• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Coconut Cream Pie

Reaction score
Where is the best in TX? Not interested in good, real good or even very good. The best,,,period.

Well I would say Jay Jay cafe but you are gonna have to drive to DFW for it. That said, I am not a big pie eater so don't listen to me.

I thought the best I’ve had was at the Jay Cafe in Needville until I had a slice at the Seabrook Classic Cafe on NASA Rd 1. The Classic’s slice had much more flavor than any others I’ve tried and it was loaded with coconut.

Had to go to Houston for some prep fro a back surgery today. Weather was so pretty we decided to come back thru Galveston. Galveston means a stop at the Sunflower Cafe. We both got a chicken salad sandwich. Fair but the big faol was the plate came with the sandwich ONLY. No pickle, chips, fruit,,,nothing. Looked a little dismal hust laying there all lonely. Then we brought home a Meringue topped coconut cream pie. Just had a piece, another fail. Gelatinous mess with a chemical taste. Zero resemblance to the quality we have come to expect from their bakery. Amyone know if the mgt/ownership has changed? Same family had/has been there forever but this stop was a true disappointment. Guess we will stick with the breakfast. The Bluebonnet, a spot in Kerrville and Lubys still rule the roost for us with pie.

Had to go to Houston for some prep fro a back surgery today. Weather was so pretty we decided to come back thru Galveston. Galveston means a stop at the Sunflower Cafe. We both got a chicken salad sandwich. Fair but the big faol was the plate came with the sandwich ONLY. No pickle, chips, fruit,,,nothing. Looked a little dismal hust laying there all lonely. Then we brought home a Meringue topped coconut cream pie. Just had a piece, another fail. Gelatinous mess with a chemical taste. Zero resemblance to the quality we have come to expect from their bakery. Amyone know if the mgt/ownership has changed? Same family had/has been there forever but this stop was a true disappointment. Guess we will stick with the breakfast. The Bluebonnet, a spot in Kerrville and Lubys still rule the roost for us with pie.
That sucks! Good luck with your surgery!

Tony’s in Sealy is hard to beat for pie - just not much selection

Hope procedure goes well

We were just there last week for lunch. From what I could tell all four of us were quite happy with what we got. I do recall some of their entrees come a-la carte so yeah, a sammich would look lonely by itself on a plate.
I dunno who the owners were and are currently but the place was just as busy as ever and full of locals so far as I could discern.
Maybe the primary baker was out the day y’all were there?

My mom's. I have the recipe but not the talent to re-create it, although I did a decent job with her lemon meringue once.
And in full disclosure, she was over my shoulder every step of the way. I tried again after she was gone, but the magic went with her.
Still have her little double boiler and can make killer lemon filling in it, and a mighty fine meringue. I totally suck at pie crust.

We used to do the Tuesday breakfast there every now and then and it was always good. But, that was a few years ago. If your going back home from Houston through Galveston and wants some really good coconut cream pie, take a detour over to the Seabrook Classic Cafe. It's off of NASA Rd 1 nearly to Seabrook.Good food and REALLY good coconut cream pie.

Last edited:
Hey 33, don't go on a Tuesday, it is there day off now. And yes, they were packed as usual, had to park on a side street. Had my second piece of pie today, sad! We will still go back though, probably stick with the awesome breakfast choices.

Back