR for everyone. Just need to be ready to modify routes on the fly and/or turn around and find an easier alternative based on riding comfort level and weather....

Interesting that you like ABS on the down hill
I see what your saying. Your experience far exceeds mine. I'm drawing from one experience in particular where the stop was one of those stepper than I bargained for creeks on off pavement coming back on the hill country ride. Feeling that if not for abs would have lost straight line control during high-speed descent into the creek 45 to 50.

StromXTc, my son and I did the COBDR last year.
We took Altitude RX Oxyboost, I ordered off Amazon
Started taking them a couple of days early and had no problems.

May want to check this link & review the article on "altitude sickness" it lists some precautions / preventive measures towards the end.

When I go up to my place in Bayfield, I try to spend a few days at 6,000 to 7,000 feet to get acclimated before I head up to higher elevations to any strenuous activity - didn't do that last summer, took a UTV up to a 11,000' trailhead the moring after I arrived (after driving straight up from Dallas area) & then hikeed about a mile to down a valley to a back country lake that was @ 10,500' hiking back up to the UTV just about got me - couldn't get my breath and few of the other symptoms - took a couple of days afer getting back to 7,000 feet to get back to normal.

Any first hand stories of people having bad time with hypoxia?

My cousin couldn't get out of bed one time due to it. "Ok, see ya later" was our concerned reply. Ripped it for 4 hours on snowmobiles at Fraser winter park.

Hi all. This is my first post in many, many moons. I've been lurking a lot recently and I should probably visit the Introduction thread and re-intro myself...

My fiancée and me did the CO BDR two-up on a my 1290 Super Adventure last July. We took it easy and slow and didn't have any problems. We did, however, skip the Alpine Loop which is probably the most challenging part. The rocks on Ophir Pass were so loose I didn't want to risk it, especially with a pillion on board, so we turned around. We found that Last Dollar Road out of Telluride (close to the airport) is an easy dirt/gravel road alternative if you don't want to do the Alpine Loop. I've been on two wheels for over 30 years, but just started riding on the dirt a couple of years ago so I was somewhat skittish but gained confidence the longer the ride went on. Luckily, the weather was dry our entire trip so we did not have to deal with any mud or deep water crossings. We had an absolute blast and are planning on doing the UT BDR next---probably in 2020. Upcoming wedding and two-week Alaska honeymoon will burn all our vacation (and funds) this year. Lots of good tips already posted in this thread. I definitely turned my ABS and TC off whenever we left the pavement. On the 1290 you have to be stopped and it takes about 20-25 seconds to disable it from the thumbswitch. The ABS and TC modes default back to the "ON" setting every time the engine is turned off. I'll be buying and installing an ABS dongle prior to our next extended off-road trip to eliminate this nuisance. The other thing I would highly recommend is to follow the "Stay Right" concept like your life depended on it. Several times this saved me (us) from becoming a Jeep hood ornament!

I posted our Ride Report on Advrider. Here's the link if anyone is interested:

EDIT: Correction---I didn't actually turn the ABS completely off. I switched it to "OFFROAD" mode which disables the ABS on the rear wheel but ABS still functions on the front wheel.

Good stuff. Consistent with what I'm finding. Thanks for the post.

Just started reading your ride report, looks like i'll be doing much of the same first few stops. Planning on chaco canyon, Aztec ruins, then Mesa verde before getting off road.

May want to check this link & review the article on "altitude sickness" it lists some precautions / preventive measures towards the end.
Yep those not in the know should be cautious. I lived at 9000 ft in Wyoming and never had a problem. Went to pike's peak last year and got noticeably light headed at first, but acclimated quickly. I'll definitely be monitoring my vitals more now that I'm noticing the signs more, but should be safe as long as I keep it mostly below the tree line.

If you feel your cheeks or the end of you nose getting a little tingly, that is an early warning sign beyond just feeling short of breath. If you are seeing swirling spots dancing in front of your eyes... time to REALLY pay attention. That happened to me once, in the parking lot on top of Mt Evans. I was fine after just standing still and taking in the scenery for 5-6 minutes. Once back below 13-12K feet, I was good again. I rarely have issues going over any of the passes around Ouray, Telluride, Silverton, etc,... We usually drive up and arrive around dinner time. Then we spend a full night and are well rested before riding the next day. Unless I have to do a lot of uphill walking, I am usually good. Staying well hydrated seems to do the trick for me, especially with regard to getting headaches. Going easy on alcohol also makes a difference.

If you feel your cheeks or the end of you nose getting a little tingly, that is an early warning sign beyond just feeling short of breath. If you are seeing swirling spots dancing in front of your eyes... time to REALLY pay attention. That happened to me once, in the parking lot on top of Mt Evans. I was fine after just standing still and taking in the scenery for 5-6 minutes. Once back below 13-12K feet, I was good again. I rarely have issues going over any of the passes around Ouray, Telluride, Silverton, etc,... We usually drive up and arrive around dinner time. Then we spend a full night and are well rested before riding the next day. Unless I have to do a lot of uphill walking, I am usually good. Staying well hydrated seems to do the trick for me, especially with regard to getting headaches. Going easy on alcohol also makes a difference.
Wow...
Mount Evans is the highest summit of the Chicago Peaks in the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains of North America. Elevation: 14,265′ Wikipedia

Think I have been only to about 11-12k on one of those ski trips but only for short times.. at 14k, that's the real deal, body saying NAW MANN

We had an absolute blast and are planning on doing the UT BDR next---probably in 2020.
This one you'll want to look at in some detail beforehand. There are lots of parts where you'll have a great ride on just about any motorcycle with off-road manners. HOWEVER... there are several pretty good stretches through the desert where going around might be a really good idea. There's a days worth north of Moab that goes along the rims of high mesas. It's fun riding and has great views but if you break down you'll either hire a helicopter to retrieve your equipment or pack it out in pieces. Not overly technical but remarkably inaccessible on anything with more than two wheels or four feet. Then there's a day's worth through the desert just south of reaching the Wasatch range where you fight the deepest sand I've seen. The front tire is good for little more than balancing through this. It's a challenge on a loaded adventure bike and goes on from morning till evening. Quite physically demanding. It took my partner fifteen minutes to stand his bike back up in the sand. And, it's freaking HOT until you get back into some elevation. The stuff around Moab through the LaSalles and Red Rock area along the river is spectacular. The mountainous areas in the northwestern region are beautiful. It's a great adventure but it is nothing like the COBDR. We saw some motorcycle tracks where riders had been through but never saw one other bike from start to finish. You're on your own out there.

This one you'll want to look at in some detail beforehand. There are lots of parts where you'll have a great ride on just about any motorcycle with off-road manners. HOWEVER... there are several pretty good stretches through the desert where going around might be a really good idea. There's a days worth north of Moab that goes along the rims of high mesas. It's fun riding and has great views but if you break down you'll either hire a helicopter to retrieve your equipment or pack it out in pieces. Not overly technical but remarkably inaccessible on anything with more than two wheels or four feet. Then there's a day's worth through the desert just south of reaching the Wasatch range where you fight the deepest sand I've seen. The front tire is good for little more than balancing through this. It's a challenge on a loaded adventure bike and goes on from morning till evening. Quite physically demanding. It took my partner fifteen minutes to stand his bike back up in the sand. And, it's freaking HOT until you get back into some elevation. The stuff around Moab through the LaSalles and Red Rock area along the river is spectacular. The mountainous areas in the northwestern region are beautiful. It's a great adventure but it is nothing like the COBDR. We saw some motorcycle tracks where riders had been through but never saw one other bike from start to finish. You're on your own out there.

Thanks for the info! Yes, we plan on full research prior to launch and are going in with the same approach as we did in CO. I will have several alternative routes loaded on the GPS in case the BDR gets too technical. I'm definitely not a fan of the sand...

Central Utah has some great big bike friendly dirt riding. I took my daughter out there when she was 11 and we did a lot of dirt on my 1200 GS, loaded down with luggage.

The second half of the trip we came back down the West side of Colorado through Rangely, Rifle, Paonia, Gunnison, Lake City, South Fork, and Pagosa Springs.

Scott, What year was this? I'm always amazed how your littlemonkeys have gone all over with you 2 up.

Scott, What year was this? I'm always amazed how your littlemonkeys have gone all over with you 2 up.

That was Sept 2016. Sarah was almost 12 at the time (Dec birthday), she's now 14. She's been riding with me since she was around 8. Same for Daniel (now 12). Rachel started at 9 (now 10) because, despite her oft repeated attempts to make her legs stretch to reach the passenger pegs, she took a bit longer to grow. Rachel has only done a few local rides with me. Sarah is the only one to have done a big long trip with me. Daniel has done some riding up in Arkansas with me and a wee bit in New Mexico on a family trip where I was allowed to bring the bike :-P

Sarah is already convinced she will have a bike of her own when she turns 16 and gets a license... :roll:

Whoa there Sparky!

I informed her that she will have to do a LOT more practice on a dirt bike and then we'd talk about it. Even then, she would only be riding with me for a good while before I would just turn her loose and let her go off on her own!

One of the things they teach you at the BMW Off Road school is turning off the ABS and TC, and then how to brake, extremely enlightening. Now... How is the Lake CIty to Buena VIsta section on a big bike (Tiger 800)? I have done most of the Alpine in a jeep and know some of those switchbacks on a bike would be tough.

Sarah is already convinced she will have a bike of her own when she turns 16 and gets a license... :roll:

Whoa there Sparky!

I informed her that she will have to do a LOT more practice on a dirt bike and then we'd talk about it. Even then, she would only be riding with me for a good while before I would just turn her loose and let her go off on her own!
Not at least till age 34

So.... Being I am familiar with Alpine Loop and am good with skipping it.. Would the rest of the sections of the CO BDR be OK solo with good acclimation, decent physical shape, and decent skills?

yes, but you might want to choose a cooler time to ride them. There really is not much that is very difficult on the CO BDR. My wife and I loved riding it, we where on CRF450's but had absolutely no issues, I think you would be fine.

Gary

Back