• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Crf 230l carb problems

Reaction score
I have an 09 CRF 230 L that i just purchased recently. I think it sat for a little while so I took the carburetor apart and cleaned it out and flushed all the gas out of the tank. I put a new carburetor gasket and a float valve on. I put the carb back together and installed it on the bike then I turned the fuel on from the gas tank and now there is gas pouring out of the hose that comes down from the carb from the bottom of the bike. I thought it might’ve been the drain screw gasket so I change that out and it still does it. I checked all my hoses everything seems to be tight. What did I do? Did I not put the carburetor back together properly? It seems to only go back one way. I don’t know what I would’ve done wrong. The carburetor wasn’t too dirty. I don’t understand why it’s filling up with gas and then pouring out of the drain hose from the bottom of the bike.
Does anybody have any ideas what is going on? Thanks

Could be
As simple as a piece of trash caught between the needle tip in the seat
The needle tip is old and hardened and no longer sealing
Float adjusted to high or otherwise sticking
Are you sure gas is coming out the hose and not just dripping down the carb body from something higher?

Perhaps the needle tip. I cleaned it real well. How do i know about the float to high or sticking?
im pretty sure gas is coming out of that hose.
I guess i will take it apart again and learn how to adjust the float. Thanks.

Perhaps the needle tip. I cleaned it real well. How do i know about the float to high or sticking?
im pretty sure gas is coming out of that hose.
I guess i will take it apart again and learn how to adjust the float. Thanks.
My guess it is the float adjustment. I really can understand how to adjust those.

When you adjust the float level, all you are doing is setting the height of the fuel in the carburetor bowl. Too much and it gets to rich, over flows, gets in the motor, etc. Too low and it may not run. You want the tab on the float to be set so the float closes the needle when the level is right.

You can measure the float height with a float gauge or a ruler, you can put a hose on the bowl drain and check it that way. Here is a Link to a thumpertalk thread discussing a CRF230L float setting.

Try this link where you get a very detailed description, hope this helps you.

When you adjust the float level, all you are doing is setting the height of the fuel in the carburetor bowl. Too much and it gets to rich, over flows, gets in the motor, etc. Too low and it may not run. You want the tab on the float to be set so the float closes the needle when the level is right.

You can measure the float height with a float gauge or a ruler, you can put a hose on the bowl drain and check it that way. Here is a Link to a thumpertalk thread discussing a CRF230L float setting.

Try this link where you get a very detailed description, hope this helps you.
Thanks, i sort of get it but not. It makes my head hurt. Im just going to pull the carb and take it to a shop and ask them to check it out. I will ask for a tutorial as well if they are into it..
Im anxious to get out and ride.

This video shows steps for a crf230L carb rebuild.

In that vid, if you go to the 4.57 sec. mark, the guy picks up a small bullet shaped part (w/ a black rubber cone end)_ off of the table , and puts it on the clean sheet of paper.

that part is what shuts the fuel off from overflowing out of the carburetor as the float rises up.

Just a hunch, but perhaps this part is missing? or maybe it fell off of the float during install?

This video shows steps for a crf230L carb rebuild.

In that vid, if you go to the 4.57 sec. mark, the guy picks up a small bullet shaped part (w/ a black rubber cone end)_ off of the table , and puts it on the clean sheet of paper.

that part is what shuts the fuel off from overflowing out of the carburetor as the float rises up.

Just a hunch, but perhaps this part is missing? or maybe it fell off of the float during install?
That’s the float valve needle. Its there for sure. Brand new one that I installed. Im thinking that I disrupted the float adjustment by taking it apart. I don’t know.

Ok, that's good to know that the part exists..

So, perhaps that rubber tip is out of position and NOT closing the hole completely, and thus, it just needs an adjustment to pop that tip closer to the fuel inlet hole.

AND/OR.....the rubber tip is AOK, it's closing the hole when the float moves up to full level, BUT
could there be something else on the inside of the hole , crud, a piece of rubber that broke off the inlet hose, that's jamming up the rubber tip from completely sealing / closing off as the fuel flows into the carb?

Nevertheless, that plunger is the primary part that is causing the fuel to overflow out of the vent tube. The good news is, your bike is carbureted. It CAN be fixed w/ simple tools !

Ok, that's good to know that the part exists..

So, perhaps that rubber tip is out of position and NOT closing the hole completely, and thus, it just needs an adjustment to pop that tip closer to the fuel inlet hole.

AND/OR.....the rubber tip is AOK, it's closing the hole when the float moves up to full level, BUT
could there be something else on the inside of the hole , crud, a piece of rubber that broke off the inlet hose, that's jamming up the rubber tip from completely sealing / closing off as the fuel flows into the carb?

Nevertheless, that plunger is the primary part that is causing the fueloverflowing out of the vent tube.
Yeah something like that. I will try for the fourth time in a bit. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks

When I was still rebuilding carbs (FI now), I remember I had to turn them upside down, and use a ruler to adjust the height. instructions were in the manual for where to measure and what the measurement was. It's not a guessing game - there's a measurement. Just have to figure out what it is.

Apparently the type of float / carb i have doesn’t adjust. I check everything out. Now im going to check for a clogged hose.

Usually you just bend the metal that holds the needle to set the float at the correct height. I have found that if you hold the carb upside down and the floats are level with the bowl mating surface, all is good (or really close). If your floats are saturated (do not float) settings will not matter. If they are too heavy, they sink and allow fuel to keep flowing into the bowl and then overflow thru the vent. I the old days, floats were metal and would fill with fuel when bad. Yours are probably foam, I could see them coated in shellac from old evaporated fuel and being too heavy to float. A small jar of gasoline will give you a clue to their buoyancy.

That doc lays it out almost like my old manual. Main difference is the measurement. Manual even tells you to bend the tab, with a picture to assist.

I used a small screwdriver to twist between the tab and the rest of the float to set the floats. #4 from that doc is important:

1. The wire bail lowers the float valve towards the seat
  2. The valve stops moving: it is now seated
  3. The float arm lip keeps moving a tiny bit
  4. The float arm lip touches the spring loaded part of the valve
  5. The float arm lip compresses the spring loaded part of the valve
It's exactly what the manual said to do. (almost) Nothing else matters if the float level is wrong - it will never run right until that's sorted.

Usually you just bend the metal that holds the needle to set the float at the correct height. I have found that if you hold the carb upside down and the floats are level with the bowl mating surface, all is good (or really close). If your floats are saturated (do not float) settings will not matter. If they are too heavy, they sink and allow fuel to keep flowing into the bowl and then overflow thru the vent. I the old days, floats were metal and would fill with fuel when bad. Yours are probably foam, I could see them coated in shellac from old evaporated fuel and being too heavy to float. A small jar of gasoline will give you a clue to their buoyancy.
Thanks for your input. This particular carb has it where the floats are factory set with no metal tab.
I have completely cleaned the carb and stuck it back on the bike. She’s running real good now!!
Thanks!!

Back