• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Crop format preference?

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Shooting TWS this past weekend, I had the opportunity to be in a lot of places around the track. Looking at some different crop formats, I got to wondering what formats 'work' better than others. After a bit more thought, I sort of concluded that the end use of the image would drive the crop format.

For example, for an avatar on a forum, you'd want a fairly standard rectangle either horizontal or vertical. And if you were filling a spot on a wall, you might not like a more traditional 2x3 or 4x6 type format.

So does everyone sort of buy into the thought process that the end use drives the crop format?

Here's two different images with two different crops:

#1 (standard 4x6 crop)
i-bdwnMvs-XL.jpg

#2 (1:4 crop)
i-rQdNz2s-XL.jpg

Thoughts?

I use whatever fits for the individual photograph. 99% of the time when I am printing to hang on a wall I am using a non-standard crop and then just do a custom border to make it fit a standard size frame.

I prefer the standard crop from above, when shooting 1 bike. I feel like the 1x4 above doesn't have enough substance to warrant the crop. If there were multiple bikes, I think it would be great.

I prefer the standard crop from above, when shooting 1 bike. I feel like the 1x4 above doesn't have enough substance to warrant the crop. If there were multiple bikes, I think it would be great.

OK, multiple bikes...
i-rn9w8cs-XL.jpg

For me the end use drives the crop. IMO it is part of the artsy side of photography (as is most post processing). In most cases, a single subject lends itself to a 1:1-ish crop because the end use is to show that subject. However, you can do some pretty cool things by cropping a single subject wide or tall.

In the first two examples, I can imagine a use for either crop. In the third, I think a 1:1 crop only works if you isolate the individual.

When I crop I often worry about the finality of it. Once I have cropped it, I have set the fate of that photo. Forever. (I know, not really forever. But once post is complete, I don't typically redo it).

:tab I crop a lot. When I am shooting an image, I am also usually thinking about cropping right then and there. I try to frame the shot to get what I want, but then if I feel it necessary later, I will crop further to get what I feel is the best image. I don't usually worry too much about matching standard image sizes like 3x5, 4x6, 8x10, etc,... It is easy to use a matte border around a non standard image when putting it in a standard frame.

depends, too, on the end consumer of the photo. For a shoot where folks are going to want to be printing 5x7's, you want them to be able to frame it without pinching the subject. Then there's the whole golden ratio thing. If I break the "rules", I try to break them with purpose.
Sometimes it depends on if the printed image is going to be hung up in a odd shaped space. If they're pretty much going on the web only, I still try to stick with the golden ratio and break it with purpose or crop out some odd, distracting object on the edge.

Back