• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Colorado Ride & Gateway Auto Museum

RJ2

Reaction score
Returned last Friday from a 10 day trip to Colorado with a little AZ & NM thrown in. One of the highlights was a day ride from Durango to Gateway CO to the Gateway Canyons Resort to see the Gateway Auto Museum - gatewayautomuseum.com
Started by the guy who founded the Discovery Channel
IMG_20200817_111922166.jpg
d

I'd love to visit that museum. I actually sat at a table with John around 1992 at a Media / Internet conference in The Woodlands. I think the Discovery Channel was the only thing he had going at that time; "tip of the iceberg" so to speak with much more to come in the future.

I've never been in the museum, but stayed there when the lodge was first built quite often, as we'd ride the road 15 times a year and camp all over the Lasalles. Rooms were $50-65 for several years. The cactus margaritas in the restaurant were marvelous. Many moto tours especially off-roaders used to stay there as well. Thanks for the pics. Now I want to go back and see the museum as well.

In 2011 my buddy Chuck and I rode a dual sport loop on KLR's up over the mesa behind Colorado National Monument. We had started in Creede, Co, rode Stoney Pass to Ouray, then up through Uncompahgre National Forest through Gunnison over McClure Pass to Marble, where we camped for four days. From there we went over Grand Mesa, then down the Lands End Forest Service road, and through the Colorado National Monument.

Out the backside of Colorado National Monument there is a road to get to Glade Park, where it turns to dirt (see the map). We kept going west into Utah. Our plan was to make it to Moab and ride the White Rim trail. We had mapped a "road" that turned and went down into Gateway and then a road that went from Gateway, across the Dolores River into Moab. When we got to where the "X" is on the map, I got off to open a cattle gate and let Chuck through. Got back on my bike and it wouldn't crank. It was downhill, so I tried to bump start it. It started, barely, but no way would it keep running. After a little investigation, figured out the battery was dead. So, it was decided I would take Chuck's bike (we agreed I was the better rider), ride down into Gateway (it was only 17 miles) and get a battery.

I took off with no idea that the remaining part of the ride to Gateway was the WORST road I have ever ridden in my entire life. The 60 miles of road up to the "X" was no piece of cake, with sand, rocks and lots of obstacles, but the road after the "X" got ridiculous. In dozens of areas, the forest service had brought in huge rocks to reduce erosion. These rocks were probably 1 to 3 feet and stuck up like icebergs in the Atlantic. The only way I could get across was to aim the bike in a straight line, through the rocks and give it the beans. Hoping to ride the top of the tips. I still don't know how I made it.

After 10 miles of this I reached a set of switchbacks to get off the mesa. Chuck had "adjusted" his clutch so it didn't fully disengage when completely pulled in. I couldn't see to make an adjustment to change that. So, going down the switchbacks, I couldn't disengage the clutch, which made for a lively couple turns. Until I figured out that just turning the bike off and using the clutch as a brake worked pretty well. By this time I was exhausted. I made a turn, tried to stop and ended up allowing the bike to fall over against the uphill side of the road. I checked my phone and miraculously had cell service, so I called my wife, sitting at work in Houston. I told her the situation, I was exhausted and to call someone in Gateway to come rescue Chuck, because there was ABSOLUTELY no way I was riding back up this road to bring a battery.
3-4ATAReEgdPZQJL6ti66ztgA=w1069-h603-no?authuser=0.jpg

My wife contacted the assistant manager of the Gateway Resort, and told her the story. It just so happened that her husband was the fire chief, the handyman for the resort and search and rescue for Gateway. My wife called back and said he was on the way. I would meet him where the main road intersected the road I was on. It took me another hour to get off the mesa and to the intersection, where he sat waiting in his jeep. His 17 year old son was there on an ATV with a single saddle (important point). I told the dad where Chuck was, and he was going up to get him in the Jeep. His son said, there is no way the Jeep would make it back up to where Chuck was (apparently he rode up there all the time), that he would go on the ATV to get him.

The father told me to just go into Gateway and get a room (it was getting late) he would wait for his son and Chuck. I decided it was better to wait with Dad. Three hours later his son returned, and NO CHUCK! According to Chuck, there was a brief exchange of words with Chuck saying he would just stay the night because he knew I would come back in the morning. And he didn't want to ride down on the back of the ATV with a 17 year old in control. The kid just shrugged and took off. When the kid got back to the jeep, he had blisters on both his hands from holding the handlebars and throttle. So, Chuck spent the night on the mesa, eating dried RTE's and with little to drink. He did say he would have totally enjoyed the night had he had a little more water. The kid had a few bottles of water but apparently neither of them spent anytime talking.

On the other hand, I did go into Gateway and rent a room at the resort. That night I watched Monday night football, had a big steak and drank a couple glasses of wine. Everyone gives me grief about living in the lap of luxury while Chuck suffered. But I figured there was nothing I could do for Chuck and I might as well enjoy my evening. And I did.

The next day, early in the morning (it was cold), I got up and rode Hwy 141 back to Grand Junction. I got a battery at an auto parts store. Laced it onto Chuck's bike and headed back up the original road we took from Colorado National Monument. When I got to Chuck it was about noon. Chuck was getting ready to walk out on the route to Gateway. We put in the new battery and my bike cranked right up. I turned to go back the way I had just come and Chuck asked, why aren't we going this way (pointing at the road to Gateway). I said, you are welcome to go that way, but I will never ride that road again!!! We went back the way I came.

After that we decided it was time to head home.

Next spring my wife and I went and spent three days at Gateway Resort to thank them for helping. We toured the motor museum and walked many of the trails around the resort. We really enjoyed it, although it was about $300 a night.

Thanks for letting me tell my story!

Hey jfink...sounds like an adventure for sure. I was trying to follow your description and the map picture and had some questions. I'm pretty familiar with this area as I've beat it up over the years off of a KLR650 and a KLX300. My first question is about your map. I see the red line out of Gateway going north on your ride to Gateway to get a battery appears pretty much straight north for a good while. Can you tell me what trail/road number or name that was? I've looked on Google satellite and wasn't aware of any designated trail or road along that path. The only route out of Gateway I'm aware of to go west or north is 4-2/10, and it actually bends to the NW noticeably as it kinds of follows the north/east bank of the Dolores. It eventually peters out from what I remember. Don't get me wrong...I know how it is to continue down some of the ranch and old uranium paths that are no longer designated on a map. One of my longest adventures ended up taking me to a remote Dolores River overlook west of Polar Mesa on a dinky, worn out 2-track that wasn't marked.

You can definitely make your way to Moab from Glade Park, but I see your map shows y'all are headed back east at the gate when your bike quit. When y'all said you were going to Moab, I figured you were going to head west via some route that involved the Dolores Triangle Safari route, Bridge Canyon Dolores River crossing, and Top of the World Safari route to the Dewey Bridge and on to Moab via hwy 128. Understand my question isn't a challenge to what y'all did or how you got there, I'm just curious and really enjoy talking to other riders who've done some of the routes in this area.

I did get a kick out of the comment about going into Gateway to get a KLR battery.:mrgreen:

Hey jfink...sounds like an adventure for sure. I was trying to follow your description and the map picture and had some questions. I'm pretty familiar with this area as I've beat it up over the years off of a KLR650 and a KLX300. My first question is about your map. I see the red line out of Gateway going north on your ride to Gateway to get a battery appears pretty much straight north for a good while. Can you tell me what trail/road number or name that was? I've looked on Google satellite and wasn't aware of any designated trail or road along that path. The only route out of Gateway I'm aware of to go west or north is 4-2/10, and it actually bends to the NW noticeably as it kinds of follows the north/east bank of the Dolores. It eventually peters out from what I remember. Don't get me wrong...I know how it is to continue down some of the ranch and old uranium paths that are no longer designated on a map. One of my longest adventures ended up taking me to a remote Dolores River overlook west of Polar Mesa on a dinky, worn out 2-track that wasn't marked.

You can definitely make your way to Moab from Glade Park, but I see your map shows y'all are headed back east at the gate when your bike quit. When y'all said you were going to Moab, I figured you were going to head west via some route that involved the Dolores Triangle Safari route, Bridge Canyon Dolores River crossing, and Top of the World Safari route to the Dewey Bridge and on to Moab via hwy 128. Understand my question isn't a challenge to what y'all did or how you got there, I'm just curious and really enjoy talking to other riders who've done some of the routes in this area.

I did get a kick out of the comment about going into Gateway to get a KLR battery.:mrgreen:

Chuck and I started at the Colorado National Monument and rode the green line west to the "X", then I rode east on the red line down to Gateway. Looking at the map now, it looks like it was the BLM 349 to the Dolores Triangle Safari Rte. But, I can assure you, back in 2011 there was no safari going down that road! It wasn't even called the Dolores Triangle Safari Rte. From there to this point, to get on the road that had all the switchbacks. There is no road shown in google maps now, so you will have to look at it through the satellite view. Follow it all the way down to 4 2/10th road into Gateway. I hand drew the route on a Google map to give the idea of how this went down, but it probably doesn't exactly follow that route. I used CO141 the next morning, back to Grand Junction. If I remember, the morning temperature was somewhere around 40 degrees.

We had made the route, sitting here in Houston, probably looking at satellite maps and who knows what. We felt we needed a bridge to cross the Dolores River. When we got back, we read somewhere, that had we just stayed on BLM109 down to the Dolores River, there was an easy river crossing, especially late in the year when there wasn't much water.

Here is the last picture I have from that trip. This was the left turn immediately after leaving BLM109. This was the good part of the road. I stopped to open and close a cattle gate, but this is not where the battery failed.
_Mp7yIOEz6xAkhzWbtm7Pnfrg=w1129-h635-no?authuser=0.jpg

Oh my...you were loaded down pretty well. Thanks for the details. Yeah, the route you describe about the crossing at Bridge Canyon over the Dolores is what I would have expected. On the Dolores Safari route, they often like to pick some nasty sections so it could have been part of it. I also see an unmarked trail/road going pretty much north from Gateway off of 4-2/10 and wondered if that was what you took on the return to Gateway. I looked closeup on it, and it looks...interesting...LOL! Yeah, that's the problem with some of the trails in that area. There's very limited crossing options for the Colorado River and the Dolores around there. Thanks for the story. I love hearing tales from that area.

Oh my...you were loaded down pretty well. Thanks for the details. Yeah, the route you describe about the crossing at Bridge Canyon over the Dolores is what I would have expected. On the Dolores Safari route, they often like to pick some nasty sections so it could have been part of it. I also see an unmarked trail/road going pretty much north from Gateway off of 4-2/10 and wondered if that was what you took on the return to Gateway. I looked closeup on it, and it looks...interesting...LOL! Yeah, that's the problem with some of the trails in that area. There's very limited crossing options for the Colorado River and the Dolores around there. Thanks for the story. I love hearing tales from that area.

Yeah, all the stuff in the bag on top was camping stuff. Sleeping bag, tent, mat, cooking stuff. It was pretty light. But it was very loaded. It didn't look like that going to Gateway. First because I was on Chuck's bike and second, we had taken most everything off for an easier round trip. I looked at the Dolores Safari route as close as I could and I think all those things with rocky patches were actually more like stone gardens when I went through. The guys son said it was the roughest he'd seen and never went that way. I'm glad we didn't have to go rescue him. :)

I visited this a few years ago. Beautiful cars. One problem was the information board for each car was on the ground. I actually had to get down on my knees to read it. Small print also but great info about the car.
I mentioned this to the guy that took your money he didn't care. I said they should put the info board on a pole at belt level so you could actually read it. I told him I would give him $50 if he could read the info board on the car over there while he was standing. He stayed behind the counter and would not budge and take my challenge.

Back