• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Critique: Get well soon

Tracker

post tenebras lux
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
TITLE: Get Well Soon
Lucky is the the person who's friends take time to send a get well card.

I'd like feed back on concept, comp, exposure, artistry and which, if any you like more than the other.
Thanks.

783946272_3dScT-L.jpg

783946078_J4GXa-L.jpg

783946137_LAkRB-L.jpg

Last edited:
I think it needs a little more depth of field. It's hard to tell what the subject is without the title of the thread and the text.

First, I like the color one most of all. I'd try for a little more depth of field and focus on the middle card. Maybe try to get 1 on either side in focus. It might give a neat fade in and out effect.

Color for me as well. The wood earth tones just have a calming effect. More DOF and possibly tighter crop to make the first card easier to read to give it context.

I'm glad to see you're still at it.... :photo:

Another vote for the color one.

I like the depth of field, but suggest a tighter crop as I find the "ball" distracting, and does not add to the overall image.

it was challenging because I can't quite get the viewfinder up to my eye. I appreciate the inputs and will see what I can do tomorrow.

my attempt to apply input. The lettering on the first card was a bigger challenge than I first realized. It's foil, and depending on the angle, would appear to be out of focus if the light was reflecting off it into the lens.
One (small) benefit of being banged up is that my pace of shooting & comp has slowed by a factor of about 4-5x. It took me 15-20 min to compose and shoot this latest attempt. Previously, I would have spent maybe 5 min to compose & shoot. I need to get into the :zen: of shooting more and definitely slow down.

784586739_eXtLz-L.jpg

Last edited:
Keep the same length as the original, shallower DOF, and focus on the 3rd card. Crop out the ball & a little tighter on the bottom.

Gary that one looks nice ! Post #7
Stick with the simple things and odd subjects while your healing up.
You will be amazed at what you will be able to learn and how much it will help keeping your mind busy.
A bunch of years ago I came off a trials bike a broke my right arm. Being right handed it was a bit inconvenient and I was unable to work for a bit. During that time I made up my mind I was going to learn to shoot handguns weak handed (left hand for me). It was hard but each day I went out and shot 50 rounds with a .22. Loading the magazine was the hardest part at first. I worked for every round and practiced trigger control and sight alinement. From the week hand. I got pretty good, and later when I started shooting IPSC ect. my weak handed shooting became one of my strong points.
So you never know what may come from injures giving you the time to take things farther than your many times willing to give yourself otherwise.
Stick with it show us some more !

Gary that one looks nice ! Post #7
Stick with the simple things and odd subjects while your healing up.
You will be amazed at what you will be able to learn and how much it will help keeping your mind busy.
A bunch of years ago I came off a trials bike a broke my right arm. Being right handed it was a bit inconvenient and I was unable to work for a bit. During that time I made up my mind I was going to learn to shoot handguns weak handed (left hand for me). It was hard but each day I went out and shot 50 rounds with a .22. Loading the magazine was the hardest part at first. I worked for every round and practiced trigger control and sight alinement. From the week hand. I got pretty good, and later when I started shooting IPSC ect. my weak handed shooting became one of my strong points.
So you never know what may come from injures giving you the time to take things farther than your many times willing to give yourself otherwise.
Stick with it show us some more !

thanks for the encouraging words.

While we're on XoZe's thought train, maybe consider swapping out the boat card for a different one? The faux-shadow/dark spot on the top of the card is playing tricks with me looking at it. I keep wanting to see why there are not other shadows....

While we're on XoZe's thought train, maybe consider swapping out the boat card for a different one? The faux-shadow/dark spot on the top of the card is playing tricks with me looking at it. I keep wanting to see why there are not other shadows....

True...bring it closer to the "left", or use OCF to bring out the text a little.

Back