• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Danger danger ⚠️

Reaction score
Soo, we choose a hobby that has risk. I truly believe in safety 3rd, if not I would not show up much less ride. We lie to ourselves that our skill, bright colors, or technology will keep us safe. The reality is sometimes it’s just dumb luck. Most of us do things to reduce the risk or severity of injury. We wear protective gear so if something happens we may be able to walk away. Bla, bla, bla, I got it; so other day i was riding alone far from home. I know not best but family can track me on 360. I was working my way home, having fun, and seeing how far I could slide bike around corners! (Plane crash never caused by one event). I also was getting tired. At this point I have to thank the Robert E Lee, you know the guy who runs redneck ramble. For some reason his speech, these are public roads if you can’t see the exit stay in your side, ran through my head. I entered a great corner using all my cris burch lessons, glanced at my time on the dash, 3:44, thought @hit school. Just before apex at posted speed limit 😉 I took Mr. Lee’s advise went wide(left hand corner). Suddenly there was a car under steering through the gravel. Young dark hair kid driving a Jetta or golf. I was able to make the ditch as he crossed into my side with a look of horror on his face. He never expected to see a bright orange Ktm 1090r. I was pissed for a second but I had to look in the mirror. I owned some of that. No I didn’t chase him or throw rocks. Rest of ride home was very uneventful. After arriving home daughter asked how was it, answer: it went well.
This was just a reminder if you can’t see the exit stay on your side. Me. Lee, thank you for sharing the events of your friend passing, it may have saved my life.

Soo, we choose a hobby that has risk. I truly believe in safety 3rd, if not I would not show up much less ride. We lie to ourselves that our skill, bright colors, or technology will keep us safe. The reality is sometimes it’s just dumb luck. Most of us do things to reduce the risk or severity of injury. We wear protective gear so if something happens we may be able to walk away. Bla, bla, bla, I got it; so other day i was riding alone far from home. I know not best but family can track me on 360. I was working my way home, having fun, and seeing how far I could slide bike around corners! (Plane crash never caused by one event). I also was getting tired. At this point I have to thank the Robert E Lee, you know the guy who runs redneck ramble. For some reason his speech, these are public roads if you can’t see the exit stay in your side, ran through my head. I entered a great corner using all my cris burch lessons, glanced at my time on the dash, 3:44, thought @hit school. Just before apex at posted speed limit 😉 I took Mr. Lee’s advise went wide(left hand corner). Suddenly there was a car under steering through the gravel. Young dark hair kid driving a Jetta or golf. I was able to make the ditch as he crossed into my side with a look of horror on his face. He never expected to see a bright orange Ktm 1090r. I was pissed for a second but I had to look in the mirror. I owned some of that. No I didn’t chase him or throw rocks. Rest of ride home was very uneventful. After arriving home daughter asked how was it, answer: it went well.
This was just a reminder if you can’t see the exit stay on your side. Me. Lee, thank you for sharing the events of your friend passing, it may have saved my life.

...more than luck was one your side. Well done.

Last edited:
People on your side of the road is a HUGE issue in places like North Carolina where the roads are crazy twisty and almost every corner is blind. I even had a deputy sheriff almost run me off the road. The irony was that my son was on the back of my bike and we were JUST talking about that very issue. The words were literally hanging in the air as I started into a left hand corner running intentionally wide when the deputy came blasting around from the other direction and crossed over into my lane quite far. His eyes were wide too, but he just zoomed off, likely embarrassed. It really made a serious impression on my son! We spend a LOT of time talking about survival strategies when riding together. Hopefully, if he ever starts riding on his own when he is old, those conversations will float back into his thoughts.

Yup. About out only protection on motorcycles is our present time focus, riding skills, and the quick response of a well tuned machine. Also remember, the first rule in a crisis situation is.... don't panic!

Good story. That relates to my recent discussion about riding Lime Creek Rd., I can't understand motorcyclists who go try and do their own private time trials on that road and intentionally go into the other side on corners when there's a high probability someone in their new Corvette is doing the same thing in the other direction.

Way to go avoiding a crash. And thanks for the reminder.

Good advice. I had a similar event on the way home yesterday; a car where I didn't expected it. 100% my fault because I failed to expect the unexpected.

1634916528595.png

Back