• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

COPPER CANYON '13 - THE FROG TOUR

Great photos. Thanks for sharing. I had to search around here, but I knew I had a postcard from "Barranca De Sinforosa". Nine years ago three riders and myself took our wife's to see the canyons there. A the time, we were told that there was only one road to the canyon view point. No roads led into the canyon. Pavement. Progress? I guess they go together. Glad y'all had a good trip.

Day 1 - OJ to Creel

Since we’d been able to get our paperwork done the previous evening, Sunday morning was an early start. JT and I decided to forgo breakfast and maybe catch a taco or two somewhere along the route. I mean, it’s Mexico…how hard can it be to hunt up a dang taco?

The trail from OJ down to Creel is a 300 mile endurance test. :giveup: Good desert vistas and some great twisty pavement through the mountains make for a good ride.

SUNP0001.jpg

My KLR had a flakey fan fuse that was off and on. I had to keep a close eye on the temp gauge. It was pretty warm out in the desert and climbing through the mountains only made it worse.

SUNP0004.jpg

Even KLR's need nourishment occasionally.

SUNP0005.jpg

I had no idea there was serious horticulture going on around Cuatemoc. Apple orchards go on for miles around 7K feet elevation. High density, drip irrigated, trellised with shade cloth…miles of shade cloth.

SUNP0006.jpg

SUNP0003.jpg

Also saw some first rate row crop operations using center pivot irrigation and several large cattle feedlot facilities. Yeah…I can't help it...it's an A&M thing.

SUNP0002.jpg

Creel turned out to be a cool little town along the river and made a great place to settle in for the evening. Lots of friendly folks and a junior high celebration going on down the street that evening. Little kids being kids just like anywhere else.

SUNP0008.jpg

Izz loaned me his VOM ( who else would be carrying a top notch VOM in their saddle bags? ) and the flaky fuse issue was soon resolved.

SUNP0007.jpg

Day 2 - Hit the Dirt and make some dust.

I had no idea there was serious horticulture going on around Cuatemoc. Apple orchards go on for miles around 7K feet elevation. High density, drip irrigated, trellised with shade cloth…miles of shade cloth.

SUNP0006.jpg

SUNP0003.jpg

Also saw some first rate row crop operations using center pivot irrigation and several large cattle feedlot facilities. Yeah…I can't help it...it's an A&M thing.

There is a large Mennonite community in Cuauhtémoc.
I wonder if this were some of their works.
.............see also

RG, when we were there we asked what the cables were for that were uspended above the apple trees. We were told that the "netting", which was bunched up in many places along the cable, when there was a threat or chance for hail, they would hurry out and spread the netting over the apples so the apples wouldn't be bruised by the hail. HB ps both of our reasons for the netting are possible.

Day Two, Creel to Baborigami via Barrancas de Sinforosa
We left Guachochi searching for the trail head of Sinforosa Canyon. We followed GPS tracks and ended up at missing our exit. No problem, we found it short after with the help of the guy in charge of building the road. This is what you see once you clear the tree line.

P1090095-L.jpg

P1090094-L.jpg

P1090096-L.jpg

On the following picture you may be able to see a white metal obelisk at the last turn. We found out from the locals in Baborigami that it was built by the construction company that built the road years back.

IMG_3614-L.jpg

IMG_3616-L.jpg

IMG_3617-L.jpg

IMG_3620-L.jpg

IMG_3622-L.jpg

IMG_3624-L.jpg

IMG_0054-L.jpg

As we were admiring the view from the Obelisk, Izz mentioned something that cought his eye as we were about to hit the turn. We used Izz binoculars and found this sculpture on the side of the mountain.

IMG_0059-L.jpg

IMG_0060-L.jpg

We discussed what it could be and arrived at the conclusion that could be Angel Gabriel fighting evil. Again, we asked the locals and were told that the same construction company had it built and installed as a symbol of the triumph of good versus evil. Building that road must have been a real B.....

IMG_0062-L.jpg

RG headed out in front of me and, unbeknown to him, dropped his Spot on the road. Thank goodness it was the orange one and not the black. I would have missed it.
IMG_0062-L.jpg

We continue down the road to the bottom of the canyon. Can not remember the name of the river, but we enjoy cooling off a bit on it.

IMG_0064-L.jpg

IMG_0063-L.jpg

IMG_0066-L.jpg

IMG_0067-L.jpg

IMG_0068-L.jpg

IMG_0070-L.jpg

Some did more than others!

IMG_0072-L.jpg

IMG_0071-L.jpg

P1090102-L.jpg

We dried off and continue toward Baborigami.

P1090104-L.jpg

[/img][/url]

Hugo realizes he is missing his license plate

IMG_3644-L.jpg

We saw these trees all along the canyons. Don't know their name either.
IMG_0076-L.jpg

Early evening we arrived at Baborigami

IMG_0083-L.jpg

and we stayed at this place
IMG_0082-L.jpg

The people at the Hotel were delightful and took great care of us, specially the little David.

IMG_0077-L.jpg

IMG_0079-L.jpg

IMG_0078-L.jpg

IMG_0085-L.jpg

IMG_0086-L.jpg

IMG_0087-L.jpg

He is going to be an ADV rider

IMG_0089-L.jpg

IMG_0091-L.jpg

We said our goodbyes and were asked to take a picture with all the staff.

IMG_0090-L.jpg

"We saw these trees all along the canyons. Don't know their name either."

That appears to be a Madrone.

Day Two, Creel to Baborigami via Barrancas de Sinforosa

This is what you see once you clear the tree line.

P1090095-L.jpg

Upon seeing this picture, I immediately began searching for a
gigantic full page envy icon. Oh well the drool will have to suffice.

:drool:

Great report!

Hey JT, which bike did you take? I was surprised not to see the XRL. :shrug:

jt.jpg

Hi Tom, I took my KLX400R for its first adventure south of the border. Overall, I was very happy with it. The old XR may be on the auction block soon...

Ok...Next day. The trail from Creel to Baborigame.

This lake was a nice early diversion and it took about that long for the local vendors to make the scene. Seems like no matter how remote the location, these folks would pop out of the woods where ever we stopped. But, they always had some interesting crafts to offer. I admire their initiative and creativity, really.

scott-indians.jpg

Along the way... You have to know that cameras just don't begin to show the experience.

canyon.jpg

roads.jpg

" Wow! Look at that road. Man, wish we were going that way." "Dude...we are." This revelation was repeated time after time during this ride.

SUNP0047.jpg

SUNP0030.jpg

SUNP0051.jpg

The latter part of the afternoon trail was going down into the low lands - and it was four kinds of hot and dusty. By the time we made it to this river we'd have gladly swam in a cattle trough...if there was one. JT wasted little time in finding a way down to the stream. Ahhhh....man! If ever the Good Lord put a cool river in just the right place!

SUNP0062.jpg

SUNP0063.jpg

river-1.jpg

SUNP0069.jpg

This is about where my clutch cable went " POP ". Arrrgh! The bad news is I had to wing it the rest of the day with no clutch. Not all that bad, really. Clutches are way over rated. The really good news is that Hugo had a spare...ingeniously zip tied to his bike. :dude: COOL! Onward through the fog!

When it gets to where something smells like it really did die - and you're the only one there...Laundry day for the Fabulous Frog tour at the hotel Sierra Grande.

SUNP0075.jpg

Tomorrow...onward to Polanco and the grand non sequitur.

SUNP0154.jpg

:thpt: Whoa, whoa, whoa. :pound: I'm calling foul.... I don't usually care about stuff like this but
I always thought I was the one who made up that quote :argh:

Correct me if I'm wrong :ponder: :wary:

OK, sorry, continue with the story :dude:

Much apologies for my misquote, Meeltone. Now I know. As they say...the truth is the truth wherever you find it.

There is a large Mennonite community in Cuauhtémoc.
I wonder if this were some of their works.

I spotted some of these folks as we passed through. All wearing their traditional attire just as they do here. It started to make sense about then. When Asgro builds a colored rock logo on the side of a hill...you can bet somebody around there is buying a bunch of seed.

*** Hardy, I expect that shade cloth serves several purposes. Bird damage protection being another beyond shade and hail. I visited with one of our horticulturist about the apple industry there. While touring some of these farms years ago, he asked one of the growers why with all the high tech horticulture being used they had made no allowance for machinery between the rows. The guy looked puzzled at him and asked what for...it's ALL hand labor. Kind of an epiphany moment for the so called experts.

Amazing place, great road. Wish I was there. It's 100 F here.
:sun:Might as well be hot at a place you want to be, instead of a place you have to be.

To add to RG's pics from Baborigame

IMG_3648-L.jpg

Planning the next day

IMG_3650-L.jpg

A view of the Hotel's restaurant entrance from the courtyard.

IMG_3652-L.jpg

Morning maintenance!
IMG_3657-L.jpg

IMG_3656-L.jpg

IMG_3658-L.jpg

IMG_3660-L.jpg

IMG_3659-L.jpg

Onto Polanco via Morelos

IMG_3661-L.jpg

IMG_3662-L.jpg

IMG_3663-L.jpg

IMG_3666-L.jpg

We stopped at this place for a drink and resting. Nice place and big plans for the future, restaurant, hotel, etc.
IMG_3667-L.jpg

Izz tried a fresh Mango for the first time, and he is surprised at how good it tasted.

IMG_0095-L.jpg

IMG_0101-L.jpg

Gas stop. We followed the tracks from previous explores and it was right where it should have been.

IMG_0103-L.jpg

IMG_0105-L.jpg

Fellow on the left hand side is pretty happy and loaded. He is trying to help as much as he can but he barely can stand up. We tried to be as polite as possible since he had a nice blade on his pocket.

IMG_0104-L.jpg

Off we go toward Morelos

IMG_0106-L.jpg

IMG_0111-L.jpg

IMG_0110-L.jpg

IMG_0113-L.jpg

Cont. 3rd day, Baborigami-Polanco

Our goal for the third day was to make it to Morelos. However, once we got there we realized that the place was not only at the bottom of a canyon, consequently hot, but the hotel we found did not meet the lowest of our expectations. Also, we didn't feel good waves. So, after a round of beer at the back of the hotel we decided to head toward the next town, Polanco. "Good decision"

We arrived at this little place at the top of a mountain and we found a little paradise.
IMG_0121-L.jpg

We asked at the general store if there was a hotel and the lady pointed toward the other side of the yard. The next question was about room availability and she said, " let me go and get the rooms ready. So, we waited and had some fun.
IMG_0120-L.jpg

IMG_0122-L.jpg

IMG_0124-L.jpg

No sooner we were off the bikes, Izz pointed out to me that my bike frame is compromised where it connects to my saddle back rack. Since we are in Mexico, I just walked down the general store and asked the young fellow working there if he had a welder. Of course he has one and stops what he is doing to go get it ready for me. I meant Izz.

IMG_3673-L.jpg

No soon after, we had a crowd watching!
IMG_3674-L.jpg

IMG_3676-L.jpg

IMG_3677-L.jpg

IMG_3679-L.jpg

IMG_3678-L.jpg

IMG_3682-L.jpg

Funny thing is the mask is not working properly so Izz does the welding with his eyes closed to avoid the eye damaging brightness.

IMG_3688-L.jpg

IMG_3689-L.jpg

IMG_3691-L.jpg

IMG_3697-L.jpg

IMG_3696-L.jpg

In the mean time, the rest are just enjoying some brews!

IMG_3698-L.jpg

IMG_3700-L.jpg

After the welding is done I joined an ongoing volleyball game.

IMG_3699-L.jpg

Check out this pit

IMG_3706-L.jpg

these two are waiting patiently for their room to be done
IMG_3707-L.jpg

view from the back of the hotel

IMG_3709-L.jpg

IMG_3708-L.jpg

laundry with a view

IMG_3711-L.jpg

IMG_3712-L.jpg

Inside the restaurant

IMG_3714-L.jpg

IMG_3713-L.jpg

Happy customer!

IMG_3717-L.jpg

IMG_3722-L.jpg

To be continue!

Polanco to Urique

Day four. We had arranged to have breakfast by 7:30am with the owner/cook of the restaurant. We ordered scrambled eggs with shreaded beef, tortillas, frijolitos, the works. We ate with gusto and headed out down this road toward Urique. The road was nice and well maintain!
IMG_0124-L.jpg

IMG_0124-L.jpg

IMG_0124-L.jpg

IMG_0124-L.jpg

Then we run into this poor old abandoned truck. The whole back end was gone, parts maybe. It has been canibalized for parts and who knows what else.

IMG_0124-L.jpg

IMG_0124-L.jpg

Cont. Polanco to Urique via Batopilas

I meant to post the following pictures. I tried using and Ipad and screwed everything up.

IMG_0125-L.jpg

IMG_0127-L.jpg

IMG_0126-L.jpg

IMG_0128-L.jpg

IMG_0130-L.jpg

IMG_0131-L.jpg

IMG_0132-L.jpg

IMG_0135-L.jpg

IMG_0136-L.jpg

IMG_0137-L.jpg

After the third attempt, I finally made it to the church in Batopilas. The municipality have done wonders paving the roads, some of the roads! The place looks nice and well kept. However, inside the church is a different story.

IMG_0139-L.jpg

IMG_0140-L.jpg

IMG_0142-L.jpg

IMG_0145-L.jpg

IMG_0147-L.jpg

IMG_0148-L.jpg

IMG_0149-L.jpg

Then we run into this precious young lady. I can not remember her name at this moment, but her story is well known by many. I'll let someone else fill the gap.

IMG_0155-L.jpg

IMG_3757-L.jpg

IMG_3759-L.jpg

After visiting the church and fixing Hugo's bike, we headed out to downtown Batopilas. Again, the local government is doing a lot of work around the town.

IMG_0152-L.jpg

IMG_0153-L.jpg

IMG_0154-L.jpg

IMG_0161-L.jpg

IMG_0162-L.jpg

IMG_0163-L.jpg

IMG_0164-L.jpg

IMG_0166-L.jpg

We did spent some time getting to know some of the locals in Bato.

IMG_0159-L.jpg

IMG_0160-L.jpg

IMG_3767-L.jpg

IMG_3768-L.jpg

IMG_3769-L.jpg

IMG_3775-L.jpg

We left Batopilas rumbo Urique. I run into this group of young little ladys that were heading home after a good day at school.

IMG_0168-L.jpg

Up and away to Urique!

IMG_0170-L.jpg

IMG_0172-L.jpg

IMG_0175-L.jpg

IMG_0176-L.jpg

IMG_0178-L.jpg

IMG_0181-L.jpg

IMG_0185-L.jpg

IMG_0183-L.jpg

We quickly found a hotel and unloaded the bikes. Next, walk around town to see what it has to offer.

IMG_0187-L.jpg

IMG_0186-L.jpg

IMG_0188-L.jpg

IMG_3786-L.jpg

IMG_3788-L.jpg

IMG_3787-L.jpg

IMG_3790-L.jpg

IMG_3789-L.jpg

IMG_3793-L.jpg

IMG_3799-L.jpg

IMG_3797-L.jpg

IMG_3802-L.jpg

So cool. I hit a lot of those locations in '07, but without an MC. However we did mountain bike creel and stopped at Lake Arareko for photos too.

Back