• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Critique my video...

poser

Reaction score
First Name
jason
Last Name
bohac
Back story: My church is doing a teach series on The Integrated Life, and this Sunday morning I'm teaching on integrating your faith or spiritual life with you recreational life.
I decided to try and make a video of some friends who already do this to some degree.
I'm posting it here to get feedback on quality: footage, transitions, music, editing, whatever. If its good tell me, if its crap tell me and tell me why and maybe how I might fix it.
Thanks!

EDIT: filmed with my Gopro Hero3 Silver and edited in iMovie (current version) on 13" Mac Book

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdpqJuyaJt8"]Integradted Life - Recreation take 1 - YouTube[/ame]

EDIT: Adding Take 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bgq7j1Fm8k&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
oh yeah, and it was filmed 100% with my Gopro

I am like it. If there is a critique on the production it would be lighting of the talent while capturing the video. But the music, transition, and pace of the video is fine for me.

I think you did good. :thumb:

good.
just a couple of small suggestions. when active motion, try to frame them moving towards the center of the frame, rather out of the center of the frame.
If you want people viewing to connect with the message, then when you have a person talking about their life, I'd have them look at the camera/viewer.

Last edited:
I'd say overall it's well done. The only points I'd make, and they're nitpicking

1) the framing on the interviews is weird. I know you were going for non traditional, but it looks like someone who's never shot video before was shooting it as opposed to being artistic.

2) I would have used a boom mic, or if I didn't have one, would have hidden the lav mic and cable better

3) would have lit the interviews or at least used a bounce card

4) depending on what software you edited it on, I would use smooth cam on the shots out of the minivan. There are some jarring pot hole shots

5) would of used a little more b-roll over the girls interview, maybe photos of her running in marathon?

But, like I said it's a nice video overall. I really liked it, good sound bites, good music, good timing and pretty concise.

I too like it....

Couple things come to mind.

1) Fix the title in You-Tube. Integrated, not Integradted

2) With Megan, if you do a re-take or future 'interview' scenes, think of the video as a still shot and how would you do it. I get the feeling she is 'lost' in the frame, ie: too small for the space. I'd also consider more of her body instead of cutting her in half.

3) The cyclist appeared much better in framing compared to Megan

4) Credits! Give yourself credits at the end. Put the church name/contact information in there. Put the actors names, put your name, and put the commercial music information in there on artist/music company. Maybe a statement about 'fair use' but that's getting out of my experience level.

5) On the interviews in the future, maybe try to get them a bit more to the edge of the shade, and have a second person holding a 30" light reflector to put some light on them, bring out some contrast and "pop" in colors.

6) If these are to be a series, think bigger picture/longer term on titles. Will there be different ones for different sports, hunters, community service, team activities, mentoring, community service, raising a family, and so forth? Think about how they will all have the same look and feel for the introduction, title and credits with the content being what changes

7) Ping Skip Hunt and others here on how to pull some of this off....

8) The cyclist needs to move INTO frame area, not out of it. Think still pictures again.

Last edited:
These are all super helpful! :thumb:
Edited in iMovie (the newest version), which isn't too bad for what it is. THis is my first real attempt at something like this.
I can probably fix the framing on some of the shot, as I cropped them a little. Some of them though are cropped to get rid of distracting back ground. I may just have to pick a different take.
I wish I could go back and retake some with these suggestions, but I'm planning on showing it this Sunday and it was heck getting schedules to work out for Megan's portion. I only filmed her yesterday. I was hoping to be this far a week ago.

Some of it might can be chalked up to it was 2:00am when I finished :lol2:

Overall, I give it a 4/5.
-.5 for framing issues (experience)
-.5 for the GoPro. Excellent cameras, but not for this. Even a cheap handycam will work better. Still, excellent work from that camera.

Biggest issues with framing were Megan (the shot that runs over 1:17ish) and the cyclist.

Lighting would help.

Timing, transitions, flow, all excellent :thumb:

I think this is a very well done video. I would suggest that for future videos you work on the framing issues that others have mentioned.

The only really substandard part was when Megan was talking to someone off to side of the frame, rather than at the viewer.

On the other hand, when Mike was talking near the end he was talking right at the viewer. You might have framed him a bit tighter but really that's a very small detail. Mike was also framed in a 'rule-of-thirds' way. I liked this.

Video experts: Does the 'rule of thirds' work in video as general thing?

I also agree that a few more credits, perhaps with some contact information, would be justified.

This video shows real talent, I'd encourage you to make more as time and opportunity permit.

Yes, the rule of thirds applies just like in photography. Of course, like photography, pushing the rule is seen as artistic. I have no issue with Megan's framing as a cutaway effect shot, but it gets uncomfortable as the main shot especially since it is long. I don't have a problem with a the subject looking off camera at an interviewer, however it is nice to have the subject look at the camera for heart felt dialogue. I think with the tools Jason had available he did an outstanding job! Just a little tweaking will make the video excellent. And with just a little training Jason could be a professional video producer, though I wouldn't recommend that for a career choice... :giveup:

wow thanks for the kind words guys! :clap:

I honestly didn't think it was great, and certainly not as cool as it looked in my head :lol2:, though I'm limited by skill, experience and I guess some degree equipment.
Believe it or no, the Gopro is the best video camera I have :giveup:, the others are an iPhone or an older Flip camcorder :doh:
Creativity is definitely one of those things that you have to practice and cultivate. There was a time when I'm sure I could have done better, but over the years I stopped using that creative side and it kind of went "dormant"

Alright, I made a few changes. Its rendering and I'll upload "take 2" as soon as I can.

Thanks again for all the input, it's been super helpful

I think it's important to put in there your copyright stuff. Along with that, did you secure a model/portfolio/use release on the two individuals? I have several 'flavors' of them for that and commercial use. I'd get in the habit of securing a release BEFORE you shoot anyone that will be used for ANYTHING. And I'd go back and have each one sign one as soon as you get your hands on it if you haven't. Print two copies, each sign and retain for each party.

Another item to consider is the intended distribution vs where it actually winds up. Is there a possibility these could be a series which could be bundled/packaged and marketed to other churches, support groups etc? And that also brings in the release forms again for protection.

I guess I should add the background track I used copyright info.
The use for this is just going to be for this coming Sunday morning and maybe on YouTube or Facebook so the church folks can go back and view it if they'd like. I hadn't planned on any marketing or distribution beyond that.

Scott, while I agree that having a release form is good legal insurance, if someone is an adult, in a public place, and consents to being on camera I don't think it will be an issue. Minors are a totally different thing. Since this is a church project, and the subjects are members, I don't foresee issues. Yes, if he sells it to another church then by all means get their permission first.

Jason, you should check out Vimeo. Our church has a channel, the video quality is better, and it is more private. I'm pretty sure it's free too.

Excellent. If this was your first attempt, I look forward to your follow ups. I also really liked the premise...

Yeah we have a video too and I have one. I don't remember what the log in is though :doh: :rofl:
It was late so I just threw it on the youtubes

Updated first post with take 2

KSBJ has some pics of the 2011 Marathon and their area on Flickr. You could throw a couple of these shots in when she's talking about the race. Here's the link

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=houston+marathon+ksbj

I would tighten up Megan's story and cover the edits with some of these shots. Her framing is better. :sun:

I would tighten up Megan's story and cover the edits with some of these shots.

Excellent opportunity.... and would add value to the story. Are there any still's available for the cyclist? Charity rides/MS150 etc which could also be used?

Her framing is better. :sun:

Yeah, having the subject look directly at the camera is much better. The side angle works for short periods.

Nice job Jason...

I like that idea, it wold help with transitions so maybe I can chop some of the dead space out of her story.
Though I may let it ride, as I still have to finish preparing for the teaching. If I leave it as is, its stays fairly "simple" looking
But once I get done with my other prep, I'll see if i can tweek it just a little more.

Thanks again for all the tips and help! :clap:

Back