• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Crimped hoses and lines- any shade tree tricks to tighten?

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
I know I can cut the crimp off and use a worm-drive clamp but I wanted to see if any of you ingenious tinkerers have a way to tighten a crimp without a crimping tool.

None from me. I’ve always cut them off and installed regular hose clamps.

Reactions: Vec
What type of crimp connection? What type of service is the line in?

Loose brake line - get rid of it

fuel / oil / other line - may try something like below, although if loose over time I suspect underlying hose material may have deteriorated. You need to balance risk of hose failure vs cost of proper repair. For a critial hose or one in a critical area, a medical deductible + pain/suffering usually bests most hose replacement costs
1630846300890.png
For fuel / oil lines personally prefer this
1630846382128.png

What type of crimp connection? What type of service is the line in?
Non-critical, peripheral air hose. Looks like a brass crimp on it. Not pressurized continuously.
I prefer not to have a 'bulky' hose clamp on it but it seems other than spending $150 for a crimping tool the 30 cent solution is about it.
That's why I was inquiring for any other shade tree solutions.

I have a very good selection of small Oetiker Clamps that if you came by I could probably get you set up.

I am up in the north east part of Texas, Longview are.

Kevin, appreciate the offer.
Oetiker clamps are a pretty good alternative; lower profile than a worm clamp.
Longview is a bit far for something so trivial. But I may invest in a tool and small supply of clamps in the future. Seems like it would be very handy to have on hand.
thanks!

I have a pair of regular "end knippers" made by channel lock that I've used to tighten crimp clamps. They work just fine. I placed a red shop rag over the crimp part of the clamp so the jaws of the end knippers would be less likely to cut the clamp. You might want to practice on one or two clamps. Tighten the clamp ONLY enough to get the job done. You will not cut the clamp if you don't over tighten. I used the end knippers out of desperation and it happened to work very well. I would only use the appropriate tool on any pressurized line, fuel line or brake line.

Back