• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Crash Hard Enduro - aka Poser being bad at dirtbikes

poser

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Last Name
bohac
Hey y’all, I thought I’d share my YouTube channel here.
A little back story, I rode street for several years back in Texas, but a crash in 2011 ended that, though I kept riding dirt bikes for a few more years. Life got in the way, and I sold my dirt bike in 2014, and that was the start of a 6 year drought. In the mean time, I moved to Colorado, and after being here a while really got the itch for another dirt bike.
In 2020 I managed to pick up and rebuild a yz250, which I sold to fund my current KTM 300.
2020 as we all know was a cluster mess, and for me work got crazy busy. Almost burning out in my job I decided to prioritize my mental health and ride dirt bikes more LOL.
Also wanting something to do besides work, I started filming rides and making videos, and that’s when what is now called Crash Hard Enduro was born.

It’s mostly me being bad at riding dirt bikes in Colorado, with a few install / how to type videos.

I’m stoked where it’s going and having a lot of fun. Also it looks I’ll be getting back into street riding again soon, and I’m super stoked for that.

Anyway, hope you enjoy. Feel free to laugh at my misfortunes and tell me how I can do it better.

With such wonderful trails in CO I dont know why you would do that trail. Looked like no fun and a good way to break man and machine. We do hard stuff here in Austin because that is what we have. If I was in CO I would ride easy stuff with those glorious vistas.
Stay safe and enjoy.

With such wonderful trails in CO I dont know why you would do that trail. Looked like no fun and a good way to break man and machine. We do hard stuff here in Austin because that is what we have. If I was in CO I would ride easy stuff with those glorious vistas.
Stay safe and enjoy.
We rode both the hard stuff and the stuff the views. Since it’s winter, all the mountain single track is snowed in and riding areas are limited. That area is just outside of Penrose Colorado, and it’s pretty much desert. Also, I’ve gotten to where I really enjoy the hard stuff.

Here’s a hard one with views:

this is a joke

“dude, how long you been in Colo and you still panting like a lowlander?”

I keed I keed!

enjoyed the vids. Good luck with the YouTube channel

Stay safe and enjoy.
How is this valuable to the discussion. 🤦‍♂️

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd be following you down that trail....LOL That looks like Colorado's own 5 Miles of **** in some parts of it. :)

That's really cool though, that even in the winter you still have a few places to get out and ride.

I spent an entire week riding Sargent/Tomichi creek...didn't even scratch the surface. That area is a rare gem. That chunky draw...eh, looks more like Cody Webb territory.

this is a joke

“dude, how long you been in Colo and you still panting like a lowlander?”

I keed I keed!

enjoyed the vids. Good luck with the YouTube channel
LOL that second video starts several hours into an all day ride, that went above 12,000’. Everyone huffs and puffs above tree line 😂

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd be following you down that trail....LOL That looks like Colorado's own 5 Miles of **** in some parts of it. :)

That's really cool though, that even in the winter you still have a few places to get out and ride.
I call that trail 1 mile of heck LOL
And it’s great to be able to ride all year. I’m not a track rat, so I’m glad to have that area.

I spent an entire week riding Sargent/Tomichi creek...didn't even scratch the surface. That area is a rare gem. That chunky draw...eh, looks more like Cody Webb territory.
That’s such an amazing area. Believe it or not, I’ve only ridden that area once. We met at the trading post and went up a trail called Quakey Mtn, and then up horseshoe. Horseshoe was gnarly (part of horseshoe video in post above).

That day ended up being more of an adventure than we expected. We had a rider join our group that no one really knew. Only one rider knew him, but not well. He was told, it was going to be a really long day woth gnarly trails. Well, he overestimated his ability and showed up very unprepared. A little ways into the trail he says, “I didn’t even know trails like this existed”, and we kinda knew we were in trouble at that point.
A 5 mile trail (horseshoe) that should have taken us 2 hours, took 7 or 8. This guy mentally collapsed. Every time he’d get to a hard spot, which was basically the whole trail, he’d stop and let himself get sketched out, complain a little, get past the hard spot, and then stop and rest. Put that on replete all day and it makes for a VERY long day.
He didn’t have hardly any food with him and not near enough water. One of the million stops we made, he mentioned he was almost out of water, and this was early in the day. As it turned out he had a 3/4 liter bladder in his riding pack, and 2 small water bottles. For reference I ride with a 3 liter bladder. Luckily I had brought me backcountry water filter and was able to refill his water a few times before we got to tree line. It was a mess, and we learned an important lesson. For long gnarly days, know all the riders in your group, and be comfortable with their skill level.

i am loving your vids!! That's the kinda gnarly stuff I dream of. So kudos to you and your homies for tackling those extreme trails.
down here in austin, we have a 6 mile loop inside city limits that has a couple difficult sections similar to what you guys ride, but it's short, and the rest is cake. I know from riding in CO that , when the going gets real tough, the tough keeps going for quite a while. So you (& bike) have to be in tip top shape. Most of my memorable & difficult single track riding up in CO is in Taylor Park doing the timberline trail, Star Trail going uphill toward Italian Mountain, some trails called block or tackle, a couple of trails called gulch (shoulda been called GULP)....all day rides w/ local CO guys where we'd camp nearby those trail heads and spend the entire day riding and eating trail mix. 11 months out of the yr, I ride local. But come Aug/Sep, taylor park was where i went to put all that I learned to the test....my final exam.

Thereafter, I hooked up w/ a group of old school retired, or about to retire, enduro racers around austin, and we spent several summers riding the Alpine loops of ouray, telluride, silverton triangle doing Black bear, imogene pass, corkscrew, engineer's, poughkeepsie, and thunder trails out in norwood.

the last time I rode CO, we spent 5 days camped at the Tomichi trading post, and rode d/s stuff out of Sargents towards Taylor Park Reservoir, some sections of the Rainbow trail, and a day riding Hartman Rocks. THat Hartman Rocks checks all my fun boxes, fast & flowing high desert trails, with plenty of easy to moderate climbs and drops, and the views are simply AMAZING!!

Thanks for posting up the vids. I need to pencil in CO again.
Next time I go to CO , though, I want to ride a dirtbike ---- with a timbersled kit on it.:dude:

That’s such an amazing area. Believe it or not, I’ve only ridden that area once. We met at the trading post and went up a trail called Quakey Mtn, and then up horseshoe. Horseshoe was gnarly (part of horseshoe video in post above).

That day ended up being more of an adventure than we expected. We had a rider join our group that no one really knew. Only one rider knew him, but not well. He was told, it was going to be a really long day woth gnarly trails. Well, he overestimated his ability and showed up very unprepared. A little ways into the trail he says, “I didn’t even know trails like this existed”, and we kinda knew we were in trouble at that point.
A 5 mile trail (horseshoe) that should have taken us 2 hours, took 7 or 8. This guy mentally collapsed. Every time he’d get to a hard spot, which was basically the whole trail, he’d stop and let himself get sketched out, complain a little, get past the hard spot, and then stop and rest. Put that on replete all day and it makes for a VERY long day.
He didn’t have hardly any food with him and not near enough water. One of the million stops we made, he mentioned he was almost out of water, and this was early in the day. As it turned out he had a 3/4 liter bladder in his riding pack, and 2 small water bottles. For reference I ride with a 3 liter bladder. Luckily I had brought me backcountry water filter and was able to refill his water a few times before we got to tree line. It was a mess, and we learned an important lesson. For long gnarly days, know all the riders in your group, and be comfortable with their skill level.
Oh...yes. Speaks well of your crew for not just leaving his scuffy butt on the mountain. I had a very similar ordeal on the bear creek trail near Priest Gulch below Rico. Man... that kind of *stuff* makes for a really long day. It's a heckuva life saving rescue story that fits well with sitting around a warm campfire. Do not wish to repeat the experience.

Alright, so y'all that have had FAR more experience in Colorado than I ever had, give me some riding areas to go to. I've got a non-plated KTM and the Wife has an also non-plated KLX140 that is a little mountain goat of a dirt bike.

We would need it to be somewhere where we can get our toy hauler into since we would be bringing our dogs and such with us. As for terrain.... I guess I'm a sissy compared to Jason as I probably would shy away from nasty rock garden stuff and would go more towards a little easier trails with hopefully pretty good views.

Can't wait to pop my cherry up there with the 300 when the snows melt ! Need to get some more hours in with Vinny down here in the flat lands.

I'm watching a few videos, and I was wondering if you could possibly take a minute to let us know why they call them the "Rocky" mountains? :D

Alright, so y'all that have had FAR more experience in Colorado than I ever had, give me some riding areas to go to. I've got a non-plated KTM and the Wife has an also non-plated KLX140 that is a little mountain goat of a dirt bike.

We would need it to be somewhere where we can get our toy hauler into since we would be bringing our dogs and such with us. As for terrain.... I guess I'm a sissy compared to Jason as I probably would shy away from nasty rock garden stuff and would go more towards a little easier trails with hopefully pretty good views.
Non plated sorta makes a difference. Most towns in the mountains don't give a hoot but go gently. As for riding...man, where to begin. It's all good. I pull a toy hauler so yeah, access matters. If you're setup for boondocking then your options could fill a lifetime. Close to Texas and entirely rideable...to get acclimated is Texas Creek. Cost $0.00. You can spend 2-3 days there and ride new stuff the whole time. Some technical but mostly good for mere mortals. Like it and ready for more? Move up to Salida and hit the Rainbow trail, Monarch Crest trail...and many others. BLM camping south of Poncha Springs. Cost $0.00. Ready for the real deal? Go over Monarch Pass to Sargents. Ride till you freakin drop. More technical and we're bordering on stuff for folks who look to romp and stomp. Feeling like a way cool change of scenery? Head over to Gunnison to Hartman Rocks. Go in the back door past the rock quarry and be ready to be amazed. Camping cost $0.00. Now...need to check some of the better known classics off your list? Head back into Gunny and hang a left...follow the Taylor river north for Taylor Park. There's stuff for everybody there. Gentle sightseeing to ruff tuff and real stuff. That oughta bout whet yo whistle. And we've only just begun. :trust:

Last edited:
Oh...yes. Speaks well of your crew for not just leaving his scuffy butt on the mountain. I had a very similar ordeal on the bear creek trail near Priest Gulch below Rico. Man... that kind of *stuff* makes for a really long day. It's a heckuva life saving rescue story that fits well with sitting around a warm campfire. Do not wish to repeat the experience.
At some point he asked, “what happens if I can’t make it?”
I looked at him and said, “that’s not an option. We either finish or turn back. Out here you are your own rescue. You gotta get that thought out of your head.” It was almost dark by the time we got back to the trucks.

It kind of depends on if you want a lot of single track or if you’re ok with mostly double track.

Taylor park is amazing. Plenty of space for big campers, and easy to get to. Just go to BV and take cottonwood pass over and you’re there.
It’s a popular area. So be ready for crowds on the weekends in the summer. The summer riding season is kind short there, since it’s usually mid to late June Before all the snow is melted. Fall out there is beautiful.
I’m not super familiar with the area, as I’ve only ridden it once, but it’s beautiful and there are tons of trails.

If you want to be on the Front Range, the forest north of Divide (west of Colorado Springs about an hour) has plenty of camping and trails, though no “legal” single track is on the map, there’s a bit out there.

If you want to camp earlier in the season, Texas Creek ain’t too bad. It’s pretty Rocky, and kind of reminds me of the Texas hill country.

4 mile red area near BV is nice for early season too.

Download the COTREX app, and you can see where the trails are. For camping, just find some trails you want to ride, and pick a flat spot. You see spots that have been camped in, so it’s easy to find something.

Awesome videos Jason. I have meet riders who moved to more extreme rock rocking …. getting a trails bike really helped them …. Just a tough. Keep the videos coming.

Awesome videos Jason. I have meet riders who moved to more extreme rock rocking …. getting a trails bike really helped them …. Just a tough. Keep the videos coming.
Oh I definitely have the trials bike bug. Problem is the budget can’t scratch it LOL
4 or 5 guys in my riding group have them now. Hopefully I’ll be able to pick one up in the future.

Back