• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Corbin vs. Sargeant

brcol

Reaction score
Has anybody had both? What would you say about them? I have a Sargeant that its OK, but still has me squirming a bit after 3-4hrs. It is tolerable for all day travel, but isn't perfect.

I personally had a Mustang seat on my VN2000 and loved it. Round trip to Daytona a few years back with no complaints. On my GSA I have a Russel Day Long, and man I love it!

My bike came with Sargent seat and a Russel Day Long seat and I bought a Corbin seat. Each of them have their purpose and advantages.

Comfort wise in those long distance trips, there is nothing beating the Russell Day Long seat for both the rider and passenger. There is no comfortable place for the passenger in corbin seat. Passenger will be sliding towards the rider in Corbin.

If you want to take the bike to the twisties or ride aggressively, Corbin lets you to slide around the seat. Also its the lowest of the three. Best seat for aggressive riding is Corbin. Comfort wise, Russel Day long is best. Sargent is in between but mostly on the comfort side. Height wise , its in between Russell Day long and Corbin. Sargent seat is comfortable for both the driver and passenger. Sargent seat is more flat, wide and comfortable than the Corbin for both the rider and passenger.

But both Corbin and Sargent make my Butt feel pain after few hundred miles. You would need a Sheepskin pad or Airhawk pads to prolong the comfort.

Problem with Russell Day long seat is, its taller and if I come to a stop at the light, I need to tip toe it, since I cant flat foot it and also the wide side bolsters make hindrance to your thighs. Its good for sitting on it and keep riding but for stopping or in the twisties, I don't like it. Since its height is significantly noticeable, you will find that you need to bend forward a little more to grab the handlebars unless you have adjustable risers.

My 2c

Guess I'm the only one that has had both and traveled over 2 K miles on the Sargent and over 80K miles on the Corbin.
At the time I had the Sargent , I had my windshield / handle bar set up rigged for the Corbin's 1 inch lower than stock seat. So, the Sargent sat me higher and up into the air stream more. Also the Sargent was a softer seat which wore on me. Now that's just me. Others may like the softer seat but I find wide and harder better for my hine end over the course of day to day touring.
So , the Sargent was sold and the Corbin stayed and is still on my plus 90K Suzuki Bandit 1250S.
Now days' being as I can't stay in the saddle more than a couple hundred miles a day and the long distance touring is over due to body issues, I could probably live with the softer Sargent.

I've had the Corbin, Sergent, and the Holeshot Corbin. My ranking would be: The Holeshot then Sergent then regular Corbin. Opinions will differ though. The Holeshot sits you down in the bucket compared to the other two.

I think I will have Sargent rebuild my stock seat this winter. Raise it 1/2" and widen it just a bit.

I pretty much have the same experience with the Corbin seat and the Russel as everyone else.

I had a Corbin on my VFR. It was a very firm seat that let you slide around on it. After 2 hours I was ready to get off. I now have a Russell on my V-strom. It's defiantly taller but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I can ride all day on that thing.

My bike came with Sargent seat and a Russel Day Long seat and I bought a Corbin seat. Each of them have their purpose and advantages.

Comfort wise in those long distance trips, there is nothing beating the Russell Day Long seat for both the rider and passenger. There is no comfortable place for the passenger in corbin seat. Passenger will be sliding towards the rider in Corbin.

If you want to take the bike to the twisties or ride aggressively, Corbin lets you to slide around the seat. Also its the lowest of the three. Best seat for aggressive riding is Corbin. Comfort wise, Russel Day long is best. Sargent is in between but mostly on the comfort side. Height wise , its in between Russell Day long and Corbin. Sargent seat is comfortable for both the driver and passenger. Sargent seat is more flat, wide and comfortable than the Corbin for both the rider and passenger.

But both Corbin and Sargent make my Butt feel pain after few hundred miles. You would need a Sheepskin pad or Airhawk pads to prolong the comfort.

Problem with Russell Day long seat is, its taller and if I come to a stop at the light, I need to tip toe it, since I cant flat foot it and also the wide side bolsters make hindrance to your thighs. Its good for sitting on it and keep riding but for stopping or in the twisties, I don't like it. Since its height is significantly noticeable, you will find that you need to bend forward a little more to grab the handlebars unless you have adjustable risers.

My 2c
My previously owned Honda ST1100 had a used RDL saddle..that I bought for it...When it was time to stop and put my feet down I would slide as far forward as I could...that way the side bolsters are lessened in width and i could plant my feet on the road. Raising me 2" was the magic cure for all the discomforts i was experiencing..I'm thinking i need a RDL on this bike too...

Started with Sargent "low" and graduated to Holeshot. Much better for me, @30" inseam and 33" sleeve. Sargent is for sale if anyone's interested.
t110

Started with Sargent "low" and graduated to Holeshot. Much better for me, @30" inseam and 33" sleeve. Sargent is for sale if anyone's interested.
t110

t110,

Is your seat still for sale? If so, can you post pictures and let me know the price for it?

Before you spend the big bucks, you might want to check out seats by Terry Adcock. Mine is the most comfortable seat I have ever had, and I have had Sargent and Corbin. The kicker is that his seats are cheaper.

Randy

Seats are a personal choice. I've had recommendations on seats for bikes, tried them, some worked for me, most didn't. Only way to know is get some rump time in them and decide if it's a keeper or for sale at a loss.

I agree with Desert Skies on this big time. I probably spent about 900 bucks playing with seats back in '07 trying to find one that would do me day after day on the road with a DL1000. Even made a trip to Hollister's Corbin place to make mods to the seat. Felt pretty darn good in the parking lot but was starting to suck after about another 500 miles in the saddle. Only kept that bike a year and about 24K miles before trading it for an '07 Bandit which I still have and ride with the Corbin that's been there since new in '08. It just worked for me.

Thanks guys. Good info. I just stripped the seats and installed gel pads and memory foam. Made a massive difference! I also installed a set of MX style handlebars to make my position a bit more upright which rolls me back into my but. Way more comfortable now with the extra softness and not riding around on my nuts. One note though. It did change the seat lines some. I tried carving out just the top and leaving the edges but the factory foam is way too stiff and those edges turned into blades. I had to strip to covers again and expand the pads. Here are some pictures of the seat, new handlebars and the bike as of yesterday with it all back together.

Attachments

• 3691C671-C40A-432F-8C07-9AAC46F08F0E.jpeg
    3691C671-C40A-432F-8C07-9AAC46F08F0E.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 1,135
  • AD5FB1E0-1209-427E-B79C-A340BF2CF52B.jpeg
    AD5FB1E0-1209-427E-B79C-A340BF2CF52B.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 591
  • 32549771-0936-4125-B596-567DD8CF3A9B.jpeg
    32549771-0936-4125-B596-567DD8CF3A9B.jpeg
    310.7 KB · Views: 528
  • DAD35590-B820-4B18-BDCA-1A798E4D6001.jpeg
    DAD35590-B820-4B18-BDCA-1A798E4D6001.jpeg
    696.1 KB · Views: 603
  • B55981D0-4355-4531-A3A1-C8E86527653D.jpeg
    B55981D0-4355-4531-A3A1-C8E86527653D.jpeg
    551.2 KB · Views: 510
Before you spend the big bucks, you might want to check out seats by Terry Adcock. Mine is the most comfortable seat I have ever had, and I have had Sargent and Corbin. The kicker is that his seats are cheaper.

Randy

I’ve had a Terry’s west on a 13 Vstrom 650 and while it worked well for me, my wife didn’t care for it. It was too wide and the edge of the seat cut into the backs of her legs while riding. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a Sargeant, not a Corbin. It was a definite improvement over the stock VStrom seat. However, the biggest single comfort improvement I've found has been an Airhawk seat pad, which has added significant miles to my get-out-of-Texas riding days. You can buy them for around $150 for most any saddle. Something you might want to try before spending mega-bucks on another seat.

• Love
Reactions: Hmm
I’m in the hunt for a new seat for my GSA. I liked my Corbin on my previous bike so I was thinking about going that route, but the Russell got me eye, mostly because I want to tour with my gf more than I want to adv around (never thought I’d consider one, honestly).

My only concern is how the Russell obtrudes when standing on the pegs. Been reading online, some people like it, others hate it.

I guess I can always get two saddles, one for touring and one for dual sport adventures. Not ideal though.

In the Corbin vs Sargent question
I have always thought that..
If youre a heavier type person..the firmness of the Corbin works better overall
But..if youre a lighter slimmer person...the Sargent will be jus fine. Both have similar shapes...(depending on the bike of course)
I rode on Corbins for many many miles...
Suzy VX800 (20k)...DL1000 & 650s (over 200k total)...& a Yammy FJR1300 (30k)..Im of the heavier persuasion.
Now I have had a Seat Concepts on my Teneres for 60k total & have been fairly happy so far....but I may try something else soon

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

I have the Holeshot / Corbin rider/passenger seat. I love the seat comfort and feel but ride solo and am looking to trade someone for the solo street fighter Holeshot / Corbin. if I can’t find a trade, I would sell my Holeshot / Corbin so I can get the solo seat. Looking for $350 plus $25 shipping to the lower 48 states.

Attachments

• 2CB8FA77-0766-4CF0-93EA-246E59BDBFC4.jpeg
    2CB8FA77-0766-4CF0-93EA-246E59BDBFC4.jpeg
    371.3 KB · Views: 227
Corbin over sargent anyday for my specific tail end. Owned 3 sets of sargents, at least 10 Corbins over the years. Sargent has awesome customer support though! Never owned Russel but hate how they look, but almost everyone who owns one loves em.

In the Corbin vs Sargent question
I have always thought that..
If youre a heavier type person..the firmness of the Corbin works better overall
But..if youre a lighter slimmer person...the Sargent will be jus fine. Both have similar shapes...(depending on the bike of course)
I rode on Corbins for many many miles...
Suzy VX800 (20k)...DL1000 & 650s (over 200k total)...& a Yammy FJR1300 (30k)..Im of the heavier persuasion.
Now I have had a Seat Concepts on my Teneres for 60k total & have been fairly happy so far....but I may try something else soon

Still dooin fine with the Seat Concepts on my newest (a blue) Tenere. In January I traded the white Ten for a 2014 Strom 1000 which has a Sargent seat set on it. First Sargent Ive put any seat time on & its not bad for daylong rides which is mostly how I'll be using the Strom. The Tenere is my travellin bike so a more comfy seat could be in the cards.
As a side note to the question of overall seat comfort....

Years ago...I rode wearing good ol bluejeans & would suffer after a while in the saddle. Around 2000 or so I stumbled upon a cure to the buttburn. While riding during cold weather..I was trying out my new Polartec lined jeans & noticed I could ride all day in comfort. Hmmmmmm....if only I could get that comfort in warmer weather??
The solution..for me..was a pr of textile riding pants. Specifically Firstgear MeshTex & Tour Master Venture mesh. No more buttburn with those ..& subsequent Revit & Olympia mesh or textile.

Last edited:
Back