• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Craigslist/Facebook

Xr250 Awesome bike for the woods, BIg Bend or quietly cruising the neighborhood (please don’t mess it up with a loud exhaust.).

You want a nice one you will have to cough up $3k

Oh you want to spend less ... well we have the budget version right here $2,200 - runs flawless🤔 —- looks 😟

I would like to hear his reasoning for selling it (and wanting a Vstrom).

-CJB
I've seen this happen a lot. People trading in or selling 790 Adventures pretty quickly to get something more enjoyable on the street. Especially the S model. They were sort of marketed as the best thing since sliced bread and a lot of people jumped on them only find they weren't that great for certain situations.

The 790 Adventure bikes aren't that much fun to ride on the pavement, especially longer pavement miles. Lots of fun once you get to the dirt though. For people that like to take bigger bikes into tougher dirt rides, they make sense. But just for a mostly street going ADV bike, there are much better choices, imo. The motors are kind of rough running and also put off a lot of heat for a lower displacement motor. I certainly wouldn't want to ride one in the summer in Texas.

I'd wager if you asked him (after the sale) that these things factored into the decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Xr250 Awesome bike for the woods, BIg Bend or quietly cruising the neighborhood (please don’t mess it up with a loud exhaust.).

You want a nice one you will have to cough up $3k
Is it me or does $3500 seem really high for a XR250? I've haven't really been watching the market and just started to realize I might have a hankering for a small displacement dual sport run-about. I like the XRs but thought is I spent $3k on an XR it would be a 650R. not 250R. Am I off base here?

I think along the same lines; but there are people out there that don't want a big displacement bike and that's the audience he's targeting. That said, it does seem a little high. Maybe it's so he'd have some wiggle room for negotiating.

Is it me or does $3500 seem really high for a XR250? I've haven't really been watching the market and just started to realize I might have a hankering for a small displacement dual sport run-about. I like the XRs but thought is I spent $3k on an XR it would be a 650R. not 250R. Am I off base here?
The value comes from the fact that there is not another bike that competes with the last generation XR250. Come and ride the woods on a 650. I have done it😓. The xr400 is ok, but the Drz400 rules that class. 250cc shim and bucket designs don’t have long lives (usually) IMO.

Probably on the higher $ end of any you'll see come up for sale. The XRs have a strong following still. I've got a 99' 250 on the lift now, trying to decide what all I want to do with it. Selling it is not on my mind at the moment. They are definitely getting fewer and further between. Simple maintenance, including simple valve adjustments, fresh oil, gas and ride.

I would like to hear his reasoning for selling it (and wanting a Vstrom).

-CJB
Probably decided it wasn't street oriented enough for his needs.

They aren't for everyone.

I love mine and have done 5 or 6 long days in the 550 to 750 mile range.

Even so, I recognize there are better bikes for street riding with light off road.

Ps..add is down now. Sold it pretty quickly I guess.

Last edited:
Back