• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cuts in tire - safe to continue using?

k-dubya

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
KW ... or just Dub
I've discovered three small cuts in the rear tire body, all between the 'knobs.'

The largest is about 3/8" across and 1/4" deep. The smallest is about 1/4" x 1/4".

The tire is a Mitas E07+ with about 3,000 miles on it.

I hate replacing a mid-life tire almost as much as I hate a flat...

Insights or suggestions?
20221208_130830.jpg
20221208_130838.jpg
20221208_130810.jpg

I'm accustomed to seeing some amount of cracks between knobs on my tires. I'd keep riding it. I'm assuming this is in your Africa Twin with tubes, as I've no experience with this on tubeless wheels.

Last edited:
I keep a close eye on it and probably not start a trip far from home on it.

And contact the manufacturer.

I'm accusing to seeing some amount of cracks between knobs on my tires. I'd keep riding it. I'm assuming this is in your Africa Twin with tubes, as I've no experience with this on tubeless wheels.
Yep, it's the AT with tubes.

You do you, but I would replace ASAP. If you are seeing that type of a failure (dryrot??), where else is it about to fail that maybe is not visible until the tire falls apart. How much is it worth to you to not change a tube or have a problem out on the road.

Those tires look like they have 1/3 of their tread left. At $400 for tires and install. So, you are only out $133 ($400 x .3333). I would gladly pay $133 to avoid an interruption while on an adventure ride. :-)

Let's say the tire fails catastrophic while you are at highway speeds, you will spend more than $133 healing up. :-(

I had a set of Mitas E07+ on my AT. Lasted about 3500 miles. I liked them, but they wore out in no time.
I've switched to a Motoz Tractionator GPS on the rear, and switch between a GPS/Adventure/RallZ for the front - depending on the trip.
I get about 8000 out of the back, and 1,000,000 out of the front since I switch them around so often.

Weeeeeeeeeellllllllll........ maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but I just can't seem to wear out a front tire on my AT.

There are smaller cracks visible near the larger ones thanks to excellent pictures. I would replace it, now that you seen them they will be on your mind when riding. Why chance it ruining a ride/trip?

There are smaller cracks visible near the larger ones thanks to excellent pictures. I would replace it, now that you seen them they will be on your mind when riding. Why chance it ruining a ride/trip?
Well, sir, you were somewhat prophetic. I went to a local rock road and twisted the loud handle hard. Sure enough, one knob just kind of peeled back. I made my way home gingerly and have begun the 'which tire' debate. It's almost as much fun as the oil and oil change debate.

My next set are a Motoz Dual Venture front and Motoz Adventure rear. I've been running the Motoz GPS rear with fairly good results, but I'd like a little better straight line drive than is afforded but the solid center strip on the GPS. They're all in my garage if you'd like to come have a look.

Last edited:
Back