• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Colorado passes by 3 couples

A few more from Ophir pass then the trip home.

Our lunch table beside a beautiful stream.
IMG_1617.jpg

Our beautiful stream is joined by a not so beautiful stream
IMG_1627.jpg

Dandilions were imported by 1800's miners as a source of wild growing edible greens. They took off and have crowded some more desireable species. They do add a special flavor to a salad.
IMG_1621.jpg

The city of Gunnison has a yearly carving contest. Dead trees are "planted" in the city park and carver get to pick their tree. When the park gets too crowded, the carvings are moved to other areas of town. Here are some of the park carvings, also our lunch spot.
IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1637.jpg

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

Totem pole type
IMG_1642.jpg

This carver must have been from the Solomon islands.
IMG_1643.jpg

IMG_1644.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

One side.
IMG_1646.jpg

Other side.
IMG_1648.jpg

Flags and bald eagle are always popular.
IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

Mr Bishop and his dad started the castle in 1969. His dad died in 1971 and Mr Bishop has been working on the castle ever since. It is not finished. Almost nothing about the castle is finished. I saw it about 25 years ago and lots of work has been done but some things that could be finished in a relatively short time are still left undone. There is no admission charge although there is a donation bucket. Nearly all the work has been done by 1 man. He started with an old pickup with a winch in the bed. He now has the original and 2 other old pickups with winches in the bed and a winch to operate the elevator to the 2nd floor. He cuts his own lumber and hauls his own rocks. He does very intricate wrought iron work.
Bishop's castle from the road.
IMG_1655.jpg

Mr. Bishop likes to make signs.
IMG_1656.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg

IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg

Mr. Bishop, fine castle builder
IMG_1665.jpg

His creation as yet unfinished. Comments from me will be kept to a minimum. I think the pictures will speak for themselves. Just remember, like pictures of mountains, these pictures do not do justice to the actual viewing of the castle.
IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1666.jpg

The only blueprint available.
IMG_1668.jpg

Second floor
IMG_1669.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

IMG_1672.jpg

He saws his own lumber for floors, scaffolds, etc.
IMG_1673.jpg

The elevator winch for bringing materials to the second floor. Mr Bishop made the elevator.
IMG_1674.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

What does this symbolize?
IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1681.jpg

My Honey!!!
IMG_1683.jpg

The ball moves as one walks around. It's a little scary.
IMG_1685.jpg

IMG_1686.jpg

Stairway up
IMG_1688.jpg

You go ahead, I'll come later!
IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1690.jpg

In the ball
IMG_1696.jpg

Lori in the tall part
IMG_1700.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

No architech or engineer was involved in the castle design.
IMG_1703.jpg

Looking down from the TOP of the stairs.
IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

I think the fireplace was added as an after thought. The floor boards are burned back to the edge of the pit.
IMG_1713.jpg

Multiple use grave marker for at least 4 people.
IMG_1715.jpg

Sawmill
IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1721.jpg

Log tongs???
IMG_1722.jpg

Last edited:
The sawmill is not self feed. Mr. bishop pushes the log through the blade.

Crude but effective feed table
IMG_1723.jpg

Product
IMG_1726.jpg

2 hand winches to lift the logs onto the sawmill bed.
IMG_1727.jpg

The origiginal winch and truck from 25 years ago. Now it's used to move logs close to the sawmill.
IMG_1729.jpg

Target???? That's the highway behind it.
IMG_1731.jpg

From behind the "gift shop"
IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

"I am pretty sure my current avatar picture was taken on the center right side of this image and looking back down the valley to the peaks on the left of the image"

Scott, I'm pretty sure that you are right. Looks like the same mountains to me.

I'm sooo jealous Denny.........keep me in mind for next year.

Next year we are going to do something a little different. We are going to take a 2 week vacation to "test ride" retirement. We're not positive we will enjoy what we have planned. Anyway, we are taking the 16' travel trailer so that Linda will have more secure quarters while I go off hiking and such. We have never used a camper before, only a tent, so we don't know what to expect. The next time we schedule a dual sport ride, I will let you know. It would have been nice if you could have gone this year, but I know that one must set priorities.

No doubt it was us. Wish you had come over and introduced yourselves. I did to everyone that i saw that had a Texas tag. We hav enjoyed going there for 31 years. It sure is getting crowded. Next year, we're going to thin it out a little by going elsewhere, but will be back.

yep - regret it now. 31 years... Congrats. We've only been going for 3 years now, but looking to maybe hit the Paiute Trail UT or Moab next year. Got to do that WRT some day!

Hope we get to ride together sometime Mr. Humanrace! Enjoyed your pics, especially that Castle. Was reading about it on ADVRider just a few weeks ago. Very cool!

Thanks for sharing all your great photos. What a fantastic trip! I did an 8 day trip two years ago traversing the state from west to east and camping 3 of those days. But, alas, we were on sport tourers so had to stick to pavement (for the most part, anyway ;-) ). You guy's trip makes me want to get a dual sport. :ponder:

GIG'EM! :thumb:

yep - regret it now. 31 years... Congrats. We've only been going for 3 years now, but looking to maybe hit the Paiute Trail UT or Moab next year. Got to do that WRT some day!

Hope we get to ride together sometime Mr. Humanrace! Enjoyed your pics, especially that Castle. Was reading about it on ADVRider just a few weeks ago. Very cool!

We are also going to Utah next year, probably October. Going to Canyonlands, Moab and maybe the WRT. If you see us next time be sure to at least give a gig 'em Ags sign:-P

Next year we are going to do something a little different. We are going to take a 2 week vacation to "test ride" retirement. We're not positive we will enjoy what we have planned. Anyway, we are taking the 16' travel trailer so that Linda will have more secure quarters while I go off hiking and such. We have never used a camper before, only a tent, so we don't know what to expect. The next time we schedule a dual sport ride, I will let you know. It would have been nice if you could have gone this year, but I know that one must set priorities.

Will do....I am in the process of picking up a DS.....not sure when but in the works. I have had a few trailers and will answer any question you may have. Sometimes it takes a few trailers to find the perfect one for you. Thx for sharing the pix. I need to get a contact number from you. Maybe a Hill Country ride or something?

I kept thinking that some of my co-riders would post up. They haven't so I'll post a few of their pix to tide me over until the latest group of Two Wheeled Texan's get back from Co. and start posting.

From Chris and Susan's camera:

Their transportation to Co. and their trail bike.
DSCN2196.jpg

Overlooking Ouray
DSCN2142.jpg

A day away from the madness of trail riding 2 up.
DSCN2132.jpg

Chris and Susan with a highly recognizable mountain range behind.
DSCN2117.jpg

Scenery!!!
DSCN2116.jpg

DSCN2103.jpg

DSCN2100.jpg

DSCN2085.jpg

DSCN2082.jpg

Me and Linda
DSCN2066.jpg

A meal and a beverage in town.
DSCN2064.jpg

Really enjoyed the pics & comments! Lots great scenery. :clap:

Bishops castle is a real hoot to see. My last visit I had my wife with me. It was the only time I started valuing my life enough to NOT walk on some of those iron walkways. While Mr. Bishop has accomplished much, I am very leary of walkways, platforms and balls that move with me on them. Like you, I also wonder why some things have been left undone for so long when it appears they could be easily and/or quickly finished. I guess when one man works in one area so long, maybe he just decides to move on to something new... just losing interest in that one area?

Bike Question: :ponder:
I saw a KLR, a DRZ, and not certain of the third bike. Did any of you rejet the carbs to prepare for that altitude? I have a 09 KLR with jet kit installed and have wondered if it would perform OK in high mountain passes as is.

A KLR, DRZ400S and a DRZ400SM (mine). I'm not sure about the KLR but maybe Chris will see this post and let you know. The SM is completely stock except for a K&N filter. It runs bad at that altitude but all I had to do was remove the plastic side cover which is also the cover for the air box. For some reason, the S model ran fine. His bike is completely stock, including the filter. Before I got the DRZ, I had a 225 Yamaha and I had to go down a couple of sizes on the main jet to get it to run good.

Great story and pics. I will write up my wife's and my adventure into the west when I get home.

I look at some of the "roads" and think how trusting our wives are to sit back there and hang on.

Ya'll did happen to keep a track file on your journey did ya? I just got back from the area on a pavement run on my Bandit last week and want to go again next year on the KLR. Have not been to the high passes in seems like 10 to 15 years.

I'm technically challenged and haven't figured out how to use a GPS. Sorry.

Great pics. Thanks. Sharing adventures make lifelong friends.

Back