• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Comparing Photos

Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Chesley
I don't know if this is the right place for this experiment I did today. I've been wanting to try the G12 with RAW and Jpeg so I could compare what an untouched photo would look like between the raw file being processed as is by LR 4 and Picasa 3.
The first one is straight Jpeg out of the camera .
IMG_0496.jpg

The Second is CR2 converted to Jpeg by Picasa3 using the save as feature
IMG_0496%20Picasa.jpg

The Last one is CR2 converted to Jeg by LR4.
IMG_0496-1%20lr.jpg

Now to see what Photobucket may have done to alter anything.

Looking like Picasa did a good job in adding a bit of contrast.
Oh Yes, Tell me where I"m at. Only one Memorial Park like this one that I've seen.

#2 looks to have toned down the highlights and picked up some detail in the sky to me.....

Shooting RAW allows you SOoooo much flexibility in LR and doing post as you have SOoooo much more data to work with.

I was amazed at the results as I did no adjustments to the photo other than open the CR2 file up in Picasa3 and LR4 and save them as Jpegs.

Oh yes, this park is just north of Port Arthur on 87. Heading north Just stay far right untill you must get on the 4 lane. to the right. Big refinery on the left.

OK your post got me to thinking about SOOC (Straight Out Of the Camera) and subtle LR tinkering.

The original .cr2 (Raw) file.

IMG_0496-1%20lr.jpg

And with a very short maybe a minutes worth of investment.

i-v6H4RQw-XL.png

i-x7BDqrH-XL.jpg

edit: I totally missed the point of the thread, but will agree that it looks like Picassa altered the image from as shot. To be honest I don't know how I feel about that, because if I haven't asked it to manipulate the image, I am not sure I want it manipulating the image... hmmmm. unsure.

Last edited:
Yeah Andy, Picassa DID so some changes to your file simply on an import/export.... Looks like it added some artifacts too. like in the top right a spot in the corner, brought some contrast into the clouds and put a fuzzy/de-clarify blob on the radiator.

Like Duke, I too would have thought bringing in a file would have zero changes to it but apparently the "Save As" feature did something. Could you have also hit some button like "enhance" or some other preset built-in?

Just thought of something else that proved interesting on this experiment.
The Jpeg from the camera produced a file 1758 KBs
The LR4 Jpeg was 1159 KBS
The Picasa jpeg was 2748 KBs
The CR2 file was 16,083 KBs

Back