• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Colorado heads up

The “roads” are awesome, and are what we all go to these places to ride. Gnarly, back country passes through beautiful landscapes are plentiful. All it takes is a few jack nuts from Texas or elsewhere to make everybody in/on off road oriented machines look bad. If these two dudes had gone off road on someone’s property in Texas they could very well be dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll get booed by some, I'm sure, but I say hats off to the sheriff's department. I love to ride, including off road at some points in my life. I'm also an old-fashioned conservationist at heart, as well as having enjoyed many trails in the San Juans and other parts of Colorado over the decades. It dismays me to see trails - even posted wilderness area trails - that have been turned into 5' tracks of loose dirt by motorized vehicles.

Once on a trail north of Crested Butte, I had to get off the path - in a restricted, posted, fenced wilderness area - because of A Geo Tracker who had found his way in and was driving up the trail. Another time, I hiked up to the ghost town of Holy Cross City in the Gunnison NF, and found that the beautiful but fragile meadow had been torn up by people doing donuts. The track up is a sanctioned Jeep road, but the meadow was obviously off-limits; it was posted off limits even for walking! I assume the Jeep club that takes responsibility for maintaining the track didn't do it.

As Derek points out, there are plenty of legal, posted roads and trails crisscrossing the San Juans. No need to ruin the fragile foot trails or treat wilderness hikers to the sound of 4-cycle engines.

I'll get booed by some, I'm sure, but I say hats off to the sheriff's department. I love to ride, including off road at some points in my life. I'm also an old-fashioned conservationist at heart, as well as having enjoyed many trails in the San Juans and other parts of Colorado over the decades. It dismays me to see trails - even posted wilderness area trails - that have been turned into 5' tracks of loose dirt by motorized vehicles.

Once on a trail north of Crested Butte, I had to get off the path - in a restricted, posted, fenced wilderness area - because of A Geo Tracker who had found his way in and was driving up the trail. Another time, I hiked up to the ghost town of Holy Cross City in the Gunnison NF, and found that the beautiful but fragile meadow had been torn up by people doing donuts. The track up is a sanctioned Jeep road, but the meadow was obviously off-limits; it was posted off limits even for walking! I assume the Jeep club that takes responsibility for maintaining the track didn't do it.

As Derek points out, there are plenty of legal, posted roads and trails crisscrossing the San Juans. No need to ruin the fragile foot trails or treat wilderness hikers to the sound of 4-cycle engines.
Can't see anyone arguing with that, that's what got the guys in trouble.

Back