• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dakar 2019

For the love of it all, please Honda don't screw this up!

The KTM beast will be stirring...their strategy is usually to let others push week one & crash out (Barreda obviously read the script) then start pushing week 2!

I have a couple of journalist friends out there writing & shooting, here's one of Justin's from yesterday.

LRM_EXPORT_18829568081429_20190110_122804740.jpeg

Has an american ever won an overall Dakar, even in the old days?

No, Mark Miller & Robbbie Gordon took 2nd & 3rd in cars in 2009, ,Danny LaPorte took 2nd (riding the Cagive Elefant) in bikes in 1992, Chris Blais took 3rd in 2007.

Really to win the Dakar it helps to be French, like really helps to be French :ponder:. After that it helps to be riding a KTM.

No, Mark Miller & Robbbie Gordon took 2nd & 3rd in cars in 2009, ,Danny LaPorte took 2nd (riding the Cagive Elefant) in bikes in 1992, Chris Blais took 3rd in 2007.

Really to win the Dakar it helps to be French, like really helps to be French :ponder:. After that it helps to be riding a KTM.
Helps to be french, Al la the Gordon issue this year:ponder:.

Less interesting than previous years for me. Too much sand and dunes in my opinion.

Ricky Brabec Honda still first overall not by much but other big names are nursing injuries . Go usa . today is rest day sunday

I need a source for highlights. I haven't seen any of it yet.

Any good privateer style documentaries like Lyndon Poskitt did last year? It would be awesome if more riders were able to do that kind of thing. It is a lot of extra work though. Speaking of LP, did he race again this year?

I don’t believe Poskitt is racing this year. I get the 30 minute show on nbcs each day. Plus you tube has a pretty good daily highlight show.

Brabek claiming someone jacked around with his suspension clicks during marathon stages. French getting nervous perhaps.

Hope I didn’t jinx him. I think I mentioned in an earlier post about him keeping the bike together. 😩

Hondas shouldn't be breaking, if he was on an xr600 he would still be racing. He might be last but he'd still be out there

Technically under the rules he can tow back to the bivouac and if the motor can be rebuilt he can start tomorrow. However, for a team rider this would put them too far out of contention to be worth the trouble or risk. The Malle Moto guys would be a whole different story though!

Sam Sunderland gets a 1 hour penalty, Kevin Benevides gets 3 hours, both for navigation notes outside the road book (taped to the gas tank). This is explicitly outside the rules but the top teams can (and do) legally employ "map men" to analyze the upcoming day's stage and provide feedback to the riders. They can also spot faster routes which still hit all the WPs, here's a map man friend's illustration of how this works;

49348591_2080452852000697_2684121850081968128_n.jpg

Sam Sunderland gets a 1 hour penalty, Kevin Benevides gets 3 hours, both for navigation notes outside the road book (taped to the gas tank). This is explicitly outside the rules but the top teams can (and do) legally employ "map men" to analyze the upcoming day's stage and provide feedback to the riders. They can also spot faster routes which still hit all the WPs, here's a map man friend's illustration of how this works;

View attachment 50110

Oops ! ! ! :clap:

Back