• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Colorado passes by 3 couples

Reaction score
First Name
Dennie
Last Name
Spears
We decided to go back to Ouray since there were a couple of passes that we missed in the last 2 trips there. There was already another couple going and we really wanted 3 or 4 couples so we placed and ad on TWT for other couples that wanted to travel with us and Chris and Susan answered our ad. I was a little unsure about them since they had been to Alaska recently and had traveled other places extensively. I was afraid they would find our Colorado Rockies to be nothing but foothills. My fears were unfounded since they fit in nicely with our group.

Chris and Susan rode their Goldwing to Ouray while the rest of us rode together and trailered all 3 bikes. I felt they were extremely trusting since they left their bike at a location discussed over the telephone and we picked it up without ever meeting them. All went well and we met them at the grocery store in Durango. The women bought food for the week and we were off.

Now for the pictures.

We used to carry 2 weeks worth of supplies on the bike. This is what happened when we started taking a trailer.
IMG_1104.jpg

We stopped at the bank for funds.
IMG_1113.jpg

This unidentifiable guy got us a "loan"
IMG_1111.jpg

We're cheap so we stopped in Wichita Falls for a picnic lunch.
IMG_1114.jpg

Lunch
IMG_1115.jpg

Can you tell where the sprinkler stops?
IMG_1116.jpg

Some pictures along 550 north of Albuquerque, taken from the window of a moving truck.

IMG_1119.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

We had never ridden together so I wanted our first ride to be gentle and chose Lime Creek road.

Chris and Susan on their KLR650
IMG_1131.jpg

Me and my Honey (We ride a DRZ400SM) sitting on a rock way above the creek.
IMG_1138.jpg

Lori and Jeff on a DRZ400S
IMG_1142.jpg

Stop along the way.
IMG_1140.jpg

Sitting on a rock wall. For some reason the state has built a wall along this relatively easy road while the much harder Imogene pass has none. I hope Imogene never has retaining barriers.
IMG_1142.jpg

Three beautiful women in a field of daisies.
IMG_1150.jpg

The only man that was manly enough to have his picture taken in a field of flowers.
IMG_1152.jpg

One shouldn't ride through Molas Pass without a group shot.
IMG_1159.jpg

Back to camp after a nice "get to know you" ride.
IMG_1161.jpg

It was a little wet the first 2 days and rained on us a little every day except for 2. This double rainbow greeted us on Monday morning. My camera wouldn't capture all of it in 1 picture.
IMG_1162.jpg

The other side
IMG_1164.jpg

We decided to tackle Skyline Drive?, Hurricane Pass, and California Pass for our Monday ride.
IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

Flowers were everywhere
IMG_1192.jpg

The state flower of Colorado, the Colorado Columbine
IMG_1215.jpg

We had a little mishap but nobody got pictures so it didn't happen 2 time each for 2 of the couples. I'm not naming names but, I didn't fall all week.:giveup:
IMG_1228.jpg

The KLR is a heavy bike and I might have misled Chris about how hard the trails are while riding double. He now has an injured leg which will bother him all week.
IMG_1231.jpg

Lori made a snow angel while the men wrestled with bikes.
IMG_1230.jpg

It was walk up the hill time for Lori and Susan. Susan was injured earlier by a mishap on the Goldwing and walking was not going to be easy for her. She's a trooper.
IMG_1233.jpg

The bikes at California Pass.
IMG_1246.jpg

Some of the scenery.
IMG_1248.jpg

Linda with Lake Como below. The lake is still partially frozen over. This picture was taken on July 18th. Lots more snow than the past few years.
IMG_1250.jpg

One of the old mills used to process the ore.
IMG_1264.jpg

They used fancy joints
IMG_1269.jpg

Look at the size of those nails. Foot intentionally inserted for scale.
IMG_1266.jpg

More scenery.
IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

More Columbines
IMG_1284.jpg

I don't know why these are out of order but, they were taken on Tuesday. Anyway, here they are now or I will forget them.

The falls below Clear Lake. Lori
IMG_1304.jpg

Me and Linda.
IMG_1312.jpg

This guy is from Austin and kept giving me the "Hook 'em Horns" sign. I tried to knock him off that big rock by throwing a slightly smaller rock but, he was too quick and kept ducking just at the last moment.
IMG_1315.jpg

It started to rain just as we got into town so we decided to go to the Silverton Museum. It costs $5 and is money well spent. Chris and Susan decided to go back to camp to rest their injuries after we toured the museum. The rest of us went on a short ride up Maggie Gulch but it was wet and slick and after a couple of slides close to the edge, the women got left behind at their request.

An old adding machine.
IMG_1317.jpg

A bed from the women's side of the jail. Note the rope springs. In the olden days, several people would sleep in the same bed and if the ropes were loose, everyone would end up sleeping very close in the middle of the bed, hence the saying, "sleep tight."
IMG_1330.jpg

I felt right at home.
IMG_1320.jpg

The men's side was somewhat less accomodating than the women's.
IMG_1323.jpg

Old wooden snowshoes.
IMG_1319.jpg

The original coppier???
IMG_1318.jpg

Linda and her friend "Woody".
IMG_1272.jpg

These pictures are really mixed up and so am I. I'm going to post them as they are. I may be off on the location of some of them but, If you go where we went then you will see all of these sights.

Linda and Lori below Clear lake.
IMG_1311.jpg

A creek coming out of an abandoned mine. One of the reasons some or the water in Colorado is unfit for humans or animals. If fish and plants don't live in it then you shouldn't drink it.
IMG_1289.jpg

I believe this is going up to Clear Lake.
IMG_1290.jpg

It's rougher than it looks and the next 2 switchbacks are at least 25% harder than the ones that were responsible for falls on Monday. We decide we have gone high enough for today.
IMG_1293.jpg

By now you have probably realize that I have mixed in Tuesday's ride with Monday's ride. Oh well, at my age all the days will be mixed up in a couple of years.

Tuesday nights dinner. Monday's was chili but no pictures so I guess we went to bed hungry.
IMG_1273.jpg

Some more pictures from around California and Hurricane.
IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

My trusting wife.
IMG_1262.jpg

Her handsome husband!!:trust:
IMG_1254.jpg

Another of Lake Como and Linda
IMG_1252.jpg

Lake Como partiall iced over.
IMG_1222.jpg

Chris riding up to california. Poor crippled Susan is walking behind.
IMG_1240.jpg

Jeff riding up california. I don't remember Lori walking but I'm pretty sure she's not on the bike.
IMG_1245.jpg

My trusty steed with Lori and Susan in the background. It's time for a rest.
IMG_1236.jpg

Somewhere downhill.
IMG_1224.jpg

Last edited:
A snow bank. My bike was born and raised in Texas and was scared of the deep snow. We let others lead the way.
IMG_1221.jpg

Lori and Jeff
IMG_1220.jpg

Chris and Susan
IMG_1219.jpg

The KLR in a managable switchback.
IMG_1218.jpg

I think we ate lunch here. Who could ask for a better table!!!!!!:eat::rider:
IMG_1206.jpg

Same spot, different angle.
IMG_1204.jpg

Loading up.
IMG_1200.jpg

Beauty abounds. Not you, Chris. The woman and the mountain.
IMG_1201.jpg

Looking back the other way.
IMG_1198.jpg

More flowers.
IMG_1189.jpg

A deer.
IMG_1186.jpg

I think I may have already posted this one of Susan and Chris. Oh well, if I have, it's still pretty.
IMG_1172.jpg

From our campsite.
IMG_1168.jpg

Another from our campsite. Did I mention that our campsite was much prettier than anything in town and was also FREE.
IMG_1167.jpg

Picture from the museum??????? An early 1900s graduation picture for Silverton High school. Linda says that this is an 8th grade graduation picture.
IMG_1325.jpg

More to come when I get time. I have a race this weekend.

Any other participants are welcome to chime in with their comments and pictures. Chris, Susan, Jeff, Lori. Any comments or pictures. You all know that I'm going to start telling lies if I feel like I'm not being watched.:-P

Last edited:
Jeffro93, do you know Chris and susan? They live in North Richlands Hills.

Great trip to one of our favorite places on the planet! Thanks for sharing :sun:

I am pretty sure my current avatar picture was taken on the center right side of this image and looking back down the valley to the peaks on the left of the image. We had just come down the upper road at that intersection. Here's my shot:

Col2010-0048.jpg

and here is what the lake looked like when we were there at the end of August last year.

Col2010-0063-pano.jpg

There wasn't much snow compared to years before when I had been in the area. I don't recall the exact route, but we came from US 550 via Corkscrew Gulch and eventually ended up at California Pass. I think we hit Cinnamon next, then lunch in Lake City, and then back over Engineers Pass to US 550 and back to Ouray. It was quite a day of riding and there is NO WAY I would want to do it two up!! You guys are nuts riding two up :lol2:

Some more pics from the Silverton museum
IMG_1375.jpg

Lots of pistols. No pics. Some rifles, some pics.
IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

Old cash register.
IMG_1372.jpg

Metal lathe with flat wooden pulleys.
IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

Pulley system.
IMG_1367.jpg

I like this chain saw.
IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

I'm glad I don't operate this end.
IMG_1365.jpg

Nice camera
IMG_1363.jpg

Early vacuum cleaner?
IMG_1359.jpg

I remember my aunt having one of these years before we got our first phone.
IMG_1357.jpg

rocking horse
IMG_1354.jpg

wheel chair. I think there may have been many of these in use in the mining communities.
IMG_1353.jpg

Metal cast and other medical instruments
IMG_1351.jpg

wooden snow skis
IMG_1350.jpg

Movie projector
IMG_1348.jpg

What would be a room heater today. Then it heated the whole house.
IMG_1346.jpg

the first disk brakes
IMG_1343.jpg

Nicely preserved grinder:trust::trust:
IMG_1341.jpg

Not so nicely preserved grinder.
IMG_1362.jpg

Hammer wrenches. Similar ones are still used today.
IMG_1340.jpg

Potty car for the mines. Believe it or not, taking care of this was a highly prized job in a gold mine. It seems that mine workers would swallow pieces of the highest grade ores thinking they would "mine" their fecal matter. Some couldn't wait until getting off shift and the "lucky" pot car pusher could make more from the potty car than he did in wages.
IMG_1338.jpg

Marmots in love.
IMG_1390.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

Along Imogene Pass
IMG_1378.jpg

Lori and Linda resting their behinds. It's rough sitting back there on a DRZ.
IMG_1377.jpg

More mountains coming. No more museum pictures, I promise.

Hmm... that wheelchair reminds me of the one Hubzilla used to have. Except it looks a little more comfortable and lightweight :lol2:

Nothing wrong with museum photos! Your camera does really well :-)

As I said earlier, Jeff and I rode up Maggie Gulch after ditching the wives by doing fake slides close to the edge of the cliff. Actually, they weren't fake. It had been raining and the road was muddy. My tires are 10% off road and 90% on road and Jeff's aren't much better. I had been up Maggie last year but Jeff had not. If you think you have seen some of these pictures before, just move on. I'll eventually get to some more that I haven't posted as facimiles.

Some kind of pulley/gear above a rock crusher.
IMG_1396.jpg

the back side of the crusher
IMG_1398.jpg

Side of the crusher.
IMG_1399.jpg

Drive pulleys
IMG_1400.jpg

Boiler for the steam engine-judging by the size of the boiler, the engine must have been small.
IMG_1401.jpg

Close up of one of the drive pulleys
IMG_1402.jpg

Front view of the crusher
IMG_1404.jpg

Left half
IMG_1403.jpg

Hammers
IMG_1405.jpg

The cam mechanism that raises and drops the hammers, taken from the back side
IMG_1406.jpg

One of the rock hoppers on the back side of the hammers. The cam system is still visible.
IMG_1408.jpg

All together with Jeff thrown in as a bonus
IMG_1414.jpg

Judging by the size of the stream running by the mine, they may not have had much water later in the summer so the size of the steam generator may not have been the limiting factor in how much ore they could process.
IMG_1411.jpg

Not sure what this large hunk of steel was used for but, I'm glad I'm not the mule that had to carry it to the mine.
IMG_1416.jpg

Lots of flowers along Maggie, but the women await our return so not many pictures.
IMG_1415.jpg

Headed back down.
IMG_1418.jpg

More when I get time!

Mr. Humanrace - I don't know Chris and Susan, or i dont think i do. Curious why you asked...

Again, fantastic pictures. I really would love it if my wife would go on a trip like that.

"There wasn't much snow compared to years before when I had been in the area. I don't recall the exact route, but we came from US 550 via Corkscrew Gulch and eventually ended up at California Pass. I think we hit Cinnamon next, then lunch in Lake City, and then back over Engineers Pass to US 550 and back to Ouray. It was quite a day of riding and there is NO WAY I would want to do it two up!! You guys are nuts riding two up "

Scott, Linda and I did that exact route in '95 riding on my DR650. The last part from Animas Fork on was done in the dark. The road was smooth but lots of deer. If I remember right, the next day was spent "shopping" while butts became less numb.

Hey guys - we were in Silverton from the 18th thru the 25th riding our quads and I'm certain we saw ya'll at the gas station there one late afternoon.

I said to my wife, wow that guy has a super moto DR and I specifically remember the fuzzy taco sign on the klr. We would've come and intro'd ourselves but were eager to get some food in us after a long day. I did end up meeting a LOT of dualsport riders from all over the country. Really cool.

We had a great time ourselves; I took my own klr but only rode a couple of days - Eureka and Maggie Gulches and some of Kendall mtn - all pretty rough for the klr, but truly lots of fun.

Hope you guys had the same. TEXANS EVERYWHERE!:clap:

Attachments

• 100_4801.jpg
    100_4801.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 281
No doubt it was us. Wish you had come over and introduced yourselves. I did to everyone that i saw that had a Texas tag. We hav enjoyed going there for 31 years. It sure is getting crowded. Next year, we're going to thin it out a little by going elsewhere, but will be back.

Mr. Humanrace - I don't know Chris and Susan, or i dont think i do. Curious why you asked...

Again, fantastic pictures. I really would love it if my wife would go on a trip like that.

I asked because you live so close, both have the same interest, etc. Keller/North Richland Hills

Last edited:
I don't remember the day, but we rode back up to Clear Lake on one of the days that Chris and Susan rested their injured legs. Linda and Lori were willing to walk a little.

Jeff and Lori at Clear lake.
IMG_1429.jpg

Me and my babe
IMG_1430.jpg

Lunch for the day.
IMG_1434.jpg

Our "table"
IMG_1436.jpg

Dainty flowers
IMG_1441.jpg

More flowers around Clear Lake
IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

Waterfall along South mineral creek road
IMG_1461.jpg

Small rock overhanging the road going to Imogene Pass
IMG_1478.jpg

A couple of Jeeps added for scale
IMG_1480.jpg

I'm getting a little bushy around the chin area
IMG_1484.jpg

This Jeep full of old people got stuck and wouldn't start.
IMG_1488.jpg

Good samaritans came along in a Jeep truck
IMG_1489.jpg

Happy he's finally moving. Pay attention dude.
IMG_1490.jpg

Our lunch spot. The road up is along the cliff to the left.
IMG_1491.jpg

Jeff's lunch.
IMG_1500.jpg

View looking out the window of our dining room.
IMG_1502.jpg

Nice waterfall
IMG_1512.jpg

Linda's leg being used as toilet paper by a friendly unknown dog.
IMG_1521.jpg

Them
IMG_1523.jpg

Us
IMG_1528.jpg

Jeff and Lori up the road and Linda getting ready.
IMG_1531.jpg

My nieces. I thought I would see if you are paying attention.:-P
IMG_1090.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

Getting closer to Imogene.
IMG_1533.jpg

Still a little washed out road to contend with.
IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1538.jpg

Looking the opposite direction from the snow banked road. Lori and Linda conquered their fears and stood on the edge of death.
IMG_1546.jpg

View west from the summit. Note the ski tracks.
IMG_1553.jpg

Another.
IMG_1555.jpg

She put her hood down for this picture. It's windy and cold.
IMG_1559.jpg

I didn't have a hood.
IMG_1561.jpg

They left their riding gear on.
IMG_1564.jpg

Little bit of snow left. This was taken on July 21, I believe.
IMG_1569.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

Bridal Veil falls in the background.
IMG_1579.jpg

Our dinner. Explanation of why it was in a restaurant will follow.
IMG_1582.jpg

We ate in a restaurant because the road to our camp was closed due to a wreck. It was a head on collision with a Jeep and a pick-up. Helicopter was used for extraction. One vehicle was cut open to remove the passengers. 4 people injured. If you do the million dollar highway, pay attention at all times. That is not a place to make a mistake. Stop before looking at scenery or to take pictures. Chris and Susan were stuck at camp and had left over chili with beans. I'm sure it tasted better than our stacked enchiladas.

On a lighter note, Bishops castle is coming. Be sure you come back later to see the pictures. Mr Bishop started the castle in the late '60s and has been working on it ever since, nearly always alone. It is very impressive. I recommend a ride to Colorado just to see the Castle. If you like our government or if you don't believe in the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob in the old testament or in the God of Jesus in the new testament, then I suggest you remain silent with your political and religious views while talking to Mr. Bishop. He is a very nice and likeable man but he has very strong views on politics and religion. In his view, we have nazi republicans and communist democrats and most of the sheeple (spelled his way) of the US belong to one of these 2 parties. In any case, a visit to his castle will be an eye opener.

Last edited:
I believe this is going up to Ophir pass headed west.
IMG_1584.jpg

Another. As a matter of fact, Ophir pass was our last ride so all of the pictures from here on are of Ophir unless noted or obvious.
IMG_1589.jpg

The summit.
IMG_1592.jpg

We met a girl riding this Honda and suggested that she ride Imogene also but she declined, saying that she was afraid of heights. I don't know how she got down from Ophir.
IMG_1593.jpg

Me and Lori on the snow field at the summit.
IMG_1597.jpg

The shelf road down. Loose, wet, slick, steep.
IMG_1600.jpg

Looking further down.
IMG_1601.jpg

Dense aspen stands lined the road at lower elevations.
IMG_1604.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

Ophir city limits?
IMG_1608.jpg

Ophir post office. This is the smallest full service, 8 hour a day post office in the US, according to the postal clerk.
IMG_1609.jpg

What happens when a really large rock breaks off that mountain behind the house. the saying is "geology happens NOW"
IMG_1610.jpg

We mailed letters.
IMG_1614.jpg

Looking toward the pass and over the town. We turned around and went back over Ophir. It was the closest way and we wanted to get back to camp in time to load up early for our departure in the morning.
IMG_1615.jpg

We'll stop at the castle tomorrow afternoon. Don't miss it.

I asked because you live so close, both have the same interest, etc. Keller/North Richland Hills

Gotcha. I'm sure I'd loving knowing them. Speaking of where I/you live, I spent a few more years in Bryan than my dad bargained for. Gig'em!

Back