• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

colorado (san juans) camp spots

JasonJ

Reaction score
has anyone done much camping in the ouray/telluride/silverton/montrose/lake city/pitkin areas?

there are tons of campgrounds in the area, but at the time of the year im going (last week of july) i expect them to be packed, plus its typically $20 or more just to pitch a tent for a night. i dont really plan on knowing where i will be on any given night so dont want to make any reservations.

I know you can disperse camp in a lot of spots, and thats what i am specifically looking for, cool dispersed camping spots/areas you may have stumbled across in your travels, in this area. especially if they were a long way down a bumpy dirt road and not surounded by RV's.

thanks for the link. i am trying to avoid campgrounds though, looking for good dispersed sites that people may have used over the years, in out of the way places.

I know this isn't what you're looking for, but spend a couple of hours in a hops hall or brew-pub in any of those towns (except Silverton), and you can get hooked up in a yard of a local and have the time of your life. You can do this in Silverton, just takes a little extra work.

has anyone done much camping in the ouray/telluride/silverton/montrose/lake city/pitkin areas?

there are tons of campgrounds in the area, but at the time of the year im going (last week of july) i expect them to be packed, plus its typically $20 or more just to pitch a tent for a night. i dont really plan on knowing where i will be on any given night so dont want to make any reservations.

I know you can disperse camp in a lot of spots, and thats what i am specifically looking for, cool dispersed camping spots/areas you may have stumbled across in your travels, in this area. especially if they were a long way down a bumpy dirt road and not surounded by RV's.

Anything in the National Forest will fit your bill.

I'm partial to Williams Creek campground outside Lake City and South Mineral outside Silverton.

Amphitheater outside Ouray is nice, too. ****, anything in a National Forest in Colorado is good stuff.

You can do this in Silverton, just takes a little extra work.

I have heard of such things....
625875915_ULaoh-M.jpg

Waitress in the black t-shirt in the middle wasn't wearing that shirt when we arrived. She literally traded shirts at our table....
625898525_YW3hi-M.jpg

You meet some of the coolest people in Silverton.....
625876055_axUpe-M.jpg

On what tricepilot says, head into Crested Butte and seek out the bar "Talk of the Town" and ask for Joel. He knows everyone and everything in the area. If he doesn't know, he'll know someone who does. Oh yea, and he rides a VFR too.

Back