• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

CRF 230 won’t start

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2009 CRF 230 L . The previous owner I think I had it sitting for a while so I took the carburetor apart and cleaned it, change the spark plug, Oil, clean the air filter. I put a little bit of Cfoam in the tank. I started itb up and rode it around for about five minutes and then it started choking on me and then eventually stalled. Now I can’t start it. In result I think I even drain the battery.

I tried putting the old spark plug back in but that made no difference. I am pretty sure I put the carburetor back together properly. So I’m thinking of taking the carburetor apart again and re-cleaning it perhaps when I poured some of that stuff in the tank maybe perhaps it pushed some deposits through and clog the Jets. what do you all think? It was running pretty good not great but it never stalled out like this where I couldn’t start it.

I would guess the following: The gas in the tank is bad. If it is a metal tank, it may be rusty, if not it could be varnish from the bad fuel. The sea foam seems to be moving stuff around.

First I would see if I get any flow out of the petcock. Then if I do, I would flush it out and clean the tank as well as I could. You could rig an aux tank and put gas to the carb and see if she runs ok. And of course I would tear down the carb again. Install a fuel filter after you go through the tank. Make sure you pull out the petcock and clean the screens as well. Just good old hard work should fix her right up.

Yeah thanks.yes im going to do a complete flush out and carb tear down.I don’t detect any rust but it could be micro. I do smell a hint of that old gas varnished scent though. I’ll check and clean petcock as well. Thanks

I would guess the following: The gas in the tank is bad. If it is a metal tank, it may be rusty, if not it could be varnish from the bad fuel. The sea foam seems to be moving stuff around.

First I would see if I get any flow out of the petcock. Then if I do, I would flush it out and clean the tank as well as I could. You could rig an aux tank and put gas to the carb and see if she runs ok. And of course I would tear down the carb again. Install a fuel filter after you go through the tank. Make sure you pull out the petcock and clean the screens as well. Just good old hard work should fix her right up.
I took the carb apart and cleaned it, drained the tank, took the petcock apart and cleaned that as well, put it all back together, added ethanol free gas, charged the battery, started right up and got to enjoy an hour of sunny warm riding!!
I’ll add a fuel filter soon. Thanks!!

Back