• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Darkside run flat rear tire recommendation for my Wing

Front tire had air rear car tire was off bead!
this was not worth trying to save money on rubber. And the ****** handling at low speed.
my hospital bill was $96 k
I'm sorry for your accident. Are you saying that the properly inflated tire removed itself from the bead and caused you to lose control? Or are you saying that you have no recollection of the accident and that the tire was found to be off the bead after the accident?

That's exactly what happened to my friend right outside NB. He felt the tire get mushy, then bead failure. He was running a run flat. I was there so I know. As I have said if I was going CT, it would not be a run flat. I think it gives a false sense of security.

I'm sorry for your accident. Are you saying that the properly inflated tire removed itself from the bead and caused you to lose control? Or are you saying that you have no recollection of the accident and that the tire was found to be off the bead after the accident?
Yes,

I'm a little late to this but I ran a CT on my 2013 Wing for over 50K miles. I tried quite a few and ended up with the Pirelli Snow Control.

I ran it at 36 in the twisties and would sometimes drop to 32 when I was going to do long highway sections early on until I realized that I tended to wear out the sides before the middle anyway and then just left it there. I would only get 8K miles out of one, but then again, I'd burn up the G704 in 4K miles....so it doubled the mileage for me. (I obviously ride more aggressive than most)

I'll say this about the handling. I ran the CT because of the increased traction. I don't think a CT works for every motorcycle but a RF CT on a GL1800 is a great fit. It significantly improves the wet weather traction and braking ability and you are NOT going to break the bead if you lose pressure. The rim to tire fit is tighter than a motorcycle tire on that rim. It typically took over 60 psi to set the bead. I know a guy that pulled the valve stem and did burnouts on the wheel to see if he could break the bead and he couldn't. (he did it both on a RF and a non-RF CT with the same results....personally I wouldn't run a non-RF...they don't have the sidewall rigidity needed and they are even worse than a MC tire if you had a rapid deflation event....and most MC tire blowouts on the rear of a GL1800 result in a crash)

This isn't the case on all rims and all bikes. I tried to install a CT on a 17" rim for a guy once and the bead was extremely loose. I could break the bead under full pressure by pushing on it with my finger and air would seep out. He wanted to ride it anyway but I said no and took it off. No way was I going to be a part of that.

Point being, a CT works well in a few situations but not all of them. A GL1800 is a great place to use one. I think you'll like it quite a bit.

Last edited:
Back