• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Curious about some of your hard "rules" for riding...

Reaction score
I'm referring to rules you have self-applied and which oyuo adamantly refuse to violate.

For ex, I have 3:

1) No helmet...no ride. Period and no exceptions, myself included. I've been mocked, for donning my helmet when I move my bike across the parking lot. (I contend, my skull doesnt know the difference between the concrete on the road 40 miles from home and the concrete in the parking lot at work.)

2) Its my bike...not yours. No, you're not piploting my bike. I've known/seen too many people whose bikes were totalled by their "buddies". Usually, without the financials to replace it.

3) 1 drink, and I'll ride again in an hour. 2 drinks, and it'll be 2 hours. 3 drinks, and the barkeep gets my keys and $20 so he can call me a cab later on.

My most stringent is 8 hours, bottle to throttle.
Not even one drink if I'm riding.

Kind of like, the "it's MY bike" above, except the other view. I'm not riding it unless I can fix whatever might go wrong.

Also, if I do borrow a bike, (which I am right now) it gets returned in better shape than I received it. (I like to wrench anyway)

Greetings fellow F&I man,

I surely do have a few and hold them as unequivocal:

I agree with you on your #1 and would just expand your contention regarding your skull to include all the rest of my parts, so All The Gear, All The Time: Helmet, ear plugs, gaiter/balavlava, leather jacket, gloves, overpants, and boots irrespective of distancel;

Also agree with your #2 with one or two notable exceptions with whom I would trust not only the bike but also my money, my life and my family with reciprocity;All others don't even touch it, please;

I've been sober 13 years, 4 months,19 days so I have a different #3 than you. Congratulations on managing your enjoyment of the grape and grain

My #3 is Pre-flight/Pre-trip mental inventory: When I roll the bike out of the garage, I check the oil sight glass and chain tension and WD40 it. I check and adjust tire pressures then start it up and check smooth cable and control response. While the motor's warming up and I'm gearing up I remind myself of the Blind guy theory and that I go where I look, and that as Keith Code says, I have only a finite amount of attention to pay so that planning and watching ahead can free up attention/observation for the inevetable unexpected:eek2:

My #4 is to deal with the unexpecteds in a calm and practical way and not waste precious attention or energy on anger or retaliation. Scan, Identify, Predict, Decide, Execute,...and Escape:lol2:

My #5 is Have Fun:rider: When it stops being fun, I'll quit!

Keep it right side up!

ed

I generally order a soda if I'm riding. If I do have a beer, it's just one and I take my time drinking it.

I don't ride without a helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, and at least denim pants.

If I'm on a group ride, I don't follow close and I don't ride any faster than I'm comfortable with. If they go off and leave me, that's OK. I can usually find my home.

I take it easy on blind corners and hill crests. You never what's waiting for you on the other side.

I don't even like people touching my bike. I got mad once because someone taped a sign to my bike at work asking me to park in a particular location where it was less likely to get hit. The request was perfectly reasonable, but please don't put tape on my bike. :miffed: The guy could have picked up a phone and called my extension. I think it pissed off the owner of the company because I wadded up the sign and didn't move my bike that day.

1) Helmet, Jacket, proper shoes/boots, minimum jeans, preferably armored pants, and gloves, and this goes for people that want to ride with me, not because I have a cheap inssurance (I have the full blown thing), but my ride is not a "want to get one with you for a fun time", I have friends at work that wanted to ride, and have 2 people at work that I helped get helmet, jacket and gloves so they would be allowed to ride on my bike.. don;t like it, as a squid to ride on his ride... (never negociable)

2) no drinks... period... unless I am sleeping over at your place (and I am riding to your place prior to the drinking happens)

3) I don't let people ride my bike... if some asks( and it someone that has had a bike for some times), better have proof of inssurance that I will check for ability to pay damages and proof of M class drivers license. With the understanding, if you wreck my ride, while mine is in the shop.. I ride yours....period... besides who want to ride my gs500.. no one that I know...lol

1) Helmet, Jacket, proper shoes/boots, minimum jeans, preferably armored pants, and gloves (borrowed from Patrick's post but +1!!!)

2) Never go start a ride unless I feel 100%. Does not matter how long it has been.

1) No drinking! Period! Not me, my passenger or any one else riding with me.
2) No helmet, no pants, no boots, no jacket. No ride. That is for me and my passenger. Others can ride as they want.
3) Enjoy the ride. Short or long.

1. Helmet, armored jacket, gloves, boots and jeans anytime I leave the parking lot.

2. I don't dring and generally do not ride with people who have been drinking.

3. I ride my own pace.

I buy a bike based more on emotional appeal than practical considerations but it is still just stuff. Strangers can sit on it, friends can ride it. If it gets broke, it will get fixed. If it gets wrecked, I got insurance. Just not a big deal as far as I am concerned.

#1 I will not ride if I do not feel 100%. That covers being sick as a dog, under the influence, or otherwise impaired. I am the Infantry, I can walk if I have to. Drunk passengers are a no-go too.

#2 No gear, no ride. It has pained me to say no, on account of how totally gorgeous the girl asking for the ride was - but sorry darlin' that skirt and your pumps are not going to cut it on the bike. Besides, I'd hate to be responsible for damaging one of God's finer creations - even if it was just a rock bouncing up off the street and busting a knee up. If I've promised a ride - I show up with my spare jacket, helmet, and gloves strapped to the back seat - unless they have their own gear. I also make it clear that long pants are mandatory, and cute isn't the name of the game, so no spandex. Boots are required.

#3 My most spirited riding belongs at the racetrack, and that is where it stays. Throwing down like Ben Spies at Barber is best done at Barber - not FM 3xx.

1. Helmet, jacket, gloves, demin pants (at least), boots, EARPLUGS! seriously thinking about a reflective vest or new lime jacket.

2. Ride at my own pace.

3. Can't drink anymore (type II diabetic which sucks fyi) so no worries there.

4. Enjoy the ride.

#2 No gear, no ride. It has pained me to say no, on account of how totally gorgeous the girl asking for the ride was - but sorry darlin' that skirt and your pumps are not going to cut it on the bike.

When I was teenager, I used to ride with a spare helmet under a bungee net just in case a girl wanted to go for a ride. If it was just a short ride, I didn't make a big deal about gear. Of course, hormones were guiding my thought process more than accident statistics. :trust:

Yea I'm easy,
1) live to ride ride to live
2)Do onto others ......
3)NO DRUGS PERIOD! If you drink I'm leaving. *Wher'd E go...Hic...

When riding, never be in a hurry. If I'm late, so be it. Better to be late than not arrive at all.

Dave

I ride because I love it. The only "rule" I have is to ride for my own enjoyment. I have had my motorcycle endorsement for over 25 years so I don't have anything to prove when I ride.

For me:

1. Helmet
2. No more than one drink depending on where I am
3. Passenger must abide by 1 and 2

My main thing is to have my cell phone with me, despite how much I hate it.

+1 forgot that....

Yep never know when your in a gully by yourself bike atop you with a broken leg... 911 is only a buttons away..... (this assumes your conscious, don't have both broken arms and cant reach for cell phone in pocket, the cell phone survived the crash etc etc (grin)) ..

I use it to remind my wife I am not dead yet and she cannot collect the life insurance on me. (she asked I put an I.C.E (in case of Emergency) number in the phone... I refused - I have one called My Parents), I use it for AAA as well... :)

1) ATGATT
2) Ride chicken.
3) Never ride faster than my guardian angel can fly.

1. ATGATT
2. Small groups of riders that I know and trustif we are going to be spirited.
3. Everyone rides their own pace. This is not a race and you do not have to keep up. We'll wait for you at the next turn off, gas stop, etc. wait for everyone to regroup then head back out. We will not leave anyone behind.(another advantage of keeping the groups small)
4. Everyone gets home safe. If an accident or mechanical break down occurs, the ride is over. We make sure that anyone involved in the incident is taken care of and that they are safely transported to home/hospital/etc. and that their bike makes it home.

Little rules, but they are the ones I live by.

Gloves , boots, long pants, jacket and helmet, although I will admit to riding to the corner store sans helmet and jacket (1/8 mile round trip).
I dont drink, I'm a card carrying AA member, and I would prefer to ride with people that dont drink while riding.
NO, you cant ride my bike, nor do I want to ride yours.
bob

I always wear a helmet, Jacket, gloves, boots and at least jeans
I never let any one ride my bike. Once my best buddy talked me in to letting him sit on my FLHT when he was trashed and while I was distracted he started it and took off. He almost crashed in and I was pissed so now I even hesitate to let any one sit on my bike.
When traveling I always try to be off the road before dark. There are too many critters running around and I usually camp and hate setting up the tent after dark.
I always try fixing my bike myself so I will know how to when I have to. If I know I can't I wont even try.
I always have a Leatherman, flashlight and matches in my jacket pocket

Since I started riding again...

No alcohol...this includes "near beer"...

Must have helmet, jacket, and gloves...

No squid like behavior...wheelies, burnouts, etc on public streets...

Back