• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Colorado via Mexico or...

Reaction score
...how I am going to spend my summer vacation.

I am loaded up and ready to head out at the butt crack of dawn tomorrow morning. I am spending two weeks on my new R12GSA in Guanajuato, Mexico:
299248868_UFeSS-M.jpg

before heading to SW Colorado on my DR650 for a week:
175460085_wvCY7-M.jpg

Let's see, three weeks away from work with my beautiful bride and both my motorocycles in Mexico and Colorado. Nope. It does NOT suck to be me.

I will try to post some pics occasionally of my trips but can't promise I won't be too busy doing absolutely nothing to actually do so...

Cheers and hope everyone has a safe and happy 4th. I'll be back in August. :rider:

-FLETCH

Be sure to visit the momias in Guanajuato. Nice road from Dolores Hidalgo thru Santa Rosa de Lima to Guanajuato. Que te vaya bien.

<green with envy>
wishing you an awesome time with your bride and bikes. Great places.

Missing Engineer's and Cinnamon Pass
Hindsdale County--highest average elevation of any county in the lower 48

:popcorn:
Looking forward to the pictures and report.

:storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm:

Not many pictures. We got caught it a downpour on day 1 and I forgot to move my camera INSIDE my waterproof jacket liner. It does not work. At all. Not missing much, though, since we have been holed up in Guanajuato drinking tequila and watching it rain.

Did y'all know July was rainy season down here? Seems it is. Go figure...

:storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm::storm: :storm: :storm:

:storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm:

Not many pictures. We got caught it a downpour on day 1 and I forgot to move my camera INSIDE my waterproof jacket liner. It does not work. At all. Not missing much, though, since we have been holed up in Guanajuato drinking tequila and watching it rain.

Did y'all know July was rainy season down here? Seems it is. Go figure...

:storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm: :storm::storm: :storm: :storm:

New Mexico is worse in August. A seventy pound pack gains a ton of weight when waterlogged going up mountains.

Of course right now, I am loving the rain, as the grass is slowly coming back from the state of greyness it was in at the ranch, and it hasnt been over 90 in a week. :mrgreen:

I was wishing I had the older, smaller GS a few times while negotiating rush hour traffic on slimy cobblestone in the rain in Saltillo.

Paige and I rode about 3 hours in a downpour and arrived in Saltillo in a monsoon. I was negotiating rush hour traffic approaching a busy intersection when I checked my mirrors to see a delivery truck bearing down on me. Fast.

I popped the clutch to gain some distance on him but then, perhaps unsurprisingly, I found myself in the middle of a lane of unyielding cross traffic. I grabbed a ton of brake, stopped on a dime then.....lost my footing on the slippery and uneven road. Down we went.

Paige executed a brilliant barrel roll and came up helping me heft the bike. A pizza delivery driver on a little honda 125cc stopped and helped, too. We were up and rolling again in about 3 seconds.

No harm, no foul but I don't think it would have happened on the 1150.

:shock:

glad you are ok...

what route are you taking to get to CO on the 650??? if you are not trailering it, i might be able to ride a stretch with you...

Thanks, It was not as dramatic as I will make it sound by the 5th version.

We are gonna trailer it but I will probably unload it in Las Vegas or Taos and ride in the rest of the way...

Pictures are (finallly) loaded...

Here is what I see when I look behind me on the motorcycle....

339387699_qBMbE-M.jpg

More pics coming....

Like I may have mentioned....I left my camera in my OUTSIDE pocket during a torrential downpour that started about halfway to Saltillo. Consequently, the first week or so of this last trip are not documented with pictures.

We finally made it to SMA to buy a camera which, of course, I dropped on the concrete two weeks later in Colorado and destroyed so the END of the trip is also largely undocumented.

Since there are so few photos I will not belabor them with too much verbosity and let them speak for themselves.....

It took two hours to actually BUY the camera once we found one at the Office Depot in SMA....here we are leaving and ready to produce evidence of the trip!
339387676_btHKa-M.jpg

First attempt to use the new camera outside SMA
339388105_f4PBx-M.jpg

Pets or lunch outside SMA???
339388058_q5jXf-M.jpg

Paige immediately after the 2nd of 3 spills in Mexico on the new R12GSA (did I mention it is a very tall bike???). She was a trouper each time....she just rolled and came up hefting without a complaint. This particular fiasco was 100% user error as I attempted a slow speed, tight u-turn on a dirt road with a mound of dirt at the shoulder as I was trying to get out of the way of a boy on a bicycle leading a horse on a tether.
339388156_qP8dp-M.jpg

Paige letting us into the garage on our rental in Guanajuato....it was a 2-person job with the blind curve, speeding drivers and steep entry....(BTW, that's Paige in the background in the hi-viz not in the foreground in the red with the perplexed look....)
339388296_GZg9G-M.jpg

The view from our balcony
339394686_xQSGd-M.jpg

We could watch baseball games from our balcony....
339388676_4jWTh-M.jpg

...or kids and dogs.
339388612_wgsMC-M.jpg

...or just drink Indio beer and Cokes or have coffee and relax
339388996_kmdgh-M.jpg
339388990_sfZVo-M.jpg

339391964_AzpDx-M.jpg

Some more pics of our rental
339389009_PeXom-M.jpg
339389367_bFgJw-M.jpg

339389370_XouWB-M.jpg

More later....

Those accomodations look beautiful! If you don't mind me asking, how much does a place like that cost to rent down there?

Those accomodations look beautiful! If you don't mind me asking, how much does a place like that cost to rent down there?

Thanks. We really enjoyed it. The cost and the way we found it were a bit unusual. We 'sublet' it from a fantastic couple from Wisconsin who are leasing it for a full year but were going home for ths summer. They are paying $1000 US per month.

We searched and searched for a place to rent in G'to that was big enough for some guests. 2+ bed/bath places are hard to find and we let a couple slip through our fingers while we firmed up travel dates. I eventually found this one on Craigslist and paid them $800 for 2+ weeks although I probably could have got it for $1k for a whole month.

That's a little high for G'to town but it was 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, huge kitchen, 5 space garage, multiple patios, great views and a super location on the Panoramica just above Embajadoras. You can find plenty of nice 1 bed/1 bath or 2 bed/1 bath right in town for $200 per week - especially if you know someone in town who can look for flyers and postings and such. It is a university town.

Here are some more pics of the place....
299248869_zTvRv-S.jpg
299248992_UjSQS-S.jpg

299248992_UjSQS-S.jpg
299248997_26RpD-S.jpg

The patio faced due east so we could watch the sun rise over the mountains while we ate breakfast every morning (for about 3 hours). It was one of our favorite things to do....
339391964_AzpDx-M.jpg

....other than Happy Hour on the same patio. This is us enjoying Palomas one afternoon!!!
339394350_u5B3U-M.jpg
339394332_2Qv9o-M.jpg

339394673_niNMP-M.jpg
339394398_Zr7Qm-M.jpg

If you are ever interested in renting a place down there let me know....I made some great contacts during my search for a place this summer.

More pictures! Now with fewer words!

Road food for the Mexican motorcycle traveler: Bimbo donuts and drinkable yogurt!
339395775_jgxMS-M.jpg

Best meal of the trip in either country!
339389777_mrZBM-M.jpg
339389734_nt2CY-M.jpg

Of course we had pie while enjoying the patio...
339390031_8ahEZ-M.jpg
339390068_FjwHX-M.jpg

I love the Mexican "Roof Dogs".
339390770_DBVJf-M.jpg

And the terrestial ones, too....
339391960_fYixq-M.jpg

Second best meal of the trip. Flaming cheese! Mmmm...
339393302_w3mUs-M.jpg
339393000_cfdaL-M.jpg

Happy travelers.
339393034_RxqPh-M.jpg
339392922_QKtKx-M.jpg

Paige locked herself out of the house on the roof....looks like she is in jail!
339392257_hGm9G-M.jpg

Here's how you get your pizza in Guanajuato
339393387_2RgWp-M.jpg

335 steps up from El Centro to our house....at 7500 feet elevation. It's fine when you're sober. Or maybe it's when you're drunk.
339390703_p65BV-M.jpg

The callejon UP from our house
339390395_2bvSX-M.jpg

The Panoramica around the corner from our house...
339391208_8Q9ut-M.jpg

My favorite view of the city (that is, any view she stands in front of....)
339393402_9XK3b-M.jpg

We had company from Austin....and they brought a convertible!
339393671_vHpUZ-M.jpg
339394736_WsBQb-M.jpg

339395030_6sLh4-M.jpg
339395086_PBJGo-M.jpg

My favorite view of Monterrey!
339387253_rLoZY-M.jpg

339391591_pgpqS-M.jpg

Next installment: COLORADO! ! !

web.jpg

Last edited:
Fred,
It was great meeting you in Lake City. I was on the ktm's with my son. We looked for you after we cleaned up but missed you. We had 3 or 4 more great days of riding but in Utah the oil drain plug stripped on the 520 and I wasn't sure if all the metal chunks in the oil were jsut threads or something else so we came home. Hopefully we'll cross paths again.

Steve

Fred,
It was great meeting you in Lake City. I was on the ktm's with my son. We looked for you after we cleaned up but missed you. We had 3 or 4 more great days of riding but in Utah the oil drain plug stripped on the 520 and I wasn't sure if all the metal chunks in the oil were jsut threads or something else so we came home. Hopefully we'll cross paths again.

Steve

Steve, I am sorry to hear about your mechanical issues. it was really great to meet you, too. I stopped in the bar to look for y'all after I went to the grocery store but you were probably still taking a long, well-deserved shower. I will have to buy you that beer next time we cross paths. I look forward to reading a report of YOUR trip (hint, hint). -Fred

She must like Barrio Antiguo near the river ( walking towards El Rey de Cabrito).

You hit it on the head. She is walking down the western edge of Barrio Antiguo towards the river bed. "El Rey del Cabrito" is just around the corner to the left in the picture....

Hey Fred!
Glad you and Page had a wonderful time. I sure miss Guanajuato. You guys picked a great place to spend you time. Are you going to Copper Canyon this fall? Denise has given me the ok if you do. If you still have that Indio I'm ready to enjoy one of my favorite beers. Tell ya what. I will give you my 1150GS same color as your old one. All you have to do is give me that very very tall, top heavy 1200 GS. Glad your back safe and sound. See ya soon.

Back