• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Critique my photo from Big Bend Country

Reaction score
Did take much time for it but there were lots of interesting lines to play with. Regardless, it’s been my phone background for like two months now.
088e8d5b19d2409f4b3f76adbfe87fa1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like the perspective. Would be interesting to see the mirrors tilted down a bit to see the road on whist you came from. Not sure how that would look but it may be interesting. I think this belongs on lonely planet.

This is a darn good one, I don't really have much of a critique at all. I love the color you pulled out of the sky, I really like the portrait aspect ratio (far too many people never turn their camera sensor vertical, especially with landscapes), and you had the sky helping you out with just the right about of interesting clouds.

If I really could point to any one little thing, and it is quite minor; I would say that your shadows on the bike are a tad dark. Again, it is the tiniest of critisim on one heck of a good photo.:thumb:

Nice. I’d have parked in the middle of the road.

Agreed. That’s my avatar. No one around for miles so why not own the road. But a very good picture. Looks like the days adventure is about up with the bikes shadow getting long but still a long way to travel in front of you. Well done

awesome subject, awesome color.
small nits.
The horizon is slightly tilted.
I would have tried to move to a position/angle to allow the bike to be near or at the lower right third focal point. The sky is the awesomeness, the asphalt, just gives perspective. I'd like to see the horizon along the bottom third myself. I do like how the road flows out of the lower left corner.

I like it!

I'd have tried another shot down about 20" off the ground and pretty much behind the bike about the same distance. That way I 'think' the road would just go on forever. Maybe try that next time you're down there?

Oh that makes me want to go down that road big time. I agree on a bit higher angle on the mirrors to show the scenery behind instead of two bright lights.

I hope what I've done isn't inappropriate, but I took the liberty of color editing and cropping the photo as part of my critique. Essentially, this is what I would've done had I been working lead design for a magazine layout or similar and the editor had come to me with a submitted photo to prep it for pre-press or online consumption.

I think the composition is good and the ambiance carries very well. It makes me want to be out on my bike alone in that same spot, so as a piece of art, I feel like it works. Here are the changes I made:

1.) I cropped the top of the photo to remove a very pronounced area of over-exposure in the clouds, and then slightly cropped the bottom to bring the photo back into balance.

2.) I increased the amount of blue in the sky to something less muted, yet still close to the upper end of the print gamut.

3.) I increased the amount of yellow and gold in the grasses through color replacement.

4.) I sharpened the grasses slightly to bring out the blades and blooms, and I also sharpened certain elements of the clouds and the motorcycle.

5.) I dodged the motorcycle as much as I could in order to bring it out more. It was mainly in shadow, and certain parts of it were under-exposed.

6.) I removed several artifacts as best I could in a low-res image while trying to minimize the creation of new ones as I dodged and sharpened.

Over all, a very pleasant photo, and again, I hope I did not overstep my bounds by editing:

Last edited:
I hope what I've done isn't inappropriate, but I took the liberty of color editing and cropping the photo as part of my critique. Essentially, this is what I would've done had I been working lead design for a magazine layout or similar and the editor had come to me with a submitted photo to prep it for pre-press or online consumption.

I think the composition is good and the ambiance carries very well. It makes me want to be out on my bike alone in that same spot, so as a piece of art, I feel like it works. Here are the changes I made:

1.) I cropped the top of the photo to remove a very pronounced area of over-exposure in the clouds, and then slightly cropped the bottom to bring the photo back into balance.

2.) I increased the amount of blue in the sky to something less muted, yet still close to the upper end of the print gamut.

3.) I increased the amount of yellow and gold in the grasses through color replacement.

4.) I sharpened the grasses slightly to bring out the blades and blooms, and I also sharpened certain elements of the clouds and the motorcycle.

5.) I dodged the motorcycle as much as I could in order to bring it out more. It was mainly in shadow, and certain parts of it were under-exposed.

6.) I removed several artifacts as best I could in a low-res image while trying to minimize the creation of new ones as I dodged and sharpened.

Over all, a very pleasant photo, and again, I hope I did not overstep my bounds by editing:
View attachment 245330

hope we aren’t stealing this thread, but you got me wondering if these adjustments could be done on a “smart phone”. Here’s my attempt @TWTim

Probably too bright but I’m mostly colored blind.

I like it, and I like TWTim's post-processing. I can't really do that because I'm colorblind.

Only one critique: I'd blank out the plate number.

Rush hour traffic... I hate it when that happens, lol. 😉

Back