• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Covid distanced camping south west of Austin

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Baker
Anyone have a recommendation of a sufficiently dispersed, low human population camping location 200-300 miles out of Austin for moto camping a week from now? We will have only 3-4 bikes, but want to really take distancing seriously. Ride a day out, do a day ride and then next day ride back. thx

Anyone have a recommendation of a sufficiently dispersed, low human population camping location 200-300 miles out of Austin for moto camping a week from now? We will have only 3-4 bikes, but want to really take distancing seriously. Ride a day out, do a day ride and then next day ride back. thx
Bearfoot Camp and RV park just southwest of Lampases.
Oxford Ranch Campground between Llano and Fredericksburg.

National forest campgrounds are generally open year around in Texas, and shouldn't be crowded this time of year. A place I really like is Ratcliff Lake in Sam Houston NF.

National forest campgrounds are generally open year around in Texas, and shouldn't be crowded this time of year. A place I really like is Ratcliff Lake in Sam Houston NF.
Ratcliff Lake is Davy Crockett NF not Sam Houston

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Maybe not as far out but definitely distanced (abundance of empty well-spaced sites) is Kerrville-Schreiner Park. I prefer it because of the 3 sisters nearby but really a good base for drive by access to Lost Maples area as well as Junction.

Maybe not as far out but definitely distanced (abundance of empty well-spaced sites) is Kerrville-Schreiner Park. I prefer it because of the 3 sisters nearby but really a good base for drive by access to Lost Maples area as well as Junction.
I have a soft spot for that park. We've camped their a number of times. Access to lots of good stuff around.

I'll be headed for Garner State Park in a couple of weeks (hopefully). Usually very empty midweek this time of year, but this year has been pretty weird. Down in the Pecan grove area you can get a spot out in the middle and see a ton of stars,

I'll be headed for Garner State Park in a couple of weeks (hopefully). Usually very empty midweek this time of year, but this year has been pretty weird. Down in the Pecan grove area you can get a spot out in the middle and see a ton of stars,
Let me know if you want someone to ride with. I've got vacation days to burn.

Back