• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Corpus Christi - Project Honda XR250R - New Rider

Reaction score
IMG_20180811_170839265.jpg

Hi group, I am WaltC from Corpus Christi. In 2018, I bought a 1996 Honda XR250R and I took a motorcycle license class. I soon found out that the Honda had low compression. I have not given up on it. I sent the top end to the machine shop, and it is ready for me to put it back together. I am looking forward to riding trails and maybe some dirt roads because there is not many trails in Corpus.

Welcome, that will be a fun bike. If it's been sitting awhile sometimes compression will build up as you run it as it just needs gunk burned off the valves.

Down in Corpus you can ride that on the beach I think? Sand is fun once you get the hang of it & great practice for bike control.

Welcome to the forum and that's nice little bike , plenty capable. I'm past due for a trip to your area . It`s a shame they don`t allow riding in Charlies pasture at Port A anymore .

My first bike was an XR200. Not exactly the same, but darn close. Those bikes can last forever and bring many miles of joy. Welcome!

@ JMZ - I'm not familiar with riding in Port A. There is a place in Robstown called DDMX motocross ranch. I haven't seen it in person, but there are a few videos online.

@ Baja_Bound - I considered the XR200 as well. There was a lot of them for sale two years ago. I can see that it would have been a fun bike.

Thanks

@WaltC , welcome and really good to hear you got that bike up and running. True, CC does not have any places to ride a non-plated bike--at least not any longer. Like @JMZ mentioned "Charlie's Pasture" was onces a fun place to ride. Of course back in the day there were quite a few of places to ride in and around CC. North Padre and Mustand Island were once wide open for non-plated vehicles like home made dune buggies, wind sail buggies and motorcycles. My brother had a Harley flat tracker we'd take to the beach and ride an old "pass" where the sand was dry but good, and packed. Now if you don't have a beach permit sticker on vehicle you have to be careful where you park. To be honest now that I'm older and a little smarter, I wouldn't take any of my bikes on the beach due to how corrosive the sand and salt is. There's still a few dirt and caliche roads just south of CC. Before I retired I'd ride one of my dual sport bikes out there early on Sunday mornings (my only day off) to "clear my mind" and return to the "Zen" of my being. These are county roads and require vehicles to be plated, unless your driving a farm tractor.

DDMX is really closer to Agua Dulce than Robstown and is now the only MX track within 90 miles or more of CC. Gene is a really good dude and allowed us to ride during the week when I had a vacation day or two. I'll post a pic of my youngest ripping a DD.

I belong to a dirt bike club out of SA and they have about 500 acres with over 40 miles of marked and unmarked trails. What I really like is that it's for bikes only, no ATV's except for work days. I also get to ride my dirt bike when I go visit my oldest son just north of the Dallas/Ft Worth area.

Enjoy that XR250R!

My youngest at DDMX
Dalton DDM X.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JMZ
We have a couple of guys that come up from Corpus and ride single track at Zars, which is the area David is speaking of

Shoot me a PM or whatever we call it now on the forum sometime and myself or one of the members will sponsor you on for a guest day ride

Walt .... get that Xr plated and then you can ride the beach-quitely. Be sure and leave that stock muffler in place. Great bikes!

Reactions: JMZ
Back