• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dallas Dirt

Reaction score
Might be taking a motocamping roadtrip up to Dallas this weekend. Are there any dirt roads around the Dallas/FW area worth hitting?

The bigger question is where do you plan on "motocamping" in a state with basically zero public access land? You'll be basically limited to private campgrounds, Corps of Engineer Campgrounds and State Parks. Not that there's anything wrong with that just don't plan on doing any dispersed backcountry camping.

As for roads. I can't think of anything memorable off the top of my head. The further away you get from Dallas proper the more county roads are unpaved. Out here in Hunt County it seems to be about half and half of the unpaved roads are gravel and the rest are actually dirt that were nearly impassable even on the little fat tired TW200 when it rains.

A little north of me is the National Grasslands but most of that is pretty tame gravel roads.

Pretty much anymore the only way to get my dirt fix around here is to simply ride unpaved county and farm roads which doesn't make for much in the realm of excitement in many cases.

If you get to Dallas I would suggest going east for the sand as opposed to rock and the greenery. You can find thousands of RV parks that will let you tent camp. I've gone about as far as 70 miles east on almost all dirt road from Greenville.

Might be taking a motocamping roadtrip up to Dallas this weekend. Are there any dirt roads around the Dallas/FW area worth hitting?
A little late responding to this but might help in the future & you can google all of these for location & camping fees:

Rocky Ridge, Red River, Brushy Creek, Northwest OHV in Bridgeport.

It's certainly time to get out there. I'd like to hear how the weekend went and whether the OP got caught in those hail storms that passed through.

Here's my take on DFW riding:

I like dirt but most of all, I like getting out of the city and into the country. If you don't mind 2 lane paved with dirt loops along the route, I head south and west from 175 on Malloy Bridge road. It will take you to I45 and to Ferris (take the I45 business when you get to I45). There are several dirt roads before I45 but nothing technical. Just a nice ride.

Same goes for South and East off 175 on 146. We used to eat burgers at Indian Oaks golf course but that last ride there it was closed. It's still a nice combo of small cities, city parks, and mixed rural. It would be busy on the weekend and best for day rides on weekdays before 4pm.

Camping for me would be the state park Joe Pool lake. I've done day rides there but no camping. Cedar Hill state park. Alternative is Purtis Creek SP, small but very nice.

Nearest real dirt roads are Hunt county to the east or another favorite, LBJ Grasslands on the other side and north of FW. And you could camp free at LBJ (near Decatur).

Theres some.Grasslands north of me as well.

Caddo Ntl Grasslands.

59130a26c3884aedaf0a73023a325a5a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I've been able to make it from my house in Greenville to Like Fork, then lake of the Pines on almost all dirt roads. Next will be to make it to Caddo Lake and then Toledo Bend via dirt roads. Beautiful greenery out east.
It's only time.

Took 2 lane roads to Combine and then circled the town and up to lunch at a city park next to the baseball field at Crandall. Lunch was a can of beans and a can of Viennas. Usually cook brats but ran out of time packing up when one plug was fouled. I left the petcock on overnight and the garage reeked of gas. Old bikes...gotta love them.

Anyways, the area around Combine, SE of Dallas, was all paved but very rural and a nice chance to get out and get back during the week. YMMV.

I recently went up to / enjoyed the LBJ National Grasslands area - some pics attached.

Attachments

• thumbnail (1).jpeg
    thumbnail (1).jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 288
  • thumbnail (2).jpeg
    thumbnail (2).jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 276
  • thumbnail (3).jpeg
    thumbnail (3).jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 277
  • thumbnail.jpeg
    thumbnail.jpeg