• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Crf 250r. Anyone have any experience with one

Reaction score
I'm without a bike at the moment and I ride 90 on dirt and the 20 back roads. I found a clean crf250 for cheap and was wanting to no how reliable it would be on short dual sport trips.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think he means he rides 110% everywhere ...

Want another XR650L?
I have one I can let go cheap ...

What year crf250? R, X or L? it makes a big difference. If it is a crf250r or x It will require oil changes and valve checks/adjustments every 600 miles. If it's a crf250l it will be reliable, just anaemic compared to a 250r/x

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Wrong tool for the DS job. Very wrong.

Depends on which one. A CRF250X with a larger tank can easily be made street legal and work well for DS rides that are more technical and more dirt.

It couldn't cross over into the ADV world very well and 50 mile of pavement would probably be too much pavement...but a 200 mile day of 90% dirt could be a lot of fun on a CRF250X.

Now, I would agree that a motocross CRF250R would probably be a bit too high spirited for DS riding and the wrong tool.

And of course....both the X or the R require more maintenance than something designed for DS riding and less performance.

Another option is the CRF250L.... but those aren't usually cheap since they are fairly new....so I assume he wasn't talking about one of those.

Thanks for the info. It was the 250r I was talking about.

Just saw that the title says R.
But what year?
Maintenance will still be high

Rule #62.
Don't take yourself so **** serious.

I know the maintenance will be high, but I want something to ride on dirt for now. Just didn't know if it would work on pavement. If 50 miles is too far on pavement, it probably won't work

Not really, but what's cheap?

Cheaper than the tornado bike which would up on the back of an RV touring the country.
:rofl: :chug: :flip:

Conversation started ...

09 still was carbureted, but that's not a big deal. Honda says oil and valves every 15 hours for that bike. So about 600-900 miles depending on riding habits. For mostly dirt with some back road riding it should do a good job, find out how many hours it has and if it ever had the bottom end rebuilt. If it's got hundreds of hours on the stock bottom end and was ridden as a motocross bike, it will need a rebuild sooner than later to remain reliable. If it was ridden as a trail bike it will need it further down the line

Rule #62.

I know the maintenance will be high, but I want something to ride on dirt for now. Just didn't know if it would work on pavement. If 50 miles is too far on pavement, it probably won't work

50 mile trips at 70 mph should not hurt a thing.

Rule #62.

[emoji15] [emoji15] [emoji15]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
7b9b7ec8fa600928e42bed4938eb8d84.jpg
6cd7163ccd522d70df747e92eb9e28b5.jpg

Rule #62.

So now I'm a little confused. I went and looked at the bike, its electric start only and the suspension is very soft. I got the vin number. I'll see what the vin shows, but I don't think it's a 250r. Which may be a good thind

So now I'm a little confused. I went and looked at the bike, its electric start only and the suspension is very soft. I got the vin number. I'll see what the vin shows, but I don't think it's a 250r. Which may be a good thind

Did it look like this?
This is a 2009 crf230l.
Which is e start only and would have soft suspension.
1725ae3bbd0ce7477d893bfd11b15954.jpg

A crf250x wouldn't be super soft and they came with a kick starter.

782593cc7bffa6df097af33611061713.jpg

Vin says it's a 2006 crf230f

Maintenance and reliability will be alot better. You can stiffen up the suspension. But it is a dual sport bike. Not a dirt bike.

Rule #62.

The rear frame has been cut off on both sides. They are asking 1100 and it runs ok
0f35173c98ed2fb5783fc53cec1a1bb2.jpg

I would be cautious about it. It's cheap, but why was it cut and welded? How many hours does it have?
It's cheap for a reason

Rule #62.

Back