• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Covid-19 and m/c get-togethers question?

Yeeha! Stephen

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Noticed some of the get togethers are still on. The cross-town local club is canceling everything. Our local club is debating whether or not to cancel.

If we/you or me/myself and I continue on with our rides, are we risking scorn from frightened public that's sheltering in place? Even though we are truly practicing social distancing, hasn't it gone past that and anyone not complying with a stay-at-home request risks being viewed as a black sheep? Are we reintroducing a hate for motorcycles?

Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins has asked people to call the police on their neighbors if they think they are gathering with too many people and he's threatening fines and jail time.

Am I one of the Nazi's that's going to get Marshal Law declared?

Restaurants are closing their dining rooms so I wanted to start some brown bag social-distancing rides for the club but I'm getting some backlash.

SS

Marshal law has been declared. They just use different terminology. Personally I go on few group rides and it is probably not a good time to start. Everyone take a break. Things will be back to kinda normal before long. This will change the world system but it will go on.

I say go for it and don't worry about it for now.

Yeah that fines and jail time for peaceable assembly kinda goes against the first amendment and that's been on my mind a lot here lately.

It appears that most everything has been cancelled. Any RTE's are hurt because the eating place might be closed for dining in. Riding is still fine, just not socializing before or after the ride. And the local weather is working hard to keep up off the streets.

722ABE92-A251-41CE-985D-395D7C3443F9.jpeg

Hey now... I practiced social distancing on my ride on the 8th...

Yeah that fines and jail time for peaceable assembly kinda goes against the first amendment and that's been on my mind a lot here lately.
Line has probably been crossed.
Yep. Line crossed for sure. Much of what is being ordered is unconstitutional, even if it is a good idea. This country is having a serious crisis with abiding by the Constitution. Scary stuff. Way more scary than some virus.

Last edited:
This country is having a serious crisis with abiding by the Constitution.

That crisis started almost before the ink was dry on the signatures... It has occurred numerous times since, always ending in further erosion of the original intent. This is just another nail in its coffin. Will it be the last...? Perhaps not. As it is now, the Constitution gets a lot of lip service, but that is about it. We have right until the government decides it is more important for us to not have rights. Then, unless we are literally willing to fight for those rights, as in actual resistance and not just letter writing and wringing our hands, we lose them. The people in power understand that gradual erosion doesn't alarm people enough to get them to the point of being willing to risk everything to resist and that when the people finally do "wake up", it is often too late. We are in the too late stage where I doubt it will ever get any better short of some kind of actual rebellion/revolution. And even that is likely to be ineffective given that the people in power are smart enough to put things in place to just come in behind any revolution and co-opt it to start things over again.

Is it any different than "loose lips sinks ships" and blackout orders during bombing raids? Free speech maybe an unalienable right, but we still have to watch what we say if it affects national security. If lights and movements could get bombs dropped on your block, is it not prudent for the city government to issue curfews and blackout orders?

If you live in the little house on the prairie all by your lonesome with no other souls within a 50 mile radius, then sure exercise your constitutional rights and let the enemy target practice on your shack... or let virus invade your lungs.

Anybody willingly live in close proximity to a community of other citizens has signed the Social Contract, whether they believe it or not. That Social Contract is a binding agreement on your part not to knowingly endanger others in the community. You don't have to sign any Social Contract you don't want to. You can go Ted Kaczinski and live out in the woods, if you so choose.

We all gotta get comm systems now
About 15+ years ago, a young man I worked with talked about how his family gathered and everyone brought their computer with them so they could set up at the dinner table together and socialize. Now here we are.

We're overdue... long overdue. I'm not sure today's people have the balls to actually do it, however.

That is why I think we need a civil war now, we can take care of all of this, but as you stated not enough people have the wherewithal to do what it would take.

There are fine lines between the continuum of Authoritarianism -> Constitutional Freedom -> Anarchy. While watching our government cross the line to take away our constitutional freedoms without reasonable justification is cause for rebellion, there are lines I prefer our government to cross to prevent absolute chaos and anarchy. After all, isn't that government? Given the panic I have witness in recent days, I wonder if the masses can reasonably govern themselves?

Kinda wandered off topic I guess???

Last edited:
There are fine lines between the continuum of Authoritarianism -> Constitutional Freedom -> Anarchy. While watching our government cross the line to take away our constitutional freedoms without reasonable justification is cause for rebellion, there are lines I prefer our government to cross to prevent absolute chaos and anarchy. After all, isn't that government? Given the panic I have witness in recent days, I wonder if the masses can reasonably govern themselves?

Kinda wandered off topic I guess???
If the media would go back to being actual news (as in "just the facts, ma'am") instead of fanning the flames of panic we'd be in a better place.

Honestly...I don't get it.

China had the worst outbreak and had it running free amongst over a billion people for a month before they went to drastic measures and less than 200K people got it and something like 8K or less deaths worldwide at this point.

Italy was hit really bad and something like 80K people got it and less than 2K deaths so far.
These are the "bad - worst case" examples...

Something that kills 10K people isn't good...but these numbers are really no worse than a bad flu year.

This is Covid 19, there were 18 Covid strains before it. Yes, I know we don't have a Covid shot to give people and no Tamiflu equivalent for treatment but we didn't have that for the flu a decade ago either and we didn't shut the world down for it.

I totally get the flattening the curve argument but that assumes the curve would become really large and the virus would infect a large percentage of the population if not controlled by social distancing. What I see in China and Italy seems to suggest that it might grow to a half of a percent (0.5%) of the population.....and then be lethal for 2% of the half percent, so something like 0.01%

I other words...it might kill 15K in the US at worst case and maybe only 5K if we do social distancing.

The flu killed over 15K last year and we didn't blink. Why are we so worried about this particular 15K of potential illness related deaths.

Anyway....I'm just not seeing this massive curve of illness that we need to flatten out. Does anyone actually personally know a single person with Covid?

Side note....all reports about the flu season seem to be missing. My bet is that there are 10x the number of people currently infected and in need of treatment with the flu than with Covid 19 and that the flu deaths in the last 3 weeks are many times more than Covid 19 deaths.

Back to the topic....I'm going riding. I'll keep away from people and head to the woods.

Last edited:
I hope you are right, but I don't share your optimism. We can check back in a week or two and see.

1584649891599.png

It is shocking to me that Italy has more deaths, but I heard these facts. Italy has the oldest population in Europe and 2nd oldest in the world. The average age of the dead in Italy is 81. I'm social distancing, but I agree with you Dave. I'll try to find the video that discusses Italy versus the US.

Back