• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dallas Trinity River Levees

Reaction score
I'm a new owner of a Yamaha TW200 and a new member to the forums. I live in North Oak Cliff and I'm looking for some places nearby where I don't have to haul the bike to ride.

I'm interested in the Trinity River levees near downtown where I live. I've looked on the Internet, but can't find any information that says it is legal or illegal to ride there. I was hoping someone here might have experience with this area that they can share with a newbie.

I appreciate any help given.

I've seen vehicles down there, but that's not any indicator of legality.

If you find out it's legal to ride down there and want some company, let me know. I've often wondered the same thing. I highly doubt it's legal, but it would be sweet if it was.

Sweet screen name BTW!

I doubt that it is legal.

None of the levees are generally legal because of erosion problems caused by traffic on them.

I mowed the levees in FTW for many years and there were signs everywhere regarding tresspass.

There is supposed to be a cross country area east of 114 at the river just past Regal Row, but I have never been there.

I have been down by 35/114/regal row (once). There were some interesting trails down there. As usual I kept getting lost and retracking. I had talked about meeting Goat trail green down there but I never seem to have time....

When I went down I rode in (plated) I passed Dallas finest and no one hassled me. Maybe he was busy. I have heard of "issues" west of there. I was down there right after the one cross country event I saw there. 2 years now?

No idea about general condition at this point. I wish there was some use endorsed it could be great.

Riding on the levees is illegal. While doing some contract work for Atmos is was stopped 3.5 times regarding my trespassing. The .5 is the third cop that realized he had already talked to me.

Bummer on the confirmed "no-no" status. That looks like it would be a great place to ride.

I'll have to go look at the area down by 114/35/Regal Row and see if there is any love there.

I think in some areas of the trinity in south Dallas they have nature trails (foot only). Someone here used to upload some beautiful pics from kayaking on the Trinity and maybe he knows where it is legal to ride. I remember that he camped there.

The TCCRA has held a couple of races down in the levee area at Stemmons and Regal Row a couple of times,and we were told that it's not legal to ride down there unless there was a race going on. And then you had to stay in the race track area.Supposedly it's a city park

I've ridden down there a few times when a race wasn't going on and no one ever said a word about it. Of course I was the only one down there,other than the homeless people. I know one thing for sure,you sure see some strange sights back in the woods! :eek2:

Used to ride the levee/dam off 121 between the colony and lewisville at the end of fish hatch rd. 1970s anyone remember that? you had to climb the levee to get around the flood gate and then you had a riders paradise on the other side. SZ.

Used to ride the levee/dam off 121 between the colony and lewisville at the end of fish hatch rd. 1970s anyone remember that? you had to climb the levee to get around the flood gate and then you had a riders paradise on the other side. SZ.

I spent many hours there practicing, back in the 70's. Now I think it's a nature reserve..................and a place where the bad guys dump bodies! :eek2:

That's just up the street from my house, access is a little tough these days.

I would imagine it's posted and wired these days, Havent been by there in years but back in the day you could ride or 4 wheel to the back and swim near the train trestle, If a down pour came you had to bail out of there fast, the water would rise to 3-4 ft within minutes, we almost lost a rider who didnt make it out, we formed a search party and found him exhausted face down in the mud with a rope tied to his bike to keep from losing it, We pulled him home with the same rope, picture a 72 DT1 pulling a 72 AT1, Those were the days. SZ.

here are some videos "of the area". I have ridden down there a lot, the police are cool about the place, you just have to look out for the weird people. i go by myself but most of the time iam doing 50mph (or more). like i said , here are some videos.

this one is more technical:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOaSKWJj07Y

this one is more artsy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9cBUnKtQ3I

if you go, go slow and careful because there are a lot of ways to get hurt.

The TCCRA has held a couple of races down in the levee area at Stemmons and Regal Row a couple of times,and we were told that it's not legal to ride down there unless there was a race going on. And then you had to stay in the race track area.Supposedly it's a city park

I've ridden down there a few times when a race wasn't going on and no one ever said a word about it. Of course I was the only one down there,other than the homeless people. I know one thing for sure,you sure see some strange sights back in the woods! :eek2:

That is true, I have been down there and didnt see ANYONE for MILES !!! - like being on the moon!!!

The deal is this: The police do not want you down there. In 3 years I have never encountered them, but I get the impression. If you do go down there, just be careful how far "down" you go. If you see Lew Sterret, you have gone WAY to far and need to head back. There is a bridge that crosses the river. DO NOT go across that bridge because you are entering a very, even more, dangerous neighborhood. Try to only go with other people, safety in numbers you know. 4 people shouldnt have any problems at all.

There is a darn mean "lap" or "track" that takes about 4-5 minutes to complete and is physical. Its there you just have to know where it is! lol.

dallas says its a city park , but that is B.S., - the place is a swamp. more B.S.
from the dallas govt.

i cant wait to see their 40 million dollar suspended foot bridge.

that is going to be good.

ed29, butte, and myself have been out there the past two weekends. It's a nice place, small compared to places like Muenster, but for being so close, it's not too bad. We should hopefully be out there again in the next 1-2 weeks.

Just remember, you have to have an OHV sticker (sold at the park office) in order to ride at that park.

Would you guys mind if I joined you to ride at that park? I have the next two weeks off and could ride just about any time. Thanks much.

I don't mind at all. I'll just post up a thread in the off-road section when we figure out when we are going. So far, the weather looks fairly decent on Sunday, but I don't know if we are free that day.

Have any of you local D/FW guys ridden at a city park in Trophy Club on the northwest shore of Lake Grapevine? They claim to have 7.5 miles of off-road trails for ATVs and dirt bikes. I'd like to check it out. Below is a link:

http://www.texasoffroad.net/forum/u...830/Trophy_Club_Park_General_Infor#Post388830

I've been out there a bunch. Its not bad if you don't mind riding the same trail over and over. We should go out there so you can try out my XR!

when it rains it is a mess though for quite a while! When its dry, its really sandy.

Seems this thread has morphed away from the levees, but I just saw it and have a suggestion for the Dallas City Council, the Corp. of Engineers, etc:

Instead of building an artificial whitewater park (on the Trinity? C'mon! Sounds like a Farrelly brothers movie) how about a moto-park for ORVs? :rider: I mean, it exists naturally, just some grading, signs, pic-a-nic tables.

Oh yeah, I forgot - ORVs are not environmentally friendly. Not like an artificial whitewater run with attendant pumps, etc.

Ive been riding off 820 on the east side of FW a little. There are alot of trails across the hwy from that wakeboard lake. You can even cross the Trinity at one point.

Back